The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » FOUR!!! (Two, really.)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FOUR!!! (Two, really.)
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2014 06:43 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Went out Sunday morning for a little time with Jesus, and my buddy Kevin. We were out trying to locate yet another of the many, many black panthers that seem to have infested the state of Kansas for the last fifty+ years. damned funny thing,... the guy who saw it was within thirty yards of it yet, when we walked the entirety of the muddy creek bottom he was near, there was, well, nothing. We did find two sets of coyote tracks and a shitload of sheep shit. In the interest of full disclosure, we did stumble upon three cougars later on, all Mercury Cougars. '97's, I think. The guy collects them and parts them out. Anyway, I digress......

Second setup, we went to this nice spot that scored me a dandy bobcat last year. I've been waiting patiently to get in here because the owner had it in milo and he just cut it last week.

Little disappointed to see how high some of the stubble is because for the past several years, they've been nubbing her off at the ground. This year, it's knee high if not taller than a standing coyote.

Anyway, I get in there and the outside rows of stubble are over 2 feet tall, so I move in about ten rows and find a hide where things get a little better. I set the call in front of me and sit down looking about 125 yards across this stubble into a really long line of brushpiles that they formed last year clearing the trees off where I was now sitting.

Now, in order to fully understand the marvel of what happens next, I must take a few moments to describe my armament. Seeing as how we now live in Obama's brave new Amerika, I no longer own any guns. Not a one. Gave them all away. Not responsible enough to have them anymore and the threat of them just going on a shooting spree all by themselves was more than my conscious could take. So, I was using a golf club.

Nine iron, to be exact. Don't know the make or model, except old and bent a little just up the shaft from the heavy thing at the end.

I took the remote control to the caller in my left hand and raised the golf club over my head with the right. I figured that I would key in the proper code and get a good hold on the handle of the club with both hands and just hope that anything that came in didn't take too long. Didn't want to get tired, you know.

Imagine my surprise when, just twenty seconds after the caller starts playing, I see something creeping toward me through the milo stalks. Ten feet. Five feet. He's almost on the caller. It's a bobcat!

I bring the club down with near superhuman force hoping I don't catch the speaker of my caller and crease that 'cat smack dab across the top of the head. Knowing how tough they can be, I follow up with what might have appeared to the untrained eye to be nothing short of frantic flailing, but every swing was calculated and surgical in its application.

After a few good whacks, I spot movement from my left.

Coyote! Hard charger, too!

One handed, by God, I swung that club with everything I had and caved that poor coyote's head in with the first "thwack". No one was more surprised than I, I'm telling you (except for maybe the coyote).

My first double-double - two species, two animals on the same stand.

-

Note the look of elation on my face. Also, no gun in the picture, so this story has to be true.

[ November 26, 2014, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it.
............'course I also believe in Tinker Bell, The Great Pumpkin and that Catherine Zeta Jones will return my phone calls.

[Big Grin]

By the way, congrats on the double.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2014 08:08 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Lance! Awesome story!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The truth is actually just about as good. This is a spot we found a couple years ago. It was heavily wooded at the north half of this quarter section but last year they dozed a LOT of it into a long brush pile that is all of 400 yards long and fifty feet wide. I got one 'cat out of there last year on the second time calling him. The first time, he stepped out at about 300 yards and just sat, not coming any closer. The second time, I snuck in close and he stepped out of the same spot but was only 50 yards from where I'd dug in. He died.

Been watching that spot for a month and a half waiting for them to cut the milo. Very disappointed when they cut it so tall. Hell, it's taller than a coyote stands. So, we moved in on a spot that was about 125 yards across from a fence line to the brush piles. I walked out about 20 yards and put the U1 down. The edge of the field was actually along a very short downslope so I opted to sit down in the midst of a couple of unusually tall rows of stubble. Got my sticks set and checked my range from left to right. First time out with a Witt Machine brake on the AR and had no idea how the gun would handle, but WTH.

Turned the caller on with a fresh new cottontail sound that will be marketed in the next year by Rick Paillet as part of a new e-caller platform being created by Lucky Duck decoys. I am one of four guys beta testing the sound library.

Anyway, about 20 seconds after turning it on, I see something greyish colored moving in from the right of the caller about ten feet from the unit. All I can see is a body part about six inches tall and 2 inches wide through a gap between the dry milo leaves. Whatever it is disappears and for the next ten feet, all I can see to track its position by is the stalks moving as it creeps along. Then, about a foot from the caller, a face appears and it's a bobcat. He had to have been within 20 yards of me when I placed that caller. I had to make a decision at this point. It appeared to be a small cat and with our cat prices being down right now, I needed to choose whether or not to let it walk. I chose to shoot. I found the head in the scope, confirmed what I was looking at as a cat and aimed just behind the jaw and shot. He went down and began flopping around and kicking.

Now, anyone who has shot a bobcat knows that you need to anchor them with the first shot or those bastards get pissed and find all the rest of their nine lives as they get the hell outta Dodge, so I made the call to jump up, took about five steps forward and confirmed that it was down for good before turning back around and going back to where I was sitting. Entry just behind the head on the left side of the neck and exiting through the right side of the rib cage, neither hole bigger than a dime.

No more than I got sat down and the gun in the sticks, I looked up and saw something new on the opposite edge of the field. Raised the rifle and it was a coyote. All I could see was its head from the lower jaw up and it was looking right at me. It looked to my right for a second, then back at me again. My gut told me he was getting ready to evac so I put the crosshairs right between his eyes and shot, figuring I would either kill him dead or miss him entirely. You have to love that BANG-THUMP combo, and with that new brake, I was able to see his head pitch back and him drop out of sight.

Turns out I smacked him about 1/4-inch to the left of dead center between the eyes, no exit.

There was, maybe, thirty seconds between shooting the cat and then shooting the coyote. I have had a lot of doubles on coyotes, and whacked my share of bobcats, but this is only the second time I've had both a cat and a coyote in the same scenario like this. The other time, I had a cat at about forty yards and spotted a coyote standing at a hundred just inside the tree line on this creek. The cat was very concerned about the coyote and just locked down. I worked and worked and the cat just would not budge, and the coyote seemed scared of coming through the cat to get to me. Since I had both my rifle and shotty with me, I shot the coyote in the face, dropped the rifle and grabbed the scattergun and jumped up and ran to where the cat was last seen in hopes of flushing it and getting a running shot. Killed the coyote. Never saw the cat again. So this was my second chance at a double-double and my first time to pull it off. After 37 years of calling, there aren't many firsts on your home turf, so it made for a memorable day.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2014 02:36 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
second story is better than the first, for sure. Of course, I don't golf so any time golf comes into a story, I about fall asleep.

shelterbelt?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2014 05:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, seems to be a winner

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to golf, like many things when young and stupid, but am cured.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2014 06:55 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A golf course is a waste of a potentially very nice rifle range!
And congrats on the double, cdog! Don't see that very often!!!
I do remember watching a Verminators video where they caught a cat/coyote double on film though! That was really cool to see the two animals posturing at each other!!!

[ December 03, 2014, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Rick has had me field testing these new sounds and I let him know shortly after it happened. He's been trying to get with me to do some hunting and this would have been a great opportunity.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize a mixed double was particularly rare? I know I have done it, but never gave it that much thought, to the point that I couldn't tell you how many times it has occurred? It's just not very rare.

Like I said, don't ask me to document it because I have not kept track. I can say that it occurs more frequently at night than daylight stands.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I should say that I can't even point to a recent example? I still don't consider it a rare event.

[ December 03, 2014, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2014 07:24 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I would call it rare. Know a lot of guys who have done it. Just the first time I have sealed the deal personally. Seems like every time I have been offered the chance, cat season hasn't been open or one or the other didn't offer a great shot. cat numbers and coyote numbers tend to teeter totter around here. When coyote numbers fall, cats fill in the gaps and versa vica. Just happy to have the chance and knocked 'em both down.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters