The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » African pics (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: African pics
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my best night.

- [/URL]

Here is a few more random pics...

- [/URL]

- [/URL]

- [/URL]

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 07:31 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Couple more.

-

-

Good hunting.

Q,

[ March 03, 2015, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Q-Wagoner ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, reminds me of my trip! And the fact that I never got the caracal I was very interested in bagging. That last one, is it an African wildcat?

We had suppressors, but I never used one? They are quite casual about them over there. The Blesbuck I got would make Roland Ward. So would the Black Wildebeast. Ah yes, strolling Memory Lane.

You know, coyotes and jackals are so similar but the thing that struck me was that the jackals seemed much heavier for their size. Being used to dragging thirty pound coyotes, I would pick up a jackal that looked about the same size but it seemed to weigh 35, not 30. I just mean, the weight kinda fooled me, size for size.

You are very fortunate to do this stuff when you can.

Thanks for sharing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is an African wild cat. It was a very large tom. I really wanted him for a pedestal mount but the 22-250 destroyed the cape. had to settle for a European mount.

this trip was the best ever. Geordie pussed out so be sure to rub him about it.

Good hunting.

Q,

[ November 03, 2014, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Q-Wagoner ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted September 06, 2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, what a puss!

I can't believe it? Not much into hunting, are ya? Where you going to get another deal like this?

At least you still have your career as spellin police.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 08:53 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this trip was the best ever. Geordie pussed out so be sure to rub him about it.
What the hell!!!! While one of us was sitting around watching Tom and Jerry and planning a trip to Africa, the other had no idea; and didn't even have a passport. I will be ready next time.....and holding you to it! LOL

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 09:17 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, he was totally unprepared. You would think if you really wanted to go he would have had his passport already? Just saying.... He still hasn't gotten one!

one hundred thousand acres all to ourselves, tons of jackal, caracal around every bend in the road and more big game than you can count and he left me high and dry. What a friend ehh? my shoulder got sore trying to take up his slack but you have to do what you have to do. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

[ November 03, 2014, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Q-Wagoner ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoulda called, big guy.

You can expedite a passport in about a week and a half, BTW.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a fabulous trip.
Geordie ! What the Hell?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 02:20 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Totally cool !!!!

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 06:06 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 09:02 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie is up for "Mangiana" of the year but I will give him a little slack, it was a bit of a short notice. When I get a little time I will try to get some pics off of my camera posted. The ones above are just what I took with my phone. I got several good baboons and one on film I shot out of a tree at 586 yards.

I really enjoyed shooting the tactical rifle over their but it was a pain in the ass to lug around. Once you got set up though I felt like the master of the universe. LOL The area we were in allowed for a lot of long range shooting opportunities so the rifle was a good fit. My long shot of the trip was 725 on a springbok and one of the blue wildebeest I got was at 680 something.

Next year "If he gets around to getting his passport" Geordie will get to keep 6.5 Creed barrel nice and warm. That is if he ever gets the G7 BC ironed out on those 140s he is shooting. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2014 03:39 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie is close enough to me I will just go up and hide in his suit case so I can go to. Q was the cost of the trip bad? it looks like it was fun as could be, glad you had a good time

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2014 04:21 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
What an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing. Did you eat the porcupine?

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
With the closures of a couple African countries to hunting the prices will be going up but for now they are surprisingly reasonable. The costs very greatly depending on what you want to shoot. Each species has a different price range. Springbok will cost 250 to 400 dollars for a good trophy and a warthog trophy may go for 350. A good quality Red Lechwe like in the photo above may run you $3000 or more.

Really if you are not a collector you can have a ball hunting the less expensive common plains game and varmints. You can even do cull hunts very reasonable where you shoot non trophies for meat.

Be careful though and be warned! Africa is addictive. On my first trip over I just wanted to shoot a few jackals. Now I have taken over 40 species and have two houses that are starting to resemble natural history museums! LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Edit: no we didn't eat the porky pine. The workers made "biltong " jerkey out of it.

[ September 07, 2014, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Q-Wagoner ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2014 06:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, bobcats LOVE porcupines. Sometimes they have to first learn to flip them where they can get at the unprotected belly.

Yes, there are economy animals and pricy animals. Where I was, warthogs were a freebee, all you had to do was wait by a water hole. No guarantee, of course, but if you stake out enough water holes, you stand a good chance. Plus, whatever else might show up.

Africa is a different experience, I suspect there is nowhere like it? We left a jackal laying by the shop early one morning and by the time we took a nap and got up, the help had skinned, butchered and ate the damned thing! But, a guy can kill a dozen animals, easily, in the same time as you might spend chasing a caribou or a black bear. And, probably for a comparable amount of money, not counting airfare.

Africa is a bargain, Internationally, compared to Mexico or Canada.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool photos!
Man, some of those jackal sure have a beautiful & distinct blanket back coloration...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2014 04:29 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Q
How do the Jackals behave are they like coyotes at all ? I know they hunt together more like wolves but that's all I've gotten from doc's I've seen.

[ September 08, 2014, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Their are a lot similarities but also some distinct differences. They respond much the same to calling though. As far as ease of calling I would say it is the same with the exception that I feel that the jackal tends to be more nocturnal. At least in the areas that I have hunted them. I have taken 75 now in several different provinces under different circumstances and that is just the feel I get from them. Nothing scientific just a feel?

Good hunting.

Q,

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2014 07:10 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
For a lot of the African predators their are a North American counterpart.

Good hunting.

Q,

[ September 08, 2014, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Q-Wagoner ]

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
That is something I always wanted to do. Go to South Africa and do a predator/plains game safari. Maybe even a leopard hunt. There was a time when I felt it was a real possibility but that hope has evaporated with the great recession. I didn't lose any property in this fiasco but I did lose value. I recently sold out one piece of land for a decent price considering today's values but there isn't enough left over for me to spend 10-15k on a safari. I'm not complaining. I actually feel lucky because we are certainly better off than most families.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2014 11:18 AM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Family always comes first of course but don't give up on Africa. I can hook you up on a very good hunt for half of that.

Good hunting.

Q,

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I"ll keep that in mind. The wife and I have a short bucket list going. First she wants to go Ireland. Next is my Colorado river trip. Next might just be a cruise to Alaska in a rather unconventional mode: I'll sell a rental property and by a 35'-40' boat and drive up there my self. My wife hates the idea of a cruise ship with 3,000 other people and I really want to cruise to Alaska. Upon return sell the boat. I'm sure the gas and mooring fees will eat a bunch of the money before we get back. I'm sure a first class cruise trip would be a lot cheaper. The last item will probably never but it might.

I'll keep it in mind and
Thanks for offering

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's your money, az and you can do with it, as you wish. However....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Delegation of duties AZ, you need to put Leonard and I in charge of your bucket list. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters