The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Decoy Dog Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Decoy Dog Advice
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2014 08:39 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting a mountain cur pup in September specifically for decoying coyotes. I've read everything I can find about decoy dogs and have watched all the videos I could find. With that said I'm open to any advice that might make this experience good for the both of us. I've raised and trained bird dogs before. I also call in and kill a lot of coyotes. So I have basic dog training knowledge and this dog will see lots of coyotes. I'm hoping for any advice that will help me train him to run to the howl and then return when I want him back.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Run him with a dog that goes to howls.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2014 10:18 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly,
I wish that were an option but I don't know a single person locally that has a decoy dog let alone has one that runs to a howl. So I'm pretty much completely on my own here.

On a side not I've sure been impressed with how well your dogs are doing on those videos you post. Please keep doing that as I watch everyone one of them multiple times.

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have not found a consistant way to get one to go to howls. Even running them with another dog doesnt work for all of them.
I sold a dog to a buddy of mine and he is going to howls real well "most of the time". That dog was pretty green, but we showed a bunch of coyotes the last couple of months.

Maybe Cal or Randy has a training method that has worked for them.

I can also show you a bunch on vids of the azz of a coyote that took a look and left without working the dogs...but they really aint much to look at.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2014 11:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is something I have noticed, while watching all the footage of dogs working coyotes. Specifically, often as not, a coyote will run the other way and not be interested in defending territory. Of course, that's not taking into account the denning season and the reason for coyote dogs in the first place.

Then, we got the aggressive dog versus the shy dog versus the aggressive alpha dog versus the aggressive "pair", and on and on.

Not to mention, (face it) a dog is a pain in the ass in a vehicle. I mean, if you have an open PU and a dog box, that's wonderful, but having a dog shake rain and snow in a cab and get muddy hoof prints all over the upholstery, not to mention nosing up all the windows.

But, DAMN! it's fun to watch, ain't it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2014 09:02 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had my best luck with using my caller and setting a hotdog in front of it. I dont let the dog see me do it or know its out there. I let my dog stretch alittle bit then take him or her out and play a coyote howl. I then encourage the dog to go to the sound and will walk them out to it if need be. I start close at around 50 yards and slowly stetch it out. Soon the dog does not need any encouragement. They get going on there own. The bringing them back is alittle more difficult but after they get chewed on alittle they realize saftey with with ol Dad back at the rifle. Give them time and they come around.
Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted August 01, 2014 04:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Brent. That's actually brilliant.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2014 07:51 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys. Brent that is exactly the kind of advice/help I'm looking for.
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2014 06:06 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard, U 21 hope it helps. Enjoy the new pup.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters