The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Urban legends or coyote smarts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urban legends or coyote smarts?
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2003 09:20 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one: The coyote dogs send the "coyote bitch in heat" into one of the farm yards. The domestic dogs pursue her into the pasture where the coyote dogs wait in ambush to kill the farm dog.

Here's another: A coyote lures a big domestic dog and a little one away from the farm. The coyote is first running hard with the big dog in pursuit and little one lagging behind. Once the 3 critters are well away from the farm, the coyote slows down his pace and lets the big dog slowly catch up. Meanwhile, the little dog is quite a ways behind trying to catch up. Just as the big dog nears the coyote, the coyote swaps ends and runs straight toward the lagging little dog, gets there, and nearly kills it before the big dog has time to arrive.

I don't recall where I heard the first story but the second story was supposedly witnessed by a field biologist here in Colorado. What say you? Urban legend or coyote smarts?

Ever here any others yourself? Let's hear 'em.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Never hear either one. I doubt both, never seen it, but there are things I haven't seen, so that doesn't mean a whole lot, all by itself.

The one I have heard, and tend to believe is the parent coyotes tolling anybody, and anything away from the den, then disappearing, until they get too close, again. Sort of, the coyote version of the "broken wing" decoy.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 05:09 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I had someone tell me once that anytime you call a coyote and don't take it that coyote will tell all its pack members and none of them will ever come to a call again.
IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 

[ February 20, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 08:32 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Loc
There's a book called Voice of the Coyote by Frank Dobie I think. It's packed full of stories of just what you described. Observations of coyotes doing things via teamwork. Published in the early 60s. E-mail me if you want to read it, I may be able to round it up. I'll be back from work in 7 days.

I've also heard a coyote will tell his buddies bad news or warnings. I don't want to flat out believe it but, I hate underestimating coyotes.

Brad

[ December 30, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: brad h ]

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 01:43 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Story Lance. Perhaps, they were people hungry knowing full well that you'd be soon to follow Cody. [Wink]

Brad,
Yes, I'm very interested and I will e-mail.
The book sounds very cool. Are they true for real for real stories, or will they only have me wondering again if they are true tales? I love to believe that stuff, even if it isn't true. I love holding my quarry in high regard. They are the smarteset critter on the planet you know!!!! [Wink]

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, LOL LOL Rich!

--------------------

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 08:50 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Years back I witnessed a single coyote try to get a dog to cross the road. The dog would not leave it's yard and the coyote keept watching me watch it from a few hundred yards away and decided it was time to go. As it did, so did three other coyotes that were hiding in the brush on the other side of the road. That sure looked like an ambush to me.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 

[ February 20, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 12:03 PM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
Am reading that book now, it is very good.

When I was a kid , we had a neighbor that said that he watched some coyotes attack his Doberman. I know that the Dobie was chewed up, but As onery as that dobie was he probably provoked it all, and had it coming.

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 01:47 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
The book is a must read for anyone really interested in the coyote.
When I was a kid in south central Wash. I had a friend who lived on a wheat ranch on the Horse Heaven Hills. They had two White European German Shepherds, the long-legged hundred pound dogs. The two would roam the coulees at night chasing coyotes and would often need medical attention for cuts. One of the dogs didn't return, they found it in an open wheatfield, bled out. I wonder how many coyotes it took. Or how few.

IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

Hee Hee, very funny mister smarty pants!!! And by the way, my name isn't Locohoead! LOL [Wink]

Rich, I met a rancher that lost a big dog to coyotes. I asked him how a little 30 pounder or 2 could of killed the dog. He responded that, "Its not the size of the critter, but the size of the fight inside the critter." I figured, yeah, well, dogs eat out of a dish for a living and coyotes kill daily for a living. It makes sense to me.

--------------------

Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one: A Tommy barn cat lounges out in the hay field at night as two coyotes approach the cat. The cat stands up, arches its back and lets out shrill noises and stands its ground. The coyotes run away back into the woods. The cat isn't even a third of the size of one coyote.

Minutes later as the cat leaves a buck comes out to graze. Out come the two coyotes again from the same place they ran into and immediately proceed to chase the deer at high speed.

Urban Legend or Coyote Smart?

[Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Tom Cat, my guess is that the coyotes were puppies, or Urban Legend! Out here, in my neck of the woods, a bigger cat just means a bigger dinner! LOL

Chasing a whitetail? Coyote Smarts!

--------------------

Coyote_250
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 04:47 PM      Profile for Coyote_250   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If Rich says it is a must read, I will be e-mailing also. I hunt often with my two labs. The oldest was taken down nearly 12 years ago when one got her attention and another came in from behind her and took her down. She (Molly) was 5 months old then. She hasn't been taken down since last year when a large male grabbed her by the eye socket. She swelled up quite badly and hates coyotes even more, unfortunately she is getting quite slow for them.

Bob

Posts: 16 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters