The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » 2016 CAMPOUT   » in any case....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: in any case....
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2016 07:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
if you go, tell us about it. Sounds like conditions might be knarly? That's always good for fond memories, adverse weather, etc.

But, if winter adventure is something "been there, done that" no thank you; then maybe scrubbing the mission was/is fortuitous?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2016 08:19 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Was probably fortuitous. Pretty classic week for weather. and there was some everyday, all week. The ski resorts are reporting ~80 inches of snow. Not that much in Ash Fork, but plenty to mess access up. You just never know. It was gonna be cold for sure, but El Nino showed up too.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2016 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I can well imagine!

You know, I have said this before, but when reminiscing, we always harken to the adversity. Major storms, cold, flood, etc. I remember sitting elbow to elbow all freakin' night in a blizzard, unable to even break out the tenting and the back was so crammed with gear that we had no choice. One of the most miserable nights, ever. But, I still treasure the memory, in a perverse way.

But, still. You don't start out thinking, WOW, I WANT LOTS OF BAD WEATHER ON MY HUNT !

The above elbow to elbow was in the northern Sierra's but another time, I just remembered, we were in Raton, New Mexico and again forced to "sleep" in the cab. In the morning, the entire inside of the truck had a quarter inch of frost and ice from condensate. In just jackets, like sleeping in a damned refrigerator! An alternator problem and dead battery, otherwise we might have idled the engine all night.

Anyway, I got a million of them, but the point is shit happens, you don't intentionally look for trouble, especially if you have a choice. I feel bad about the whole deal. But, from my perspective, getting a group together for something like this is really like herding cats; and I'm not very good at it.

Maybe next time?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters