The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Politics forum   » One of my favorite beefs - RECYCLING

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One of my favorite beefs - RECYCLING
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 11:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought everybody knew this, but recycling is a sham. I'm no visionary, but the numbers don't add up. They sell you Christmas Cards made with about 20% recycled paper and it costs 20/50% more so they charge you 65-75% more and people feel good about paying too much for the privilege of being an environmentalist. It's a con job. Nobody would ever speak out against the environment! So it costs a couple pennies more, but you are doing the right thing.

It's a waste of time, people! Read this article and get smart.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/recycling-waste-of-money-time/

And, after you are done, lets' talk about the scandelous bullshit, paying 5 cents recycling fee, and you get it back when you return the empties. What a bunch of bullshit!

In the Sate of California alone, that nickel adds up to several billion dollars in an account that will never do anything but increase. It's not justified. First of all, look at how everybody buys case after case of bottled water. They say it's (what) about three bucks but the deposit adds another dollar, or you add it up, I don't really know? The point is, that's extra money that everybody just throws away, no hope and no intent of ever redeeming the deposit.

That money is sitting in an interest bearing account and it's billions of dollars. The public is getting fucked. There is no justification for charging this money and it just sits there, nobody ever makes a trip to the recycling center for plastic bottles. Yes, the wacko homeless people bring the bottles but that accounts for (pick a number) 5% of the bottles that wind up in the landfill.

You know who gets the blame? ENVIRONMENTALISTS. These are the same people that can't tax your plastic straws, so they ban them. And you are too stupid to complain. I give up!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 02:57 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
100% correct.
Recycling is big business, simple as that. Any perceived or tangible benefit to the environment is an afterthought & happily used as marketing fodder...

Kinda like electric cars that use batteries made from strip mined material, and charged by electricity from (mostly) coal power. The fact that "saving the environment" encompasses destroying the environment isn't given a second thought. Heck, it ain't given any thought, at all...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 03:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
AND

It's the same as hauling around a several hundred pound Natural gas tank, or in the case, a several hundred pound battery that has a finite battery life, then it's landfill. The point is, battery operated forklifts are great in a food plant, but given a choice, that gas engine or even a propane motor is far more efficient than an electric, and you don't have hundreds of pounds of waste every few years.

If you have a reason, that's fine but to bill battery powered as the wave of the future because they don't pollute, that's complete bullshit.

It's a shame that the "environmental movement" is a large part con job. Where it does benefit, fine but they sell this stuff as if they don't have to justify anything, just a couple buzzwords and everybody nods their heads; yeah, like cool!

I'm a skeptic.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: oh shit, and I forgot my main reason for wading back in here. LIGHT BULBS! Boy is that a con job! What are they called? Compact Florescent? Have you ever read the procedures for cleanup? It's like a nuclear accident, and it's a small amount of mostly mercury powder. Never mind that they charge 6-8 dollars where a comparable incandescent might be a buck and a half. but, wow! It will save 4 cents worth of electricity in a years time! That aught to be worth 6-8 dollars any day, right? Conjob! But the worst part is they force it on you! That's the thing with Liberals. You have to do what they say. Or, they will hammer you. And, I have a whole house full of table lamps with 3 way switches. They only have one amp rating and one intensity with a florescent.

[ March 09, 2019, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 04:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that if more than a few electric cars are charging in any one block the electric grid has a meltdown. Meaning ………….. entire neighborhoods will need to be rewired to handle the load. That's gotta be spendy but hey, we're big time 'green' now !!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2019 08:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard that too, ko ko. Maybe, in some cases, near Safford. lol

But, during the Arab boycott in the 70's, we used to let our teenagers stand in line at the gas pumps on Odd/Even days.

So, I came up with this great idea. A natural gas compressor in every garage, because what house doesn't have a gas line? So you get home, hook up you converted gas engine and sorta "download" the tank, or best case have an extra being filled while you are at work and just switch it when you get home.

Really, how much would it cost to convert? At one time SoCal Gas would do the conversion for nothing, but you were on your own for refilling the tank. So, I started to look into compressors, and by then the crisis was over so who gives a shit?

But the idea is, Natural gas is the cheapest energy on the planet. Whoever has to pay for propane knows the difference. It's kind of a monopoly, priced closer to gasoline. But, at least in Kalifornia, the Public Utilities Commission decides the price and it's very cheap and the Gas Company still makes a profit, proving that energy can be cheap and plentiful and we are being ripped of in taxes by the state and federal, etc.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2019 09:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of thoughts on propane...……….
Calif. would need to think up a bunch of new smog equipment requirements for $$$.
and
The thought of a bunch of clods filling and venting propane tanks in garages, carports, etc. is kind of frightening.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted March 11, 2019 07:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh brother! You frighten much too easily. Thomas Edison himself said that AC electricity was much too dangerous for the masses. He recommended DC. Meaning, every problem has a solution.

I think, in 1910, it was required that anybody driving a horseless carriage through town was required to have a flagman proceed him waving said flag as a warning. Must not frighten horses and little children....AND KO KO.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2019 08:39 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In my mis-spent youth I 'may' have abused propane, closed containers and a variety of ignition systems.
Sometimes potatoes were also involved.

I have a healthy respect for what propane is capable of.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2019 12:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'd suggest that you might be a perfect candidate for electric powered vehicles. But don't smoke around that battery compartment, fumes, etc.

Wimp! [Smile]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2019 01:20 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah come on. Its just hydrogen gas.... Can't be that harmful. [Big Grin]
Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2019 05:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Chinese have recently decided that they're tired of accepting all our garbage in the name of "recycling". Big rush now in figuring out a way to process it domestically.

We have a great recycling center here in town. City funded. You can drop off your shit off for free, and even your yard waste like leaves and grass clippings. Branches and brush every other Saturday. No charge. The organics are mulched with a machine they built themselves and, when the compost is ready to use, you can get a truckload for free - first come, first serve - and they have a guy there with a front loader to fill you up. Again, funded by taxes so it's no cost to drop off or pick up.

Contrasting that with the city of Salina down the road. They are bigger and more enlightened as to big world ways. You pay $10 a load to drop off, and $10-20 a load for mulch when it's finished being processed. Literally getting folks coming and going. And people support that.

All I can do is wonder sometimes.

For the record, all I recycle is aluminum. For years, I've given all our soda cans to an old retired Navy rat on a fixed income. Helluva nice guy and it helps him out. He died recently, so all our aluminum goes into a big trailer at the grocery store now where the folks with Honor Flights gathers cans all over the state and uses the proceeds to help with the cost of flying vets to DC.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters