The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Politics forum   » BAN PLASTIC STRAWS, SAVE A TURTLE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BAN PLASTIC STRAWS, SAVE A TURTLE
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted July 20, 2018 12:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my pet peeves. Some asshole environmentalist decides to do something to save the world. Last year, in california, it was plastic bags. In Kalifornia, now you have to walk out of a store with your purchases in your pocket or buy a bag. These CONTROL FREAKS want everything their way. Just like most of their policies, it's always based on really sketchy data but they are insistent and the NAZI authorities jump on the band wagon. I'm fed up! Too damned many stupid regulations. Can you believe it? This latest harebrained idea was started by a ten year old.

read here:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/19/john-stossel-absurd-hysteria-around -plastic-straws.html

[ July 20, 2018, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2018 12:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another knee jerk response to environmental NAZI's. These control freaks need to be bitch slapped.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/plastic-straw-ban-santa-barbara-jail-time-punishment/

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2018 12:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, it's so hard to believe that Calif. is going broke and on the verge of imploding under the weight of all of the programs that make the left feel so good about themselves.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2018 12:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And another thing …………
I keep hearing about plastic lasting 100,000 years in a landfill.
I don't know about landfills but I use milk jugs for novelty targets on my archery range. Six months in the Arizona sun and they're crumbling to the touch.
Methinks somebody's blowing smoke up my ass.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2018 04:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's another thing. These people that throw out the instant statistics and then they are treated as enshrined truth from on high. Nobody questions numbers originally pulled out of his ass, whoever is telling us this stuff. Why?

I heard that this plastic straw crusade was started by a kid that did a little telephone research and came up with that 500,000 number. Whether it was per day or per year or whatever, it's a shocking number that was something like 300% over what he was told in the first place but then it went viral and CONTROL FREAKS being what they are, (assholes) they decided something needed to be done because saving the fricken polar bears was getting to be old shit. I read something by somebody that basically said that Liberals are unhappy idiots, always worried about something. Yet they smoke dope, which theoretically should mellow them out, but no. It must really suck to be a Liberal?

So, now we start getting some real data, like plastic straws comprise .02% of ocean plastic trash. And, the US contributes 1%, yet the fucking do gooders mobilize and within weeks, Starbucks has banned straws and a city, (probably San Franfuckingcisco) already passed a $1000 fine per straw. Includes jail, BTW.

Don't we have REAL problems that need to be solved?

The same bogus theory started the plastic bag law in The People's Republik. Once the control freaks got everybody mobilized and pushed through the stupid law, now we find out that people actually REUSE these bags. Who knew? Oh yeah, and now we find out that the litter that everybody was so upset about, the numbers were based on lies. Turns out that the plastic bag litter along the highway is around 2% . Why do these idiots get the vapors over a 2% problem? Don't know but it makes them feel good to know that they forced people to do something. Sickos! Mental illness! I told you! Nobody listens to me!

God, it must be miserable to be a friggin' Liberal!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS end of rant!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they could outlaw all of the syringes laying in the gutter in Frisco?

My question is...whatever happened to recycling? All I heard about in my youth was how they were turning this into that....turning everything back into raw materials and making other shit out of it? Is that still a thing? Apparently not.

And another thing...theres trash laying around on land/in the ocean? Well no shit...create some jobs and fucking clean it up?

Give a hoot/dont pollute...remember that damn owl? Run those commercials again, problem solved!
Mark
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2018 08:57 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding plastic bags at the grocery store...if you are on welfare of some kind you do not pay for them. Everyone else its 10 cents a pop. Actually, I think all plastic bags are now banned and you have to buy paper bags or BYO? Dont know, wife does all the shopping.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They found out that using recycle paper, for instance in oh say greeting cards, it costs 40% more to use recycled paper....or was it 60% less to forget the whole thing and just use fresh paper that's not so rustic looking?

Believe it or not, it's basically the same thing with glass and aluminum; the trouble of gathering it, sorting, etc etc exceeds the bulk mining with huge machinery, but hey, it's the feeling that you are doing something for the environment is what counts, not that it makes sense, as in dollars and cents.

And, as ko ko said, plastic is a generalized word for a lot of very different things. And, some of those things really do degrade exposed to sunlight, crumbles and granulates. Yes, although water is the universal solvent, most "plastics" discarded in the ocean will not decompose for a very long time, possibly hundreds of years? But eons? Doubtful? And, if the stuff is on shore and rolling around in the sand and abraded, it won't survive for thousands of years.

Basically, it's like the old saying, "Figures lie and Liars figure" or something like that and what was attributed to Harry Truman, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics". Not only that, but 59 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot, including this one.

I saved aluminum cans, started just to help my grandson for a little spending money and he left town but I continued to save and crush those stupid cans. And, I'm all by myself, don't drink a lot of soda anyway, but like a good trooper, I saved those stupid aluminum cans....for years! As the barrel filled up I was shaking it vigorously to settle the contents and get another 20/30 cans in there. Finally, the big day arrived where I could not stick another can in the barrel and it was off to the recycling center. They gave me $46 for 5 or 6 years saving, maybe $8 a year? Now that was three months ago and that barrel only has about fifteen crushed cans at the bottom. Should I die before filling that barrel again, somebody is going to make a big tax free score!

This recycling crap is overrated. In Mexico, you can see greasy smoke all over the horizon, here and there. The peons steal wire wherever they can and burn the insulation off which also takes the temper out of the metal and then it's easy to bend and pound and make more compact. They will steal 500MCM cable that costs several dollars a foot and burn it for the scrap price, pennies on the dollar. In some places it seems like the only people with a job, (other than the guys irrigating) are burning stolen copper wire.

Yes, I think a good portion of this recycling is a hoax, feel good shit. And don't get me started on outlawing incandescent lightbulbs and replacing them with the dangerous & polluting compact fluorescent; and that cost 700% more. There again, when they say, yeah but they last twenty years, that's another statistic they pull out of their ass. Go ahead, try to prove them wrong.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2018 04:55 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Plastics are petroleum derivatives.
Where does petroleum originate from?

Recycling has become more about profiteering, than anything. The 'saving the planet' part is more feel good marketing ploy, than the driving factor.

Do the math...

[ July 27, 2018, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters