The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Politics forum   » Water For Wildlife, etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Water For Wildlife, etc.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2018 12:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am copying this for one reason and that is to show the power and intractability of FACEBOOK.

Never mind that this copyright infringement seems petty, to me and the party complaining could care less about another organization with similar objective. But, after six years, the other guy complains and just like that, no hearing, nothing, and these people are totally locked out and apparently have to start from scratch, if at all. FaceBook has too damned much power, and I will never darken their door, never have, either! They make the rules and enforce the rules and tough shit if you don't like it. They are EVIL, they need to be cut down to size, in my opinion.
************************************************************************************

Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:12:07 PM
Subject: Water for Wildlife Facebook Page?!

To All

You can read the letters below showing a problem that has come up regarding us using "Water for Wildlife".
There is an organization called "Water for Wildlife Foundation" and they say we are infringing upon their copyright by using water for wildlife as our facebook page. It seems to me that these folks would have given us some advanced notice before having our facebook page shut down? It is shut down and it looks like it will remain shut down. David Sims has been administering our facebook page for the last six years. Dave wrote the letter below to see if we could reach some agreement regarding this matter. You can read their reply for yourself.

I am sending this email to all asking any of you for advice regarding this issue. We need to come up with another name that these folks can live with. Something close but not to close to infringe upon their copyright?

If you can send me what you think might work, we can open another facebook page.

I come up with H204wildlife

Let me know what you think?

Thanks

Cliff McDonald

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Cliff McDonald <bigmc@citlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2018 9:00 PM

Cliff,

Water for Wildlife Foundation has had the Water for Wildlife Facebook page removed for Trademark infringement. Unfortunately, because they reported it, it was taken down and I am locked out. Had they contacted me, I could have simply changed the name. Then, all FB followers would have got a notification that the name changed, and everything would have been fine. I contacted the complaining party and asked that we reach an agreement. We will use Water for Wildlife East Mojave Desert or SPCW Water for Wildlife, or something similar. I will let you know what happens. In the meantime, maybe you can just send an Email to the list and let them know why they page is down. Kind of a bad time with the public comment period just extended....

David G. Sims

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 6:41 PM
To: vickie@waterforwildlife.com

Vickie,

My name is David Sims, and I represent Society for the Protection and Care of Wildlife. We are a 501 (c) (3), and we work on small game guzzlers, big game drinkers, and other water sources in the Mojave National Preserve and surrounding areas in the Eastern Mojave Desert. We have become more commonly known as "Water for Wildife", because this is the name of our conservation projects. We have been operating under SPCW and having WFW projects for over a decade, and are well known by this name in our region. Our Facebook page has existed for about 6 years without a problem. Now, you have had our page removed; consequently, we have lost contact with 850 followers. This comes at a bad time, because the NPS is proposing to remove all of the man made water sources in the MNP. The comment period was just extended, and we need as many comments as we can get. Our two organizations need to reach some sort of agreement here so I can have my page restored. If you would have contacted me, rather than report me, I could have had the opportunity to change the name of the page without loosing my followers. Now I am locked out of the page.

With your distinct logo, I see the two organizations as being easily differentiated. I propose that I change the name of my page to Water for Wildlife East Mojave Desert or Water for Wildlife EMD to reflect our website. At the same time, I also propose that you you use your organizations entire title, Water for Wildlife Foundation. as your page name.

http://www.waterforwildlifeemd.com/
Water for Wildlife - East Mojave Desert
www.waterforwildlifeemd.com
We are old time conservationists. We do real, on the ground projects to benefit wildlife. We build and repair wildlife drinkers. We clean out springs and tinajas.

Water for Wildlife - East Mojave Desert
www.waterforwildlifeemd.com
We are old time conservationists. We do real, on the ground projects to benefit wildlife. We build and repair wildlife drinkers. We clean out springs and tinajas.
David G. Sims

------ Original message------
Date: Wed, May 30, 2018 2:28 PM
To: 'David Sims';
Cc: alan.pettersen@att.net;
Subject:RE: Water for Wildlife Facebook Page?!

Dear David,

We received your e-mail message regarding the use of “Water for Wildlife®” by the Society for the Protection and Care of Wildlife. We appreciate your mission and personal efforts to enhance wildlife habitat by the improvement of water resources.

We first began our use of “Water for Wildlife®” in January of 1976, and have a Federal trademark for the use of “Water for Wildlife®.” As you know, our foundation is obligated to monitor and enforce its rights in the mark. The addition of words or initials before or after “Water for Wildlife” does not sufficiently distinguish your use from ours to avoid confusion in the market.

Since both charitable organizations want to distinguish their brands to avoid such confusion, we ask that your foundation cease use of “Water for Wildlife®” and select another different name or mark.

Vickie Hutchinson-Renkert
Executive Director
Water for Wildlife®
(307) 332-6862 Office
(225) 330-9834 Cell

WFWF ® small, no background “If the animals were gone, man would die of a great lonliness of sprit” -Chief Seattle

Reply Reply All Forward

[ June 13, 2018, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters