The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » A Little Snake Bite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Little Snake Bite
CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I've been in the shadows here for a long time. I figured I would finally step out into the sun. Here's a new call I just finished. I had to take a break from filling call orders. It is Montana Prairie Rattlesnake skin cast in homebrew acrylic with a black acrylic insert.

Brian.

-

-

-

[ July 07, 2007, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: CypressSlough ]

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Cypress Slough Custom Calls
Texarkana, AR
cypresssloughcalls@valornet.com

Posts: 8 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 14 posted July 07, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
That may well be the nicest looking and most unique call I've seen in quite some time!

How long have you been making calls? You obviously got talent, give us some background on yourself

Welcome aboard Brian.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 04:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
DAMN!!!......That's nice!!!!!

Oh, and Welcome Aboard!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonnie, I've been making calls for almost 14 years. I'm a Texarkana, AR firefighter. I make duck, goose, deer, predator (open and closed reed)and turkey calls.I hunt and fish every chance I get, which isn't nearly as much as I'd like. I'm married and have 2 young girls. I'm a habitual forum lurker. [Big Grin] [Wink] I'll post a few of my other calls for ya.

Brian.

-

-

-

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, AR

Rob
Knows what it's all about
Member # 75

Icon 14 posted July 07, 2007 06:22 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! those are some really nice calls.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 06:36 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely pay any attention to calls, if you go to PM there are a hundred supposed call makers. And I'm more prone to worry about what a call sounds like than what it looks like. But I have to say, those are possibly the nicest looking and best crafted calls I have ever seen. I still would be more inclined to worry about how they sound, but on looks alone they are head and shoulders above most.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 07:19 PM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
3 Toes, I agree with ya 100%. There alot of so-called callmakers out there. I was always worried about sound quality of calls. That is one of the main reason I started making calls. I worked on my sound quality way before I started working on the cosmetics. A few things need to be said though. Just because a callmaker works on the cosmetics of a call doesn't mean the sound quality suffers. Although sadly, this is the case with alot of calls. On the same note, a call doesn't have to be ugly to sound good either. It doesn't take any longer to make a call look good and sound good, then it does to make it sound good and look ugly. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but this has become a problem for alot of good callmakers. With all the makers out there, very few have a really good sound to them. People start thinking just because a call looks good the sound isn't.

Brian.

[ July 07, 2007, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: CypressSlough ]

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, AR

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New Huntmastersbbs.com, CypressSlough. Glad to have you on board.

Took long enough to smoke you out, you have been registered almost a year?

Nice looking stuff, btw.

Good hunting. LB

[ July 07, 2007, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 10:30 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
He does some damn fine work. I don't have one of Brian's calls, but from what I've seen I'd put him up there with the best.

And I agree with everything he said in this thread.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 06:26 AM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

Brad it's good to see a familiar face around here. I appreciate the backing on the comments. It should have been said a long time ago and on every board.

Brian.

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, AR

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 06:57 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a stroll over to the PM custom call section and was blown away at the number of guys making and selling calls! Like has already been mentioned, I seriously wonder if it is all about looks with most of them and not so much about the sound they make. It looks like it would be a challenge to keep your name at the top of the page so a potential buyer would notice your calls.

I also wonder if its getting difficult to sell calls on that forum now? Because most of the guys responding to the posted pic's of a call were other call makers giving them pats on the back. Is the market a little flooded right now?

I'm sure not taking a shot at Brad H. or Brian here. I know Brad has been around this game for awhile and makes nice calls. From the looks and sounds of it Brian does fine work and isn't new to the game either.

Brian, how much are you asking for the snake skin call? Or is it even for sale?

CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 07:55 AM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, this call isn't for sale, but I will be making more that will be. This is the first casting I've ever done. So it's sitting in my display case. [Wink] For the others that will follow, they will run about $100. I'm also looking for more skins, rattlers, copperheads, coral snakes, milk snakes, etc. Pretty much any skin that has a nice pattern and color. The skins can only be salt or borax dried. Any other tanning method reacts with resin and turns black. If anybody comes across some good skins, let me know. I could work ya a deal.

You are also hit the nail on the head with all of the callmakers posting calls and getting patted on the back from their buddies. I'm set up to sell calls on PM, but I rarely do. I usually just post pics of calls I've made for other people. There are also alot of wood turners and call assemblers out there, very few actual callmakers. Yes it's extremely hard to keep calls at the top of the page to sell. It seems that most calls sold there are bought by the same few guys every time. It makes it really hard to sell a call for what it is actually worth. This same call tuned for ducks would bring 2-4 times the amount as a predator call.

Brian.

[ July 08, 2007, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: CypressSlough ]

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, AR

Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Once the monsoons hit here in AZ, I'll be out collecting some diamondback and blacktailed rattlesnake skins. When I get a couple, I'll contact you. I'm pretty fond of that snakeskin one that you have.
Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 08:43 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I will agree they are some nice looking calls for sure.
But will the 100.00 custom call call more coyotes than my 16.00 yote buster or 20.00 wiley one? I don't believe so. I just prefer a working mans call like the Cronk, Wiley one, E.L.K. calls and a few others. What i look for in a good call is tone board design, durability, easey to use, and how many sounds it can produce. Most custom calls don't cut it.. A few guys are willing to pay those high prices for a call and i say good for them, but i would rather spend the money on something else...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
TA, it's like anything "custom." Will the extra bucks spent on equipment equal more dead critters? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Will those gaudy knives you posted pics of the other day help pull the hide off a coyote any easier, or roll the guts out of a buck any quicker than an off-the-shelf Buck for $25? Probably not. The guy running the knife, or call, is more likely to determine if the task gets done properly.

Many of these so called custom calls are just like what was said previously, made by wood turners and assembled. Nothing special over what is available at WalMart. Some though, offer good sound coupled with darn nice looks.

The buyer has to make up his or her own mind if it is worth it. And in reality, for about the price of a tank of gas, you could have a darn nice sounding and looking call from call maker whose work you like.

bowjunkie
Member # 887

Icon 10 posted July 08, 2007 11:35 AM      Profile for bowjunkie           Edit/Delete Post 
well said Lonny ...Brian does make a good sounding call and besides calls are kinda like women they all function but its a whole lot funner ta wrap yer lips around a pretty one
Posts: 35 | From: the high mountians | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 12:15 PM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Lonny.

TA, those are questions you have to answer for yourself. You are right most custom calls won't cut it, but don't lump every custom into that category until you have first hand knowledge of them. There are just as many working man's calls out there that won't cut it either. The call attributes you look for are the first things that go into my calls. Cosmetics are the last thing I worry about. But at the same time, it doesn't take any longer to make a call look good as it does to make it ugly. You can bet you r life, I'm gonna make my calls look just as good as they sound. I see no reason to compromise on either. I'm sorry you wouldn't pay that kinda money for a custom call, but to each their own.

Thanks, Ed.
TA, Ed would know. He actually has used my calls.

Brian.

[ July 08, 2007, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: CypressSlough ]

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, AR

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 01:56 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, interesting thread...

Krusty  -

[ July 08, 2007, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are just as many working man's calls out there that won't cut it either.
Tell me about it, I have a shelf full of them. A new guy comes along and thinks he needs a custom call to bring in more coyotes and so he puts his money down for something that looks pretty and is suppose to sound great , but actually it sounds no better than a .10 call. And some call makers are like used car sales-men tell you anything to make a buck..LOL
I don't have a grievance with you just most call makers, there are a few that do make a great call and are always looking to improve them and i tip my hat to them...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
CypressSlough
PAKMAN
Member # 928

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for CypressSlough   Email CypressSlough         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem TA.

Believe me I've been there. I was a duck call collector before I started making them. At $150 and up to $500 for a custom, it sucks to pay the money for a call that doesn't beat a $10 Walmart special.

Brian.

--------------------
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, AR

FOsteology
PAKMAN
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 09:09 PM      Profile for FOsteology           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a very interesting discussion. Not to stir the turds, but I'm very interested to hear who the top five call makers are in everyone's opinion.

Brian,

Living in South Central Texas, I kill a few rattlebugs every year. Shoot me your mailing info and within the next couple weeks I'll see if I can get a few skins for you.

Posts: 5 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 10:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New Huntmastersbbs.com, FOsteology. Glad to have you on board. Hmmm, another lurker shakes out of the bushes.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2007 09:17 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
News flash!! Suddenly Tebbe has been thinking of making a snake skin call also!!!

Sad!!

Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 12:02 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice lookin call Brian.
Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters