The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » This cop out always bothers me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This cop out always bothers me
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2024 06:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of chatter about Safeties! People that are brought up on legitimate guns, they are scared to death to have a manual safety. They wimp out and whine; "what if I forget?"

This argument is always in conjunction with Model 1911's which are carried COCKED AND LOCKED.

So the big babies are indoctrinated in believing that the trigger lock is the safest method. Some people say, well the trigger safety is all well and good, but what's wrong with a slide safety in addition? Full disclosure, that's my attitude, a grip safety, as on my Springfield XD9 or a slide mounted safety?

But the Glock babies are quite vocal; NO NO NO, I don't want any other safety on my gun...."because I might forget!" edit: and they are Dictatorial, ALL GUNS, no manual safety!

Personally, I see absolutely no good reason for not having a safety besides the integral trigger safety. They are always adamant, just keep your finger off the trigger! And yet, the Glock accidental discharges are when they somehow manage to get their finger inside the trigger guard while drawing their weapon. As I understand it, this is the number one cause of accidental discharges; the super safe Glock!

But I get a little peeved when these Fascists demand NO MANUAL SAFETIES, PERIOD! "I MIGHT FORGET!"

The 1911 system, cocked and locked is simple and automatic, except to brain dead Glock shooters!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: forgot to mention. Victor calls me a dinosaur for not being sold on plastic striker fired guns. This from the guy that competes with wheel guns!

[ February 17, 2024, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2024 08:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Timothy Stansbury died in a New York housing project stairwell in 2004 because he startled a police officer. The officer’s surprise at encountering Stansbury caused the officer’s hand to clench and his weapon to fire. The death was ruled accidental by a grand jury, though the officer was later stripped of his gun for the remainder of his career.

Akai Gurley died in another New York housing project stairwell last fall. A rookie officer with his finger on the trigger of his pistol tensed as he pushed open a stuck door; the added pressure on the trigger caused his weapon to fire a shot down the stairwell. The round ricocheted off the wall to strike Gurley. Though the shot wasn’t intentional and the officer didn’t even know Gurley was there, the death has been ruled a criminal homicide, and the officer’s trial is pending.

In both of these incidents, the police officers were using the same weapon, a Glock: a polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol with a short trigger pull and no external safeties.

quote:
A former U.S. Marine and federal agent has filed a $10 million lawsuit against Sig Sauer Inc. alleging that his holstered Sig P320 -- a pistol that the Army's new sidearm is based on -- accidentally discharged, firing a 9mm bullet into his right leg.

Vic is right keeping finger off the trigger for safety if you carry a Glock.

On another note, I wonder how many people tend to tense up when in bad situation?
Berretta has two safeties in trigger before it goes off plus the hammer safety and frame safety. I like that idea.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2024 09:00 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
All the arguments are subjective, you can pick and choose your belief with whatever stat you want to pull up.
In many years of competition, Ive witnessed two incidents of negligent discharge resulting in injury, both with a 1911 platform.
One female, upon almost completing her draw, had apparently flicked off the safety, and stuck her booger picker in the trigger guard before coming up on target array. She put a 6 inch long crease down the front top of her thigh, the bullet never going subcutaneous, but left a shallow half bullet diameter furrow down her leg.
The other, a guy basically performed the reverse, had his finger on the go button upon reholstering, and was using a just behind the hip holster, this little mishap left a similar yet shorter furrow down about 3 inches of his right ass cheek.
I can remember the local club officers being scared shitless the guy would utilize legal recourse. My friend and I were doing the ROing that morning. My friend called the guy over to the parking area and told him to drop his trousers so he could address the wound. He had a clean rag, but had soaked it in rubbing alcohol, he started scrubbing like hell, all the while telling the whining fucker how he fucked up and looked foolish and might be smart to watch his habits.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 04:05 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main problem is people don't put the time in to train with the firearm they intend to carry. Training builds muscle memory which, in a high stress situation, is the key factor in how one performs.

I know lots of people who carry but haven't fired a round in months or years. When the shit hits the fan, who knows what will happen when they try to draw that weapon.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 04:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree Semp. Thats why I like a little more safety as I don't shoot pistols enough.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really the question. Train until you are sick of it, but all it takes is a little distraction and now you can go around bad mouthing 1911's. Based on personal experience and who can dispute personal witness?

Talk about a true believer, one who just bought his first Glock maybe 2 years ago?

Everybody knows the preponderance of accidental discharges are Glock's. Documented to a fair thee well. Glock 19, second place, Glock 17, third place Glock 20 and the list goes on....

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 09:43 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe any particular platform/action is inherently more or less unsafe than the other. Individual people using firearms are the problem, some are able to understand the correct and safe handling, some are not.
Actually Leonard, I had my first Glock, a model G22 (.40) maybe 20 years ago and have had one in the mix off and on since then. Over the last 4 or 5 years have I finally accepted their superiority over a single action automatic, from a shear practical, reliability and function perspective.
I still love the 1911, great pistol, great cartridge (.45), love my SA TRP, but it's heavy, bulky and just to nice looking to pack it when I go where I carry.
I will stand by my belief that if you had a table top, littered with various pistols du jour, you name the flavor, that if I absolutely knew I was heading for a shit show, and needed to pick one that I absolutely knew would go bang with any ammunition that was available, and do reliably, I'd grab a Glock.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 02:22 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
In military we didn't have a choice if shit hit the fan, you held your ground.
Concealed to carry training says grab who you can and get the hell away from the threat as quick as you can. A shoot out is 50/50 on who lives and who dies. You have a Glock and turns out crazy Johny has a full auto AR or something similar and more ammo than you brought along for a day trip.

Hell at times I crawl into a steel pipe or snow tunnel after a coyote, and I wonder as I'm going in do, I have enough gun or ammo if the fauker decides to charge? I've had a few close calls and glad I always had a dog close by. Not worried about getting killed by a coyote but they sure can fuck you up when up close and in your face. [Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2024 02:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Vic, fair enough. You kept that little secret about the Glock 20 years ago, just so you could call me out! lol

Boy, right now, if I had the money to waste. I might be tempted to get me a Wilson or Alchemy 1911 platform in 9mm. That really is the cat's meow!

My knock on Glock is kinda like the way some feel about Ford/Chevy. There are too many dummies out there that know nothing about guns and yet they all carry a Glock. As I mentioned a few days ago, if certain guns were available in The People's Republik, I am not sure if I would get a Springfield HellCat Pro or A ShadowSystems, either in 9mm. Decisions, decisions!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters