The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Greatest sniper in Veitnam war

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greatest sniper in Veitnam war
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 03:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Legendary Marine Scout Sniper Chuck Mawhinney dies at age 75. Mawhinney had 103 confirmed kills in Nam. and another 100 or so unconfirmed. Hatchcock (white feather) only had 97 confirmed kills. Now the books have to be rewritten.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2024 11:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that the term "confirmed kills" is kinda problematic. More like pulling those numbers out of your ass, or is it "their" ass?

Anyway, should be taken with a grain of salt....ya know?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2024 01:52 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
yep much like the big fish stories

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2024 09:43 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of how one wants to poo-poo "confirmed kills", Hathcock and Mawhinney were feared greatly by the enemy in Vietnam. They were bad mo'fo's.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2024 02:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not what I'm saying and yes they were forces to be reckoned with.

All I'm saying is the "confirmed" part, do they ask the VC for a signed affidavit itemized? And, take a spotter, which some of these guys, in deep cover for days, you can't even really tell if that enemy suffered a lethal shot or even if he's ducking because he heard a snap as the round passed by?

I'm saying, "confirmed" is a difficult word and I think taking the man's word is probably the common practice. Other than that, there is actually an incentive to fudge the numbers. As we do in the CSVCA, turning in tails or genitalia is actual confirmation, and having a buddy agree with your claim is another.

I'm just saying, a sniper reports his kills with a playing card, but when you knock someone over at a mile away, all you can do is say: "well, I saw him fall." or do you have to have a partner watch him go down?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2024 02:52 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Now days they use bigger guns, if the rocks behind the guy shot at are turned red from blood and what not then its a confirmed kill. [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2024 12:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, what if I have a red dye capsule in a Nosler type partition bullet and shoot rocks all day. I'm just being contrary, BTW.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters