The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Here's looking out for Man's best friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's looking out for Man's best friend
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 11:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
what?

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/15/video-man-rescuing-chihuahua-coyote/

[ January 15, 2024, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 11:29 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome !!! ............ Somebody buy that man a root beer, on me.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2024 04:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It looked like a pup, to me? Notice how he picked it up by the tail? I thought that was strange, I almost always pick up a coyote by the back leg and I suppose almost everybody else does too.

I can tell you this. Do not pick up a Bobcat by the tail, as I did one time. The tail will break. But the reason was because he was in the middle of a Palo Verde, thorns every where and that was the easiest part to reach, or so I thought? Popped right off. I had to push branches out of the way with my leg to get in enough to grab a back leg. I don't remember why the legs weren't stretched out behind him but they were not handy to grab.

But, if you think about it, the ease with which that cat jumped into the middle of that tree, more or less fearlessly was remarkable. This was one that didn't have a central trunk, it had a cluster of rather stout limbs or branches with a relatively open space right in the middle. First time I ever saw a cat do something like that. But, thinking about it, it's not a bad defensive measure. You know, normally, when being pestered by a coyote or a pair, I've seen them scoot up a Sahuaro, paying no attention whatsoever to all those spines. I saw a photo that a couple guys took of a bobcat on top of a Hex shaped STOP SIGN on a 4X4 post. This was out in the high desert at a rural intersection. They didn't chase it up there, they were dirt bikers that just happened by, so he had some other reason for climbing up there. Not excited, just taking it all in.

I can tell you this, bobcat do not rattle very easy. I one time walked up a nice cat in the snow, he was on a ledge and wounded bad enough that he didn't feel like going anywhere. He calmly looked at me as I got up to him, lots of snow and I had a rifle because I expected him to run away and the scoped rifle seemed a better choice than a handgun. Anyway, I just pointed my 6mm at him and pulled the trigger....and missed him! He didn't move, didn't blink. Turned out he was paralyzed, hit in the lower spine. Anyway, next shot, I pointed at the body rather than the head. And I didn't miss this time.

I remember (now that I think about it) that this happened on a State hunt and we didn't win, but that turned out to be the largest Bobcat on the hunt and so I won a very nice trophy. The damned thing is about 4 foot tall! I still have it upstairs in my trophy room, but it's in the closet.

Just strolling down Memory Lane,
for the Peanut Gallery!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters