The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Thank You ko ko!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank You ko ko!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 11, 2024 10:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent me a little gift. I appreciate it very much and I will read it cover to cover!

No, it's not something I can smoke, I most definitely do not do illegal drugs!

I'm already too wired on Rx drugs. I take morphine twice a day and a Norco at bedtime.

Which is the reason why I don't drink. I don't drink anyway, doesn't interest me, but even if I were to have a Pacifico with a Mexican dinner, at a restaurant, I'm kinda pushing it but it's a long time since my morning dose so sorta OK. And before my nighttime dose. Occasionally, one drink. And, I can tell the Peanut Gallery that I have not drank any alcohol it probably 4 months.

What the hell got me sidetracked on this, I have no idea?

So, thank you, ko ko. That was very thoughtful!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 07:41 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are wondering, I scored on a couple of 1953 Sports Afield magazines and sent one to El Bee.
The articles in these old magazines are well written and a lot of the advice is as good today as it was 70 years ago. The ads are interesting also and some of the companies are still around.
Today's magazines are little more than read & toss infomercials with a few exceptions such as Fur-Fish-Game.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, ko ko. Just thumbing through the pages yesterday, there were maybe twice as many articles than you might see in a current publication. And, this was published in 1953. Some of the prices are shocking! I mean, everybody knows inflation, and I can tell you that the first job I ever had after being discharged, (separated) from the Army was Pacific Telephone, a very large company and part of the Bell System. I was an installer making $1.71 per hour and I had a wife and family. If not for the long hours in the summer time, (we could work until dark) we might have survived on beans. Those were the days, my friend....we thought they'd never end;

Anyway, this copy of Outdoor Life, (not sure but did Jack OConner write for that magazine?) had the price on the front, 25 cents, and I noticed it cost Richard $4 to mail it. Chew on that for a minute.

Thanks ko ko, I will read it carefully, (it's a bit fragile) cover to cover and learn a lot!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 10:22 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko I also got a few of those real old mag.s keep them in plastic liner. also a box full of old fur fish and game. I also use to look at old mag.s in school library and would cut out any articles on predator calling or hunting and put them in 3 ring binder.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 12:45 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cool things about these old magazines are the articles written by authors that I grew up reading.
Jack O'Conner
Ted Trueblood
H.G. Tapply (Remember Tap's Tips ?)
Major Dave Harbour
Jason Lucas
Jimmy Robinson
and the great Ed Zern.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 02:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Koko! I wasn't around in the 30's.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 03:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither was I. First came to this planet in '53. Been here ever since.
Those guys were still writing in the '60s & into the '70s
I still have books by Jason Lucas and Ed Zern.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 03:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
........... and Russel Annabel.
There's a blast from the past.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 04:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
any of the names list do articles on predator calling or hunting?

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2024 05:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much. Some of the earliest info on calling that I know of was in the mid to late '60s when Russel Tinsley teamed up with the Burnham Brothers. I remember an article or two by Tinsley in old archery magazines. One of them, they were catching called raccoons with big landing nets.
Russel Tinsley's book 'The Critters Come When Called' shows a 1967 copyright.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 06:09 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
i know of him, believe I got the book. They also shot them with a bow.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 06:26 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick Jamison was pretty good writer on coyotes and guns used for them.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 07:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, his book is pretty good, also.

The one that I still think is the standard that all other calling books are judged by is Varmint Hunter's Digest by Jim Dougherty. That guy was awesome.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 10:05 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Norman Johnson was another good one. His specialty was spot and stalk Redfox and coyotes, and over the years became a friend of mine. He actually went out and hunted every day he could and what his stories based off of. He didn't write stories based off of someone else's experience or some crap he read in someone else's article.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 10:09 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy Roede wrote few articles for the Varmit hunter mag. that were awesome and it's a shame he didn't stick around longer.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 12:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
John Wooters wrote on predator hunting, way back when, Texas perspective.

What is meant about Randy Roede sticking around?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 04:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
He passed away before his time; sure he would have written more articles otherwise.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2024 05:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was afraid that was what you meant. He wasn't very old, I don't think, maybe early 60's?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2024 01:47 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
They had the 7th Annual Randy Roede Memorial Contest last month.

Randy Roede memorial contest

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 09:26 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I know most of the names listed in contests hunts from past to present. Many of the teams hunt up on the Res. where the numbers are pretty good for calling contests. The thing now days in S.D. if a coyote hunter dies a contest is started under his name and can be a contest every weekend. Too many if you ask me. The Res, isn't like it used to be with very few coyote hunters, as now it's full of them. and they also have their share of contests there as well. It's much harder now for a non-member to get land to call on as the ranchers want to give the locals a chance at the money. and seems to be working as most of the winners from the Roede contest come from the Res.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 12:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link, Semp. Interesting.

You can count on contests of any type to start fucking things up. WE never bothered with that total weight thing/ I do not get it? A fucking coyote is a fucking coyote! Yes, I can see some recognition for a big animal but weighing the whole kill seems stupid, if you ask me? Actually, a 35 pound coyote is really big, out west here. I can count on one hand how many I've seen in 50 years, maybe 38 is the biggest I ever remember? The bobcat I killed on that state hunt went 31 pounds, if I remember correctly? But northern Nevada Lynxcats were all big, mature animals around 30 pounds. Usually, Arizona cats were closer to 22-23 pounds and not nearly as lanky and gray as a Lynxcat, and we got a lot more money than desert cats.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 01:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
far as I know total weight was for a tie breaker. Big dog and little dog was part of contest where you bet on yourself or another team to get one or other and collect money from that as well. just gives everyone to have a chance at little cash or prizes.

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2024 01:48 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
/ Never was a big fan of the contests but they do bring the bros together for a good time. Money and guns as prizes usually fucked things up. I had a good friend from Susanville that I hunted with and he wanted to do the contest thing. I said ok and we did the WORLD CONTEST. Our very first contest hunt. We did ok and finished in the top end of things with a total of 8, can't remember really but I think we ended up like 15th in a total of 100 teams. And we really only hunted one day of it, you know ,location,location, location. After that we did a few more with guns and money for prizes and I and he immediately saw how much cheating paid off. When two pretty fair coyote hunters would call in up to 10 coyote in a weekend what we thought was good and lose out to guys we never knew or met before would show up with 20 plus coyotes with glazed over eyes we gave up and just did what we always did and went back to our usual call for fun unless one of the ranchers had a problem dog and we pursued that till we got it. The wife always said to us that we weren't crooked enough to play for the prizes of guns as she could tell the cheaters from the honest callers as the totals always gave then away. I do know that on any given weekend a couple callers could have a banner weekend but not what she had observed over a lot of years with my friend and I and always told us we were cheated out of a finishing place in the contest.
When I was living and hunting in Nevada there was a contest almost weekly and the coyotes knew what FoxPros sounded like and usually only the first year dogs would fall for it. And that was 20 plus years ago. Don't care for contests but they do have a good following and people like to brag about what they won and I understand that and don't belittle contest hunters but I know and have met many guys and girls that really could call those coyotes in and they were always the ones you never hear about. And that's all I have to say on that subject.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters