The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Toads !!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toads !!!
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2023 10:42 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I got toads, and they're not the wimpy little ones like from back east. These things are the size of grown bull frogs. I have a goldfish pond on my patio and these things are getting into it.
Normally, they come out of hibernation during the Monsoon Season and breed in the rain puddles but since our Monsoon Season has so far been a non-event, they're taking what-ever they can get.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2023 02:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very rare, I think?

I've never seen them except right after a rain and by the next day they are back in the dry wash under the sand. Also see them riding piggy-back.

But yes they are big at least 6 inches not counting stretched legs. Whatever, it's amazing! I have only seen them south of I-8 and west of Sasabee, to Yuma.

Good Hunting. El Bee

edit: I remember one night, there were so many on the highway that it was slick like icy conditions, so many run over that the road was slick as snot

edit: as far as I know, it a rare phenomena?

[ August 07, 2023, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2023 05:11 PM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Those toads are toxic to dogs, a few years back our Jack Russel Terrier got into one and it made her sick. I flushed her mouth out real good with a hose almost immediately so caught it before it got real bad. Apparently they can be lethal according to research I did. I hope the monsoons arrive soon, already had a few fires in the area.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2023 05:15 PM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,

Are the rabbit population starting to rebound up your way? Starting to see cottontail and Jack Rabbits more frequently in the area.

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2023 05:59 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't really been out in the brush much lately. Wife has had some health issues making me head nurse, cook & housekeeper.
I do seem to see more cottontails around the property lately.
And quail; quail numbers seem to be up.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2023 04:32 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo sorry about your wife.

We've been getting passing rain storms.Had a great rain and lightning show last night. Love it.

Garden and lawn is loving it.

Canning green beans and dill pickles today. After this it's just salsa making. It'll be waiting on tomatoes to ripen so will be able to get out more.

Neighbor passed away in March. So the kids are cleaning moving some old equipment and mowing weeds. I now have all their bunnies. It has been a running battle with them keeping them out of the garden. So far they are liking the Armenian cucumbers vines and once in a while will nibble on a cucs that gets too close to the edge.
Going to be rabbit dinners once we get cold. Also fighting robins in my choke cherries. I finally got them scared off and picking the ripe ones as they come on. Chasing deer out too. They've been eating the tops off of my berry bushes. What a summer.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2023 07:01 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We've got the wife on the road to recovery, or as I tell her, semi fully restored.
Had a neuroma on her neck; surgery to remove.
Arthritis in her ankle, bone on bone; surgery to fuse.
And lastly (I hope) Diversaticulo3sus (sp?) in her colon. More surgery.

We also got some rain, thunder & lightening last night. Love sitting on the patio with a Fireball Martini watching the light show. The humidity that follows though, not so much.

If I'm not mistaken these nocturnal toads are the ones the hippies lick to get high ???

--------------------

tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2023 08:30 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the first guy to lick toads head was high on at the time.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2023 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to a disco type of night club at a Club Med down in manzanilla, years ago. Walking into the place, I noticed this brightly painted ceramic toad door stop. When we walked out a couple hours later, I noticed that the toad was where I might trip over it and attempted to slide it back to the corner when it lunged and started biting my ankle! No, I just made it up, BUT the thing did extend its legs and exhibit signs of, like coming to life, as it were. It sure as hell was alive! Locals said it came around at night to catch moths buzzing around the, what the hell do you call those flashing light thingamabobs? Anyway, this thing was big enough to be mistaken for a cookie jar!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

Edit: Strobe?

[ August 08, 2023, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2023 08:13 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tedo;
Have you been hearing the 'peepers' that usually give a chorus in the evenings after a rain ????
Nothing up this way so far.

I wanted to ask this yesterday but I got an image of Leonard at a Disco in a John Travolta suit busting moves on the dance floor and I think that it may have damaged some of my brain cells.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2023 09:40 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeed that is an image that gives my remaining brain cell the Montezuma's revenge, and toss my beloved disco ball down range for some target practice.
I've ran into those Mormon Crickets crossing the hiway by the kajillions and it was like speeding around on black ice. Kinda scary on some of the mtn. passes where I used to live.
The Mormons erected a statue of a seagull because those birds swooped in and had a feast on them crickets when the Mormons first settled in the Salt Lake area ans saved their crops. A very big deal back in pioneer days.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2023 10:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We all have heard the tale. But, a Mormon Cricket? They look like a giant ant with yellow and brown stripes, or something like that?

I HAVE seen thousands upon thousands of grasshoppers down south and not too surprisingly, the coyote hunting was lousy and all the coyote scat was 100% grasshoppers, similar to when they are eating Mesquite beans. Just soapy slimy suds and "chunks" of beans, (not the beans, the casing) hardly digested, at all.

Then there are those so called Mexican Generals. Five inch black and green giant grasshoppers. I had one fly at me and hit me square between the eyes one time. I instinctively swatted at it and there went my glasses! I looked all over for them, imagine black wire and where I finally found them, not on the ground but hanging about chest height from a creosote bush! I was about to give up, too. But, just imagine getting smacked between the eyes by a half pound grasshopper? Okay, not actually a half pound, but it was plenty big, like getting smacked by a Weiner; no shit!

Hood hunting. El Bee

PS I don't appreciate the wisecracks about my Disco Days!

PPS that's a joke! I've never been in a real Disco Hall in my life, let's just say that was a bad choice of words, it was A FUCKING NIGHTCLUB! OK?

[ August 09, 2023, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2023 12:39 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it didn't have one of those rainbow flags out front LOL.
Now that is sick ol Walter boy.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2023 07:29 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What's that ???? Wait until your annoying neighbor goes to work and sneak over and plant a Rainbow Flag in the middle of his lawn ??? That's just mean.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2023 11:19 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I do have one neighbor that is a die hard Demonrat and we don't say much after I told him he was nothing but a fucking communist along with that whole batch of stupid dims in office. He doesn't say much to any of the neighbors here as none of them care to deal with someone that suffers Trump Derangement syndrome. The flag just might be a fun one to pull off. Just got to wear a disguise to find and buy a rainbow flag...Not very common here in the hills of Tennessee.

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2023 09:34 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
NVWalt, I was gonna say, when I was in your area all I saw was Trump signs, well bigfoot stuff too. Didn't believe liberals were allowed in that area.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2023 09:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm? Too much effort!

The guy across the street is crusty enough, just about anything will set him off. That was then, now he's in bad shape, uses one of those walkers that he pushes in front with every step. He's about 5 years younger than me, my brother is 6 years younger, also a Viet Nam vet.

But, so he's a Viet Nam Vet, which normally would get respect, but he was, whatever his MOS, he was a a cook, in a basecamp, Da Nang, or whatever? If he had a rifle, he probably kept it in his footlocker, while he ran his potato peeler, and made trays of pineapple pie and other yummy deserts.

Anyway, all my respect vanished one day out in the street when he erupted on Trump. Carbon copy Liberal talking points! And I have known him for many years, never suspected. Shocker! They live amongst us.

I don't even look his way, these days, as he walkers to the car, the passenger side. I drove with him a couple years ago, never again, I was happy to arrive safely, barely. In the parking structure, he crashed into the gate and broke it! I said; why'd you do that? He threw his hands in the air and said: I FUCKED UP!

This is where you start to tread softly, knowing that you are dealing with a nutjob.

I suppose I'll have to attend his funeral one of these days, due to being a neighbor for 48 years, presently. Not looking forward to that.

Sorry for the rant
Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I actually know when Paul, the above described nutjob lost his dream. They bought some acreage in northern California called CALIFORNIA PINES. They would go up there regularly, improving and developing the property. One day, he found out that some crook had come in there and harvested every fucking tree on the property and there were many along with all of his neighbors property. They never caught the asshole and he, (Paul) never even went back, it just broke his heart. Then his father died, who had been helping him fix up and improve the property, his Shangri-La.

[ August 11, 2023, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2023 10:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, getting old sucks at times. Right now I have a torn / detached retina in my right eye. Upcoming deer season is in serious question. Dr. said it was either using a jackhammer, riding a Mt. Bike too fast on an uneven road or old age.
I'm blaming it on a visual of Leonard break dancing in that John Travolta suit. [Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2023 05:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I SWEAR, I've never Disco'ed in my life! Never owned a John Travolta Disco suit, either!

You know who was in to Ballroom Dancing?
Rich Higgins, believe it or not!

I'm not a dancer. Any type. Don't dance, include me out!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 13, 2023, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters