The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Earthquakes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Earthquakes
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2023 04:23 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey LB, I watch a earthquake map and it always shows a lot of quakes around your area.
Do you feel them or it is old news for you?

We get them here not regular and once in a while can feel them especially of a night or sitting and resting.

Just curious.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2023 07:03 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an earthquake and say, a dog with feet the size of 1 lb coffee can lids romping around the house.
In fact, some of those dots on the quake map may in fact just be Tillie chasing lizards.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ok ..... That was mean. Give the dog a bone. No, throw it for her.
Oh look ............ A one point nine in Uptown.

BwaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaa !!!!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2023 09:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are numerous fault zones all around Southern California. 30 some years ago, there was an earthquake centered in Upland about 4 miles deep. It launched me out of my chair like a cattle prod!

The interesting thing is that we had very little damage here, maybe a picture falling off the wall or a knick nack tipping over, but it cause about ten million dollars damage 10 miles away, in Pomona, and San Dimas. The reason is, while Upland is rocky, down in the flats, that ground shakes like a bowl of jello, relatively speaking. As I might have mentioned before, in this area, if you want to plant a tree, you will need a friggin' pick axe! Our soil, if you can call it that, is so rocky, you really can't plow or till it. This is why, a hundred years ago, they planted lemon groves instead and as the land became more valuable, they uprooted some of them and built single family homes instead. But, everybody had a lemon tree or two or more. The guy behind me pulled up 8 to dig his pool and I used to have 4 but they are all gone now. Anyway, I guess it was smart to use the land in some ways if you couldn't grow crops. And that's the thing, various areas around here were dedicated to oranges or walnut trees or cherries. Not no more, it's wall to wall suburbia, you do not know where one city ends and another begins unless you happen to see a sign welcoming you to Ontario or Pomona or Claremont or West Covina or El Monte or Rosemead or Alhambra or even Los Angeles. [Big Grin]

Good hunting. El Bee [Big Grin]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters