The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 4 ko ko

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4 ko ko
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 14, 2023 07:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Mother's Day!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2023 09:16 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
happy mothers day koko

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2023 09:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, thanx. Lemme buy all of you clowns a nice warm Bud Lite.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2023 02:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually spelled BUD LIGHT, if I'm not mistaken?

But, ko ko is as cool as it gets. Fer sure!

I've been working in the yard all friggin' day! Pooped!

Good hunting. El bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2023 02:34 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey you two I got big question for you. A hummingbird finally showed up at my feeder, its all black with yellow or orange stripe on wings what kind is it?
Oh by the way we are going through our ten year flood, I have 3 feet of water around my house on 3 sides and boat is floating in back yard. LOL
[Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2023 03:44 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
A rufus sided maybe. Go get you a bird book and you will be surprised at what you pick up on. A Golden Guide or National .Geo. guide book. They don't cost a fortune and I am pretty sure you own some binocs or spotting scope. You really will not regret it. You'll be able to identify all the birds you call up and on and on.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2023 03:45 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Butt Lite by Transhouser Bush.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2023 10:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, maybe Rufus or Allen's. Very difficult to tell them apart unless you see front and back.

ON THE OTHER HAND. Since the questioneer is in Minneesota, I kinda doubt that it's anything but a Ruby Throated because that's the only hummer east of the Mississippi.

On the other hand, same reasons...it's entirely possible he saw a male Oriole? they are 4 times bigger, but if you've never seen a hummingbird before and you are a Minnesotan, a strong possibility.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 17, 2023, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2023 10:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, we have Orioles that actually get on the Hummer's feeders and get the sugar water. Beautiful birds with striking yellow & black coloration.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2023 05:50 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo, try cutting oranges or apples, had peg them on the thorns of nearby mesquite tree,that will suck in every Oriole for miles.
We go thru three oranges a day, have three pairs hammering them all day,love seeing them around.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2023 08:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Much Thanx !!!
Will try that tomorrow.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2023 12:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too! I have them nesting in my scrub oak with the hummer feeder ten feet away where I can observe it from inside and they are after the nectar. But oranges I can easily do. My neighbor, behind me has thoughtfully planted 3 Valencia oranges close enough to the fence that I can help myself. He had also planted an Avocado that turned out to be fruitless and all it did was drop small flowers in MY pool, and not his and I was able to "suggest" that he cut the damned thing down, which he did. I try to not let my stuff overhang any neighbor. My cactus is very vigorous and I have to prune it very aggressively, at least once a year as I understand that many people don't love it like I do. Especially the prickly pear is ten foot tall and always wants to go over the wall. It's a challenge to cut it and it not drop into adjacent yard and I have three very large plants in various locations that I need to monitor because they want to overhang, especially on the side of some particularly obnoxious people's property and the damned thing is 30 feet tall! Keeping that one on my side is a challenge. I set up some planks on the wall to stand on so I could saw off some encroaching arms and by the time I went for a ladder to get up there, the assholes had already pushed them off of their wall! If you have friendly, civil neighbors, be grateful! This childless couple have no friends that I can tell, but once, I opened a statement by mistake that was in my mail and they have an account that would choke a horse! I wrote "sorry" on the statement and stuffed it back in the envelope and put it in their mail. I'm sure they must have been steamed, but Hey! mis-delivered and same bank, it was an honest mistake. Maybe I should have just shredded it but I thought it would piss them off to return it? Where was I? Oh yeah, hummers.

I had a hummingbird nest built in a staghorn cactus out front and kept an eye on it but something attacked it, maybe the Mockingbirds? Kind of ripped it apart. The problem with hummers is the females all look the same except for a little black dot on on the tail feathers if they spread them. also a dot behind the eye, but basically iridescent green, front to back and top to bottom. The males are the jewels.

Can you imagine a bird that size migrating up to British Columbia and back to Mexico every year? They are a friggin' Dynamo! I have mentioned before that the Ruby throated flies from the eastern US across the damned Gulf of Mexico nonstop, every year! Little factoids like that tend to boggle the mind!

I kinda wish we had more, but you have to make the effort to plant hummer friendly plants, feeders aren't enough. Arizona and extreme southeastern California desert country are so very lucky to have several species of hummers including the Calliope which is a spectacular little gem with gorget feathers around the head. When the sun reflects, it damned near blinds ya! Maybe I'll never make it to AZ? I should shut up about it. Good luck with that!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2023 04:47 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Hummers now at our feeder. Thought Tim might have just mistook those Skeeters up there for hummers. Thought they were the state bird.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2023 05:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno .......... Tim hunts the nocturnal.
My hunting partner and mentor in all things coyote had hummer feeders getting hit really hard for the number of birds he was seeing. He set up a trail cam and got some pretty impressive photos of Fruit Bats feeding in the dark.
Could be Tim is seeing bats.
Or mayhap Tim is just batty. [Razz] [Razz]
BwaaaHaaaaHaaaa .......... Sorry Tim, I just couldn't resist that one.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2023 10:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fruit Bats in Arizona? I never heard of this? I thought they were quite big, like a crow?

Damn! You guys got everything!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted May 20, 2023 03:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I just looked at the video Victor sent and I have to retract. I think I do know those are the same bats that feed on Sahuaro flowers at night. But I was thinking of those really big fruit bats in southeast Asia or IDK, south America?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2023 03:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I'm west of the Mississippi and we have like 2-3-4 different types of hummingbirds its just I don't know which. The bird I saw don't look much bigger than my thumb and i don't have big hands. Most I have seen are halfway up north by a lake I use to go fish.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2023 04:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes koko we have bats here and I have seen them but during the day in a class room at school flying around and also on the job in Eastern Mn. The one on the job was living under a old bridge and they had to be removed safely and relocated before we could remove the bridge. cute little buggers! Edit to add. we also have a bird here in town can only see it at night when it gets close to streetlights and believe they call it a kite, makes loud high pitched chirp sound.

[ May 20, 2023, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2023 07:59 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Did a little google on the humming bird, it seems we have 20 spec. in north America. The one I seen must be a female as not much color cept orange stripe and not shown in the list of 20 spec. so have to look outside the box and see if its one that normally don't fly this north.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2023 09:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a dead bat once when I lived in Minnesota. It caused quite a sensation around the neighborhood!

What I've been told, about hummers is that most of them are in south America? I guess they are restricted to North and South America, but I wouldn't swear to it?

What I do know is that I only have two species in north Upland, Black Chined and Allen's, and the Allens are recent and more aggressive and are kinda more or less taking over?

As I said before, there are quite a few further south in the Mojave desert or to use the AZ spelling: Mohave. Hard to imagine all that are further south in Sonora, but those of you in southern AZ are quite fortunate.

Also, about the night birds. Nightjars? Wow! to see these birds around a water hole, (called a Tank) at night is fabulous! That's if you can tolerate the mosquitoes? There are several types, maybe 3 or 4? Only fly at night as far as I know and where they roost, I haven't a clue? Good sized birds, bigger than a Mockingbird or a Robin with long narrow wings, very acrobatic. I've only seen them in southern Arizona, but I guess they must be anywhere around the course of the Colorado? Pretty birds, maybe not as pretty as Pinky, but still.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2023 03:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I put an orange, partially peeled out on a shelf next to the hummingbird feeder where the Orioles come to drink. I don't think these Orioles have ever seen an orange before. They haven't touched it yet.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2023 08:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Be patient, as they say, if you build it, they will come. My squirrels have an interesting way of eating oranges right off the tree. They chew a hole in the side and kinda hollow it out. When Tillie sees one left on the top of the wall, she gets pissed off and I think they try to take her feelings into consideration. But, I remove it, as last resort, not really, just if I'm down there already. Can't have discarded orange shells laying around the joint. Right?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2023 05:32 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally gave up on the oranges. The only thing that was hitting them were the ants. Went through several oranges. Birds never touched them.

Best excuse ever to not do yardwork !!!
I have a Dragon's Breath propane torch set up on a cart with tank and garden water sprayer for fire control. Burns weeds with a vengeance !!!
The torch end lays horizontal across the cart handle between uses. Went to get it a few days ago and a humming bird flew out of the end of the torch !!! The thing had built a nest inside of the torch. Took a discrete peek and saw two tiny eggs in the nest. Been keeping my distance but I know that at least one of the eggs has hatched.
The yards a mess but so what ..... this is cool !!!

[Cool]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters