The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I should stop reading Gun Mags!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I should stop reading Gun Mags!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2023 04:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple days ago I was reading a Guns and Ammo about a foreign straight pull rifle that was only $6,000. Has anybody noticed that none of these mags review American stuff anymore? Possibly Mossberg shotguns but for the most part the reviews are even Walther or CZ hand guns and then they review $3,000 Wilson handguns, Ed Brown or Nighthawk or Korth revolvers. What the hell is this?

And, you ain't shit unless you have a suppresser. I'm afraid to show my face at the range without one of those must have gadgets, and they still require safety glasses and ear protection, but why, if that hot shit suppresser is doing the job. I'm such a fossil, I can't understand why a suppresser costs as much as TWO GLOCK 19's?

I have zero use for AR15's, by the way. There is so many writeups about all the newest black assault rifles I really don't have time to read up about how great they are, and anyway, how many different manufacturers do we have in the game? I seriously do not know?

Okay, end of bitch. Fucking guns are getting way too expensive and none are available to me in the People's Republik anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 15, 2023, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2023 05:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find a copy of Foxfire 5 (Good luck) it's a pretty awesome volume. Old old time Appalachian style muzzel loaders that they literally make from scratch. They talk about forge welding a barrel from flat stock. THEN they cut the rifleing. Without the aid of electricity.
The sheer amount of craftsmanship skill is really hard to comprehend. They made everything. Ramrods, patchboxes, locks and powder.
The making of powder (black) is a whole 'nother art form.
Or ...... You can read a gun review mag that just happens to have an ad on the same page for that gun.

For those not familiar with the Foxfire series of books they cover a wide range of the old time mountain skills. Well worth the read.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2023 08:07 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Been a long time since I picked one up but did buy a magazine about two month's ago. As I skipped through it there was an article that got my attention, so I bought it and brought it home. Petersen's Hunting was name of magazine and name of article was "Old dog new tricks." No B.S. in this article and enjoyed reading it. I then skipped through few other articles and they were mostly bullshit, just some writer trying to sell crap to the unknowing, God I hate that. One article on the AR mostly B.S. and then one on the 22 mag. for varmints. I have three 22 mag.s and only good for gophers and coon and good luck on the coon they usually need a follow up shot, dam bullets just don't expand but rather ball up. Another article on cheap thermals, guess someone needs to keep a company in business. And final article where the writer talks about using cover scent. When will they learn? Oh and plastic tip bullets is the cat's ass I guess. I think Ruger came out with a in-line bolt like the Blazer used in Europe but it's in one of their high dollar rifles, I think. With this rifle you just grab bolt handle and pull straight back and then forward again to chamber a fresh round, better chance of keeping eye in the scope if you don't go too big in cartridge.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2023 09:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I’m currently a subscriber to Petersons Hunting. Not worthwhile. All in all, Guns and Ammo is still relevent.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2023 09:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what was revealing about straight pull rifles is that these European countries, none of them allow semi auto rifles....like an AR15. So, they like to drive game and station shooters so they can blast away at a fleeing deer or maybe a boar? You might miss and need a second and third shot, and the shot placement could be less than perfect; to put it mildly.

But, suddenly you can ponder that intimidating black rifle in a new light and realize that we have an uncommon gift worth defending. That's a bit of a reversal to my way of thinking. Maybe we should fight to the death to preserve freedom. In the form of an AR15?

Good hunting. El Be

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2023 09:47 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Just going through my Scheels sporting goods catalog I see there are few guns still made in the USA or parts of them. Kimber still making handguns at 800.00 and up.
Springfield armory making handguns starting at 600.00 and up and also make a few rifles and AR to boot starting at 1k and up.

Beretta import but they make some dam nice pistols and yes I own one with prices starting at 600.00

Smith & Wesson is still around with pistols starting at 399.00 and up.

Scheels is now selling suppressors and all the paperwork is done in store no need to mail any stuff off it's all done there. Price is starting at 750.00 and up to around 1200.00.

Bergara is new kid on the block making rifles, basicly a rem. 700 clone with mag. feed five rounds price around 800 and up. I own one and its a nice rifle and comes with a few things you don't get with most sporting rifles.

Savage still around with prices starting around 600.00

Daniel defense is AR company located in Georgia 700.00 and up in prices.

Anyway just a few that are around.

FYI Bergara is becoming one of the top rifle barrel producers in the states as well as Europe.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2023 10:05 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, what was revealing about straight pull rifles is that these European countries, none of them allow semi auto rifles....like an AR15. So, they like to drive game and station shooters so they can blast away at a fleeing deer or maybe a boar? You might miss and need a second and third shot, and the shot placement could be less than perfect; to put it mildly
They hunted that way for 100's of years Leonard and some of that type of hunting is also done here in the states. Most countries require you to take a shooters class and have to shoot at a running target, you can't hit it you don't get to hunt that year vrs the states just shoot till the animal drops or the mag. is empty. Many of the countries also have a limit to how many guns you can own, 2-3-4-5 and depends on country. So, they may have to choose on caliber that does all for type of game they hunt. Another thing about the Blazer is you can get interchangeable barrels and think the rifle still counts as one regardless of how many barrels you have.
Some of the countries also have a limit on how many hunting dogs you can have or hunt at one time. My friend in Finland can only hunt with two so he needs a dog that is versatile for the game he hunts like Red fox, coondog (big ass coon type of animal) and also bear. Maybe someday one or two of my dogs will end up in Finland.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2023 10:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My point is that we are frittering away many American companies that manufacture rifles, handguns and ammunition and components. I think smokeless powder production has moved offshore, like Scotland and Australia and we have still bullet and shot production. You are correct, I believe about indigenous and I think they are in Spain, but maybe it's easier to buy mass produced barrels from them, IDK?

I miss Remington. Ruger has bought Marlin as well. Colt is trying to regain it's preeminence and S&W is doing okay. Kimber is hard to figure, the company is bought out and I don't know if it's better or worse. What's with Sig Saur, are they American or just like Glock, doing business in the US?

It just seems like the domestic sporting arms companies are thinning out, some bought out with controlling interests offshore. The Semi Auto Black Gun market is pretty well established domestically. Even if the laws had not been passed about importing these weapons of war, our indigenous companies are doing fine.

I was looking at that Blazer rifle. I just do not like foreign design. Except, Howa. They seem to know what a hunting rifle should look like. Maybe because they have been making Weatherby rifles for a long time? Not sure if the also make Browning?

And yet, a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 seems to be the ultimate rifle. At least in African chamberings. Much nostalgia, I always wanted a 375 with express sights; why, I don't know? My African adventures are over 20 years ago, and I never saw a Big Five, although there was some possibilities for Leopard which didn't pan out. Anyway, just to have a Model 70 African in my arsenal gives me the warm fuzzies. Never happen, and that asshole Boddingham just had a piece about classic doubles, and hunting Marco Polo in Mongolia. Gun mag writers certainly get a lot of breaks. What a joke, field testing new rifles and cartridges with free trips and gifting the rifle afterwards, when "proving" they can kill exotic animals. Yes, jealousy is ugly.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2023 01:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure where sig. is from but they mostly handguns and AR's so they don't interest me much. Dam lawsuits kind of messed things up for gun makers and yes, I miss Rem. as well. Do you know how hard it is to find a 204 ruger? I like to use Vitavory so glad they still around, but Ram shot is pretty scarce here.

I liked looking at some of the big bore double rifles but really nothing bigger than 243 interests me, I hate recoil. Yes, the blazer is little different but with right cartridge I could get use to it. I think the ruger version is more stream-lined. What really sucks is getting 17 cal. 30 gr, bullets, not sure if anyone makes them anymore. I have enough on hand for one more build or barrel job. With 17 Predator I can get by without a suppresser but would like one for the 22-250 or ackley. I'm off to work again Tuesday and hopefully I have a good summer and maybe get a rifle re-barreled.

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2023 04:08 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Howa Minis are probably going to corner the market the little CZ527 had. Seems the US companies are racing to the bottom with all the plastic cheap junk they are pushing.

AR15's are basicly like the adult LEGO sets. Too easy to put one together. From 17 cals to 30 cal. You can have several uppers for one serial numbered lower.

OH BTW, My friend says if you don't use a suppressor now-a-days, your just not civilized. Hell the UK kind of looks at suppressors as basically hearing protection. Maybe OSHA should step in and require them. LOL

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2023 04:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe OSHA should step in and require them.
Leave OSHA out of it or they have you wearing hard hat as well and have to use a cord attached to you and partner.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2023 05:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I really don't want to have to do Lock out / Tag out every time I set my gun down.

Believe with all of your heart that OSHA and FEMA both want to be as big as the IRS and that the IRS wants to control everything.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2023 06:51 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
The lefties in Germany voted to stop all firearm exports. HK and SIG are made here. Both companies have a very small foot print in Germany , and a very big foot print in the USofA

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted April 19, 2023 01:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell would be the actual reason for banning export of firearms? I understand, sorta, banning import of certain firearms, but banning the export is illogical? For the answer to this question, I propose we get ko ko on it right away; before we all forget about it.

Just guess and speculate, Richard. No need to actually get to the bottom of it, I'm sure the reason cannot be logical anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2023 06:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The best that Kokopelli can come up with is that it makes the Libs feel morally superior to the unwashed masses.

We may have to have Bomba ask the Chief on this one.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2023 06:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
SHIRKER!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2023 06:27 PM      Profile for Dan   Email Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the so-called free world has severe gun control laws, thus they are not a major buyer of firearms. The US has the 2nd amendment (right now) and are the world leader in firearm ownership.

The majority of the US citizens are just plain stupid. They have failed to see whats coming, not with just guns, but as a whole.

PMS is dead and its daa the detective's fault, and I'm a happy coyote hunter. Hell, I’ve taken up killing prairie dogs with a 17 HMR. Watching Fox News, and drinking mexican beer

No more AR 15's for me, I want to be Leonard's friend.

Posts: 41 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2023 01:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
THAT is a step in the right direction, no doubt.

Next, try to agree and suck ass on everything I do.

Also, defend me against PM drones when they attack me, always without justification; that's a biggie!

Keep with the program, Danny Boy and we may decide to make you a member of the Posse; associate member 2nd class.

And, that's not nothing, either!

Keep up the god work!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4563

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2023 03:44 PM      Profile for Dan   Email Dan         Edit/Delete Post 
Defend you? Those nit-wits at PMS already don't like me, I would be a total outcast. Like I give a shit.
Posts: 41 | From: AZ | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2023 06:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan,

are you sure about that?

I always assumed that you were pretty much the PMS equivalent to HM's very own ko ko! As you know, he's our one and only Senior Sage, (1st class), and dispenser of wise remarks & pithy humor. The pay's lousy, but the staff here all love him to death! I myself like to rub him behind the ear for good luck!

So, assuming you enjoy the same function and position at PMS, that's high status indeed! You must be very insider and can probably tell us all kinds of important, behind the scene, shit! If there should be something we here might like to know, about secret stuff, you would be the first contact, although, truthfully, nobody at HM has ever wanted to know what they are up to, as far as I know? Still, if we ever might want to know something, (I can't imagine what?) but if we did; you would be an invaluable source, no doubt! So, thank goodness we know where to go.... should the need arise!

And ko ko, don't get a swelled head and ask for a much deserved raise! You already make more than I do, since I'm doing this gig for free. Just bask in the glow, knowing how much each and every one of us appreciate your fabulous contributions. (and keep up the good work, or you're fired) Just kidding!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2023 06:17 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2023 04:51 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, has Bomba been on sabbatical leave or something?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2023 07:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! More Bomba!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2023 11:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
BTT

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters