The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » It's cold outside!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's cold outside!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 04:28 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Here at the house -19
Stanley -29
Idaho Falls -22
That's all right now at 0526

Half the eastern side of the state the schools are all closed.
The mountain kids all have school up here today. Guess we're a lot tougher.

A lot of the roads into Montana and Wyoming are closed due to drifting and blowing snow.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 06:03 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Minus 20 here this morning.
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 07:19 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Waaaaay to cold for my pink & fuzzy butt.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 10:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK

As of this very minute, it's 52 degrees and raining, lightly. Scheduled to get a bit more by 3pm. Nothing to worry about. I need to pick up some meds and then go to Costco.

My new gf is bringing a pot of Chili tomorrow and a bag of Fritos, which if you don't know, is a very good side to dump into a bowl of red. All's well that ends....

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2023 12:54 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of fritos in red chile, I can only assume you're confusing authentic red Chile con carne, with kidney bean soup with a dash of Chile powder, tomatoes and onions?
I can suffer through a bowl now and again, but it's nothing like home made red Chile con carne.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2023 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes. Second to what caliber is most effective on coyotes; is home made Chili recipes.

I had a dear lady friend, a while back that died of a brain stem illness. She would drag me to AA meetings on Sunday nights.

One time, they had a Chili tasting contest. I doubt that I have ever seen, nor tasted so many divergent versions of CHILI. Some, for me were damned near inedible!

My conclusion is that these concoctions is/are just a Culinary free for all! Some are edible, barely, some are tolerable, some are justifiable Comfort Food. And, not everybody appreciates my habit of sprinkling Fritoes on top, along with your various grated cheddar and diced onion; it being a free country.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I just hope this lady brings me something that I can honestly appreciate and proclaim it the best I ever tasted!

edit: My friend, Karen, she's been gone about 5 years now. But she was an honest 6 footer and graceful in movements that conveyed either a model, or a high class hooker. I never saw her naked! She would dress and undress, under the covers. I never figured out "how" or why she did it, except she must have had a poor self image; tall and thin. IDK, but the look drove me nuts!

[ January 31, 2023, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 31, 2023 11:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, I just made a hundred bucks off of my new squeeze because I sent her an offer to apply for a Discover Card. She did apply, and was approved and now we both get $100! That was easy!

I showed her what Discover is paying on CD accounts and she was very interested in that, as well! I think it was a hair over 4%, which was damned near twice what I was getting from the bank. I know, that was then, this is now.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2023 04:39 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Warm this morning only down to 2 above.
Froze up yesterday morning.
Back to hauling water. Calling in the big guns today.
We have no idea what to do with the well or where it may be froze up at. I'm thinking right at the building where it comes in. But we've kept it at 80* since yesterday and no water in the tap this morning.
Would be nice to have a nice spring and a outhouse right about now.
Suppose to warm up to 30 today just wish it would warm earlier than about 5 minutes before the sun sets.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2023 08:45 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
water freezes in pipes from frost level and up to valve. if you got electricity put a electric heat tape around the pipe coming up from well. Electric hair dryer works good or a torch to thaw out a pipes. Outhouse??? Best ask koko about that one. [Eek!]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2023 10:24 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember that the Star on the door is the Men's and the Crescent is the Women's. These symbols were first used for the benefit of the people from Mini-Soda who could not read.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2023 05:31 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got thawed out just before noon today. Thank goodness.
Sun on the foundation, ground and 80 inside all worked its magic

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2023 05:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim has a good idea with the heat trace. Some things like condensate, you can put it inside. It's very low wattage. I know that they imbed heat trace in concrete when they pour a driveway. Never have to shovel.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2023 06:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We went up to Baldy today. It's all melting. Just thought y'all should know.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS yes, new gf is back. We are doing stuff. One thing she said is true, she watches more FOX NEWS than I do. You guys don't know how difficult it is to "vet" a conservative girl friend.

[ February 02, 2023, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2023 11:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
We have all kinds of heat sources/ ways to heat a home or shop. Many shops have a furnace that burns used engine oil and fuel oil mix. Good way to recycle used motor oil and cuts heating costs. Another source is heated water run through pipes that have been installed in concrete floors in homes as well as workshops and can be installed in concrete walls as well. The school here in town is heated mainly by ground water as it stays at certain temp. Many wells are dug for this with water going into the building and water coming back out going back into the ground. Water is cheap here not so with electricity. so we find ways to get buy with very little of it. I have a corn stove in my basement for added heat that burns kernels of corn or can use wood pellets.
Some who have access to a lot of firewood have outdoor furnace that burns wood all day and night just have to go refill the hopper every so often and self-feeding according to what you have temp. at which controls the speed of the hopper. Buddy has this set up and heats his house as well as his shop but not sure if he is saving any money as a lot of his spare time is spent cutting and splitting wood and then putting it in piles to dry. -15 tonight, I should be out calling.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2023 07:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago in an accursed land far far to the north (Tacoma Wa.) a fur buyer / trap supply owner heated his shop with a wood stove made from a horizontal 55 gal. drum with the smoke stack going thru an empty drum mounted on top of the stove. Outside, he had a barrel of used motor oil and a copper tube drip line going down into the stove with a valve to control the drip. Probably wouldn't pass Calif. AQMD but he could work in that shop all winter long in a t-shirt.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2023 12:31 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko my dad had one of those in his shop. Dam near burned the place down! [Eek!]
Burned oil is really sooty, and builds up in the chimney, thus chimney fire. Need special dual wall pipe for that and stainless steel.

[ February 03, 2023, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2023 02:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as I recall George swapped out most of his stovepipe every year for just that reason.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters