The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Thanksgiving shopping (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Thanksgiving shopping
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 09, 2022 08:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, why don't you call a spade, a spade? I think I know who you mean.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2022 09:00 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Places in S.D. free range there sows and close to the Res. and use a A-frame shelter made from couple sheets of plywood. We called them pig teepee's. Land to valuable here to set aside for pasture, either they farm it or put it in a crep. program then lease out to hunters. We had a pig giveaway awhile back but if you didn't know how to butcher or have a place to do it the processing cost more than what free pig was worth.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2022 10:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That seems kinda weird?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2022 12:18 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, does MN regulate who can butcher critters for others? In KS, you can butcher for yourself, but you cannot legally slaughter livestock for anyone else without a license. Wild game are not included.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 12:19 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
can only slaughter for self-use, do it for another they better be there then legal. No back yard butcher shops, lic. and inspected required. The thing with me is I like deer or antelope meat but like it made into soft jerky or spice sticks, or sausage which costs about 200-300 bucks even if you cut up the meat. Butchered hog going to cost a lot more. At one time I could get free cow but the price to have it processed, not so free anymore. LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 09:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how do you guys feel about some form of government regulating and licensing what is basically a hobby industry? Do we need that kind of regulation? Is it basically a source of revenue for agencies or is it something in dire need of regulations to protect the consumer or the public, in general? Because, I'm not quite getting it? Who is demanding it and who benefits?

Pig teepees seems like a worthwhile endeavor. Hogs don't have much fur to keep them worm. In Africa, Warthogs are big time diggers and burrowers. They dig under the high fences and then other game escapes by crawling through these tunnels that they aren't capable of digging themselves.

But the thing is, Africa gets damned cold, seasonally and the warthog is comfortable in their underground dens.

Aside from that nugget; hogs in California don't dig dens, as far as I know? They just get into the underbrush, usually thick manzinetta in central and coastal areas where they have mazes of tunnels under the canopy that provide shelter. When hunting them, you can hear them all day long but they are untouchable, unless you have dogs that flush them out of the warrens. Otherwise, they come out at night to root around and evidence is always there, in the morning. I think that's why thermal is becoming so popular.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 11, 2022, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 09:38 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my current dilemma, Koko, and thanks. I'm a federal disability annuitant, which differs from your garden variety disability recipient in that I only had to prove that my work-related disability prevents me from being able to do the job the fed gubmint paid me to do. As an annuitant, I can make up to 80% of the annual pay of the position from which I was retired, which means I can make up to 56k right now without impacting my bennies. That 56k includes my monthly annuity, so as of 11.19, I'll be allowed up to ~2k a month, gross. Taxidermy ain't it.

The reason was that I was doing a shitload of work at this time of the year during deer season taking in accounts along with 50% deposits. That covered materials and tanning costs and the rest was set aside until the account was done. The most dangerous thing a taxi could do is even think that escrowed money is his before the mounts are done. Saw a guy do that, spent the money on unplanned bills, then life happened and he ended up in a lot of trouble. Tanning is the funnel point as it takes months to get that done and doing it in-house for a guy my size wasn't cost effective. I'd get capes back in May, maybe June, and be busy as hell all summer to clear things out by October. Only then did I get paid for work that took me away from a normal life starting back in November. I've entertained and endured inquiries every year since I closed shop to start up again, but just don't have any appetite for it anymore. Then again, since Lisa died, I just don't give a shit about much.

I've been offered several moderately lucrative new career options, but most all would have compromised the future of critical aspects of my retirement situation. The dating scene just totally sucks. Ain't what it used to be. Sit on my ass day after day, waiting to die. Had a "feels like" temp of 9 degreees this morning and couldn't even get myself out of bed to at least try to kill one of the 3 coyotes that keeps lighting off right outside my backyard fence. I think back often of how Gerry Blair and Leonard changed a bit after their losses and don't know how they did it. There's nothing small about what being widowed does to you, except how it makes you feel. You quickly realize just how little you lived for yourself when life was good and when all you have left to live for is you.

Turkey herding might be my niche.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 10:14 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can ever get over when the wife passes but life does go on for sure. My late wife told me for quite awhile that when she died to just buck up and get over it and get on with your life, She was right but it takes awhile. I'm married again but still think of my late wife. And often.
You will find something that perks your interests and off you'll go to the races again.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 11:39 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the regulations are there to protect the people from getting sick so there has to be some guidelines and inspections. Food poisoning nothing to fuck with. But if a guy wants to butcher himself and if he gets sick, he has to answer to himself. Its been awhile but I think a cow for example has like 8 or 9 glands that need to be removed and tossed away. These glands will make you pretty sick and taint rest of the meat. Sometimes you'll see a meat recall in the news, a new non English speaking guy gets hired and forgets to remove the glands and all of a sudden you got people getting sick all over the place. I was lucky as when I was a kid that's all the families did was butcher their own from cows down to chickens, each person there helping had a job they did every year to insure it was done right and I learned by just watching and asking lots of questions. Now days only thing we make together as a family is cookies and Lefsa. Not much of a thanksgiving if you don't have sheets of lefsa on the table.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 11:55 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The pig teepee's help keep sun or rain off the sows when feeding their piglets and are spaced out so each sow has its own little area, keeps disease away as well so less medications used so you get a better meat. When piglets are weaned then they are separated from sows, and everything moved back to the farm. My son now works at one of the big pig factories, you shower before going in and you shower when you leave and its a never-ending cycle there. Sows being artificially bred then moved to farrowing crates just before the baby pigs are born, baby pigs fed by mother till weaning time then separated with weaned pigs going to finishing barn and sows returned to another barn till they come back in heat then bred again.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 12:12 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Widowed life is great! You get to learn how to do laundry if you never done it before. You get to learn how to cook if you never done much of that before. And the house chores and paying of bills is big hoot and trying to get a system figured out for most anything so things run smooth. You get to meet new people and then find out 80% of the single women are fucken nuts, they don't know how to deal with a divorce or separation from a bad relationship, they blame the men for their troubles then go through life thinking all men are the same. Then you find a few that want a relationship and all they want are the perks that go with it but don't want to be in same room as a man. LOL Did I mention todays women are fucked up?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 12:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks, Tim. Umm, what's Lefsa?

As far as widowerhood, man, it's tough, it's just numbing after 44 years of marriage, nary a cross word between us. I dated here and there had a few serious relationships but with Karen, in spite of quite a few arguments, I knew she had some kind of problem and she did. She died on me and man, that was tough, I miss her a lot. Then I've had a couple that dumped me, one said I wasn't over my wife and of course, that's true, I'll never get over her. Life goes on, as they say.

That's all I got
good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2022 04:02 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Lefsa? Like a soft taco. Potatoes boiled, riced and made into a doe. Made into a loaf then cut into square chunks about size of a women's fist and then rolled out with a rolling pin. Not to thin not too thick. place one at a time on a hot griddle and cook one side then flip with a very thin flipping stick. You start to see little brown marks on both side then its done. Make a stack with them then let cool down and wrap with tin foil and toss in freezer till ready to eat. At thanksgiving dinner for example you take a sheet of lefsa and cut in half, take one half lay flat on table and spread butter over it and then roll it up or you can put a few small pieces of turkey on it with a little gravy then roll it up and eat it. Some of the old timers put little sugar on it after putting butter on. good stuff you don't eat everyday.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2022 11:33 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Indian flatbread. Might have to try it.
Might be really good warm with butter and honey, maybe a dash of cinnamon. Those northerners have some good food. My hunting pard is from NoWhere SD and tells me Chizleek (sp?) is good.

I'm settled with Lisa's death. Early on, I read a book wherein the author said that there would come a day when you could love your late wife and not be married to her anymore. I never thought that could be possible, but I understand it now. I'm there.

The hardest part now is the loneliness. The intimacy of her just being around. I had one real spitfire of a gal who is biggy time into horses that I felt was giving me signals so I pursued. If I even so much as mentioned Lisa by name, she'd start getting all wonky, clam up and disappear for a couple weeks. There's no way a man can just deny his wife's role, Lis and I did everything together. To try and live around that fact pretty much nullifies 90% of my life for well over half my life. She was recently divorced and had no more business looking at that time than I did. Finally just said fuck it as I neither can or want to dismiss or ignore 32 years of my life because of someone else's insecurity.

Had another beautiful Latina woman - divorced, incredibly talented interior design pro - that she and I had become good friends but she is wounded from a bad guy experience and has sworn off men, period. I told her I'd make a deal with her - I wouldn't hold her to the standard Lisa set for women in my life if she promised not to hold me responsible for what men had done to her. didn't matter.

I'm struggling to embrace how small I feel as "just me". Being Lisa's husband was my identity. Now, I just feel small. I told my buddy that my life hasn't changed much except she's not here and it's like eating and drinking all your favorite things but nothing has any taste. It's just "there".

In other news, I did get out for three late day stands yesterday. Called 3 and killed 2 on the first stand. Should have had the third, and I was right on the sweet spot where, once you're leading them just perfectly and that deafening whistle is blaring in your head that you're there - fire-fire-fire - and my AR had short stroked because someone forgot to pull the bolt carrier group and clean/ lube it the last hunt when it did the same thing. Thirty miles from home and no cleaning supplies in my truck, I discovered that a fat man cannot easily reach a too-tall F150 dipstick, so I ended up using the residual oil from inside the oil fill cap to get me by. Good thing, too. Next stand, called 2 and killed them both. Third and final stand blanked. Four of five ain't bad for early. Just now skinnable, if I only had a buyer.

[ November 13, 2022, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2022 04:19 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Chizleek= sheep on a stick! Not bad after a few beers are in you and you starving.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2022 06:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You make it sound as good as frozen coyote turd!

edit: and I ain't tried that either!

[ November 13, 2022, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 03:17 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
small pieces of meat with lots of fat on it. Meat kind of sweet but dont care for the fat.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 10:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking about Lance's comment about how lucky he is due to the death of his spouse that now he has learned to do laundry.

Yeah, same here. And had to have my daughter teach me washer and dryer and the dishwasher. There are a few little tricks to all of them, and well as folding clothes, in some cases I had to just look in my drawers to see how to fold them (you don't just wad up your underwear and cram in the drawer willy nilly) No sir! They have to be folded, just so. Towels-same thing. And, take the stuff out of the dryer when it stops and there will be a lot less wrinkles. Sorry if I sound like Susie Homemaker.

There are stuff like taking out the trash and getting the mail, and putting the mail out and when to do it, and OH YEA! doing the fucking checkbook! Nancy kept 5 checking accounts but I slimmed it down to 3.

You know, my wife really insulated me from a lot of the drudgery involved in maintaining a household. Pay attention out there! You know who you are!

Of course, I never expected to outlive my wife. It's such a basic thing but I never gave it a moment's thought. The life insurance policy was on me, not her. Everything was to protect her, not me and I lost significant income by not electing survivors on her pension, in hindsight, not too smart. It wasn't too smart to retire early either. I filed for social security the day I turned 62, I had actually quit working at 60, not a care in the world and now 20 years later, my fixed income doesn't go as far as it once did. THANKS BRANDON!

One last thing. Lance, you are getting some hate mail in my inbox. I don't know what somebody would think I give a shit. Don't let that stop ya. It all goes to what I've been saying for some time now, that the posters and the comments might be down but the page hits on a daily basis are consistent, a significant number of people read this bullshit on a daily basis.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 11:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Now .......... Why on earth would the C-Dude draw hate mail ???
What ?? Because it's easy to kick an over-weight disabled guy who just lost his wife when he's down ???
Total Bullshit !!!
I will never understand you Christians or the ones who claim to be. [Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 05:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A valid point, ko ko! Not very charitable, nor especially, a Christian attitude.

question: where did we learn that he is "overweight"? I missed that part.

One thing about this particular hater; he's using a valid email account, which is A FIRST!

And, therefore, I responded to him. He's rude in the extreme but I'm sure his mother loves him.

I should post his email and see how he likes hate mail in his direction! He's a lurker, not a member.

He's (typically) a poor speller, so take that into account, if you like, although it's not always an indication of intelligence; could be just lazy since a spell check is available with just about every email service. He's got hotmail.

Anyway, he took the time to write us so he must think he has a legitimate beef. Says, in so many word that Lance is a bullshitter. Aren't we all?

That's the beauty of the Internet, everybody's an expert....right?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 06:28 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure that Lance himself mentioned the weight gain. Common with people with bad knees. If I'm in error, let me apologize now. No disrespect was intended.

I've been here for a while and read a lot of posts by the CDude. Even contacted him a couple of times about the mail and raptor behavior.

In all of that time, never once has the needle on my bullshit detector so much as even twitched and, trust me on this, being something of a bullshitter myself, I've got a good bullshit detector.

This shit just pisses me off. [Mad]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 07:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I"ve used the term fatman referring to myself and recently. At 6', I'm 274 pounds. Those bad knees and bad genes got me. My dad was 345# when he died and my older brother is about 40# ahead of me. Svelte, relatively.

Tim was the one who referenced laundry. I was a late bloomer and confirmed bachelor until I was almost 30 years old. Lis wasn't Martha Stewart by any stretch so I did most of the cooking, too.

Point of order, folding laundry straight outta the dryer not only prevents wrinkles, but you can also stack them by where they go in the house which keeps clean laundry from piling up everywhere. Not that I actually do this, but I understand its value.

As far as hate mail, usual suspect(s). My political projects have earned me respect and given me real enemies, both. I've got restraining orders against one such person, so whoever your mailer is, is an amateur.

Losing the most important person in my entire life has taught me that no one could possibly wound me more than I've already been hurt. I've endured the worst and am still standing, so fuck 'em. I'm guessing it was my 4 for 5 story. Right? My buddy Kevin was there and part of that. Witness, even if I don't give a shit if someone believes me or not.

Big minds talk of ideas. Small minds talk of other people.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2022 09:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not bad, Lance; 4 for five. I killed 6 coyotes on a stand, one time. Nine coyotes came to the call, single file out of the brush into an open gravel pit where I was prone on the crest and here they came straight to the caller. And, I fucking missed the first one! A chip shot, and I blew it! Then I settled down and killed five straight, had to reload and I "think" #6 was the first one I missed? When we were talking about it later, my son said he thought there was ten in that single file? I made a stand in the exact same spot a couple years later. Called in a single, back doored me but killed it.

Sorry Lance, what were you saying?

Good hunting. El Bee

Oh, PS my son was blocked out on the left side of the gravel pile, and they crossed from left to right. Good spot but they didn't come that way, all he saw was they coming out of the brush and then the gravel pile blocked him out. If not, we might have got all 9....or 10? The stand of a lifetime, for sure.

PPS I mean, so far [Razz]

edit: you know, my health has not been as well as could be, but I've actually lost an easy 20 pounds, changed sizes, pants and shirt.

[ November 14, 2022, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2022 10:11 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost 27# after Lisa died. Starting with the evening she died, I didn't eat or sleep for nearly three days. I've since put most of it back on. Had a shitload of elective testing done to account for what was causing my chest pain and was happy to find that carrying mail left me with a healthy heart with no calcification or plaque in my coronary arteries but my LDL was thru the roof. Now give myself an injection every 2 weeks for that but haven't had lab work to see if it's helping yet.

I'm pretty much living for my kids now because they just aren't ready to be orphans yet. Sure as hell isn't anything on the horizon that makes me hopeful for me. Try to do the things I've always loved but I can't do them like I used to and it hurts like a bitch when I try. Still, I try. Had my annual med check a few months ago and my dr pointed out that I was past due for my colorectal cancer screening. I looked at him and asked him why he was so damned set on me living forever? Told him that even IF I had the test, and IF it was positive, chances are that I'd choose not to do anything about it. Death doesn't scare me anymore. I almost look forward to it. He's divorced because he got caught screwing around on his wife so I don't think he is capable of empathy for what I've experienced or why. Caught him off guard I guess. He just stared at me. Like I said earlier, there's absolutely nothing anyone can say or do to me that could possibly wound me more than I've already been hurt. And, I didn't die from that. Hate mail? LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2022 10:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, looks like you need a hug, big fella!

ko ko, step up, please!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters