The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Thanksgiving shopping (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Thanksgiving shopping
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2022 08:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This year when you're doing your Thanksgiving dinner shopping at Wally World, be sure to ask the guy in the Meat Dept. where the Organic Grass Fed Turkeys are.
Then see how long it takes them to realize that turkeys don't eat grass.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Hey, with the price of gas, entertainment has to be cheap.
[Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2022 03:37 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Won't be doing any Thanksgiving shopping. Wally World is to far away. We have enough grouse in the freezer for a small type dinner.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2022 07:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what? Earthwalker might very well be a lot better off with her grouse than a hormone injected "Butterball".

Besides, I've heard, that this grass-fed beef ain't all it's cracked up to be. There must be a reason why they get top dollar for Kobe beef. I will admit that I splurge once in a while and buy Prime graded beef, but mostly CHOICE is fine with me. I used to work in Vernon for a while and there were deals to be had in ungraded beef. Also, my buddy that lived out in the Antelope Valley would raise a surplus Holstein calf on Purina Chow, and that's not a bad way to go. We did the same with bronze breast turkeys and hogs. A 200 pound pig would render about 150 pounds of meat and white pepper sausage. We never bothered with the lard, but these were cold smoked and not cured or water added so you needed to cook it, rather than just heat it up. But, it's a finely textured flesh as Veal, and you really can't beat it. (cold smoked for a week)

Same with the turkey. raised on Purina chow, you can't find a better turkey anywhere. If he would buy 10 chicks, one might be crippled and stunted but the toms were all 25-26 pounds and excellent eating. But he moved to Washington and that's the end of that.

However, there is a kind of cult culture, you can find custom slaughter and people that will de feather you geese and turkeys and just the pick up and delivery of your steer or hog. There are people that do it, or they know somebody that does. For some of you people, this is no revelation; but hard to come by, for us city folks.

Anyway, all of us are the Last of the Mohicans, Sad, ain't it?
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2022 09:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Had a guy that I worked with buy one of those turkey deep fryers. They do turkey really well but he made a couple of mistakes. #1 was filling the fryer too full of oil. #2 was wearing shorts & flip-flops while cooking.
I was told that his scream was heard for a really long ways away.
I got a lot of over-time covering for his dumb-ass over that one.

>>>>---------> If you have a fryer, be careful. They're pretty unforgiving.

So ............ how does one cook grouse ??? Wrap 'em in bacon strips like big quail breasts ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2022 10:50 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried everything I could but finally relented to pressure cooking them. Have heard pressure cook them then you can either put them on the grill and give them some grill flavor or smoke them.

I'll stick to the pressure cooker and maybe inject them with some garlic butter. Did that to a deer roast the other day and it really gives it some moisture and flavor.

Would love to have a turkey just to eat but not a whole one and not going to pay the prices they want. It's bad enough at $5 a dozen for eggs now. A handful of groceries at the store yesterday was $50.86 and that was with several items on sale.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2022 11:47 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think prices are bad now ......... you ain't seen nothing yet.
There is very little in our lives / economy that is not in some way connected to diesel fuel. As the cost of diesel goes up, so does everything else.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2022 03:34 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We know what is coming. If you like rice better stock up.
Same with flour and sugar.
Rice growers in Calif are several thousand acres short on rice fields this summer. They just didn't have the water to produce what they normally do.

Believe it or not after a morning of 10* I still have leaf lettuce growing in one little hothouse with 3 layers of frost cover over it.
Have heard of leaf lettuce in the store at $6 guess it's come down to $4 now. I'm thankful and happy I put all the work into canning this summer.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 06, 2022 08:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall one year my son discovered deep fried turkey. I don't remember how much the turkey cost but I think the peanut oil was almost fifty bucks? It all went up in flames, including the tree beside it and that left over peanut oil in the jug. The fire department extinguished the flames and everybody had pizza when the excitement died down; which was much later.

Always deep fry a turkey a good distance from the house.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 09:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So, did he fill the fryer too full or try to cook a frozen bird ????

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 11:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he just left it on a too high flame? 2 beers later it boiled over?

Truthfully, I do not know, for sure?

You sound like you've been there?

It's pretty tasty, done right, but there are numerous ways to fuckup.

It's probably an interesting novelty? Baked/or roasted in the oven is always reliable.... and you get gravy!
edit: PS we always turn it breast down half way through.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 06, 2022, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 02:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Too cheap to make the investment but they were 'the thing' for a while up in Olympia. Heard some pretty interesting tales of woe.
Scalding oil & alcohol ........... What could go wrong ????

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 02:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In Washington? I can see the damned thing tipping over in the mud!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2022 07:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah .......... They need to be on a deck with a roof.
Cold rain hitting the hot oil and all of that .

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2022 03:33 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
LB and other pick up a Mother Earth News and start reading. There is local people who sell their finished products out there. Turkeys, chickens and beef. Just need to know where to look and buy.

We often think about getting chickens and raising and butchering. That is until the other half seen what it takes to butcher chickens. Have a cousin that does it and they finally purchased a chicken plucker. She can't believe what a time saver that is.

Just ate antelope the other day for the very first time. I'll keep applying for a tag. But there is no way I could eat domestic goat. Raised a couple of them nope no way I could butcher or eat one.

It's out there to find.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2022 09:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the above; I have to say that butchering a dog is unforgivable and goats are next. They are a critter that seems superior to ordinary animals, kinda like people in fur coats. They just have a presence and attitude that you are reluctant to broach negatively. Mexicans eat them, I believe? Other than that I just don't know why anybody would be against goats, other than keeping them out of the horses alfalfa?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2022 10:18 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We used to hunt feral Spanish goats on Catalina Island. They were really wild and quite the challenge. I even managed to put one in the Calif. Bowman Hunters record book.

Memories. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2022 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I remember that. Some type of wild boar too. Maybe it was once possible to get a bison tag, I think?

For that matter, I think Ana Cappa and San Clamente were somewhat open once upon a time? But I think the navy hired wranglers to capture some of the critters. I think the island fox population has always been protected.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2022 02:15 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep frying turkeys is a lot like handloading. Best to consult with someone who's survived the process often before just jumping in.

One of the very few good things to come out of the scamdemic was the shutting down of meat plants and how folks in places like here responded. Local folks are prepping to open a meat market where you can buy fresh meat that was on the hoof this morning. Even have a big truck that they'll bring to you, slaughter, hang and process the entire beef.

If'n the world goes completely tits up, I figure I'm living in as good a spot as any. Ag people claim we have 90,000 cattle in our county which is good. Have a big Waigu (sp?) beef breeder just south of town where I hunt and a flour processing mill (ADM) with about 20 million bushels of wheat on hand, along with a large grain terminal overflowing with soybeans and wheat, prolly another 10 million bushel.

Plus, we have a fully functional steam locomotive t'boot in case we wanna get outta Dodge. Who needs the grid?!?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2022 04:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they call it The Heartland, or something? Right? [Roll Eyes]

And yet, your kids follow California trends and fashions just like everybody else, while you got on your Sunday "go to meeting" Bib Coveralls and your Dress, (not your everyday) Stormy Kromer.

Hey! Who let those hicks in here? That better be mud you are tracking in!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: just kidding, Lance! We love ya!

[ November 08, 2022, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2022 06:19 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as that's the image that keeps Californians away, we'll stick with it.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2022 09:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
um little late here but Koko turkeys do eat grass and bugs and whatever else they can find if free grazed. Not many do it anymore but there still are a few places that free graze their turkeys, ducks and geese. Just saying is all. [Cool]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2022 10:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was tempted to say something about like what Tim just did, because I think turkeys are generally free scavengers and it seems to me that they do eat a little grass, here and there. or some kind of greens or forbs.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2022 07:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
True and true again.
However if turkeys were solely grass fed I'm pretty sure it would not end well.
Besides, the whole point was to mess with the meat guy's mind.

[Razz]

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2022 03:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Piggybacking off Tim's remark, some critters don't care. I have a fella near me that free ranges hogs. Big pink hogs out on pasture grass. First time I saw it, I couldn't stop laughing. Just ludicrous.

The sheer volume of livestock in this country blows my mind. When the pandemic began and meat processors were shutting down in Kansas, ranchers could put their cattle out on grass and wait it out. Contrary to the above, that isn't a viable option with swine. They need to be processed through on a regular basis and not allowed to be stockpiled due to disease concerns. There was one point early in the crisis where the state of Kansas and USDA had selected an old rock quarry neat me where they were prepared to mulch - kill, grind, spread and cover - 10,000 hogs each day for as long as the crisis lasted. Never happened but to think they were preparing for that. A friend remarked that they could give beef and pork away rather than do that. We have 19,000 people in our county, 90,000 cattle and 35,000+ pigs and hogs. I reminded him that this meant each and every man, woman, and child would be receiving 4 cows and 2 pigs and they had to eat it all, because the next four and two would be on their way. Another guy likened it to someone going to the mill or grain elevator and filling as 5-gallon bucket with wheat thinking he'd done his part to reduce multiple millions of bushels stored county wide.

I'm looking for a part-time hustle. Maybe turkey herder would be a "thing".

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2022 06:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember that 'somebody' around here had the makings of a pretty decent taxidermist. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters