The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Pet peeve about patented DESIGNER CAMO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pet peeve about patented DESIGNER CAMO
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2022 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody noticed this trend? If you get a catalogue from a big mail order company, like BassProShops and not picking on them, in particular, just an example. But I'm not kidding, approximately 25% of the front pages is devoted to the latest in CAMO clothing, especially cold weather stuff. Granted, that printing big catalogues and mailing them has dropped quite a bit since everything is now "on line" and virtually, no cost involved, except for back woods Nimrods in Alaska that are forced to use mail order.

Same thing though. the website will still show you all the designer Ensembles that the trendy hunter just wouldn't be caught dead venturing forth with the dated stuff from last year! What? And get laughed at, maybe behind your back, but still, why take a chance?

And, boy, does this stuff have features! It "breathes" and repels water, is silent and practically invisible! I mean, why would anybody take a chance on obsolete gear, left over from last year! I sure wouldn't! For less than $500/%600, you can get fitted out in an entry level costume that will fit any budget!

So, don't risk that chance at a trophy buck with last years' wrinkled (and actually) obsolete clothing....stuff like what's in my duffle bag, some of which must be more than 20 years old? And, I'm sure that I get laughed at. What a panic! "Look at that old fart in last years camo"; and thinking; I don't even remember the last time I saw that brand in the woods? So, don't take a chance, spend a few bucks, it will be worth it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31258 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2022 09:39 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok ............. This from a guy that usually opens archery deer season wearing a green & black checkered flannel shirt.

The ultimate camo to end all is the suit worn by the alien in the movie Predator w/ Arnold. Some kind of light bending technology that makes the wearer invisible ............ UNTIL HE MOVES.
Same deal with anything from sitting in the shadows wearing dark clothing to the 'outdated' Tiger Stripe that I like or the latest & greatest digital enhanced $$$ camo. You move and you can be seen.

Now, ........... A pet peeve of mine.
People take their kids hunting. That's great.
My issue is when they dress the little guy up 'just like daddy' in camo. Kids play. Kids wander. Kids GET LOST. I wouldn't want to be that guy who has to tell Search & Rescue "He's about 3 feet tall & wearing camo."

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7476 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2022 03:34 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I wear bright neon (some time) orange underwear. [Big Grin]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1098 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2022 07:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The last thing I need to be camouflaged is my flashlight or knife handle. Same with my stool that I sit on stand. Imagine, you get up to retrieve an animal that's down but might have run a distance and you need to get you bearings by looking back to where you were seated? Or better yet, finding it as you drag the animal back to pick it up.

What I'm saying is this CAMO craze is getting out of hand! I can remember when you couldn't find ANY CAMO, the first piece I ever owned, I bought at am Army Navy store in El Monte called the Supply Sergeant. They used to have foreign surplus bayonets in barrels for maybe five bucks, and used wool blankets and webbed gear, stuff like that. I think it may have been Marine Corps because that's the only outfit that trekked in the jungle, the US Army I served in, all they knew was OD green. Then I would paint a big white star on the doors and hood of my jeep. This was back in what we used to call the "Brown Boot Army". And, in those days, a real gung ho troop would be wearing non issue JUMP BOOTS and they would be spit shined to a fair thee well! I can tell you a few things about how to spit shine boots, too! Must use KiWi black boot polish and melted candle wax. That's a squared away "dick head". Gimmicks like one pound coffee cans for blousing your HBT's. The guys returning from Korea always had the best tailored uniforms! We used to have a room in the basement belonging to what we called Charlie Chan. He would get you measured for very nice suits from Hong Kong. In Europe, we always wore suits in town, the whole nine yards, cufflinks, tailored shirts.... very "Cosmopolitan", pointy toed shoes with a high heel. If you wanted to click with the , Fraulines, you needed to dress like the locals. But of course, they could always tell us apart, German men have always been quite faggie, they sure as hell fought like girls. And, we would get in many altercations with the locals. Those were the days. lol

Where was I?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2022 08:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For ko ko. One time I purposely met up with a friend to do some hunting and I remember wearing a green and black checkered shirt and didn't have any camo with me; it was just for Doves anyway? So the first thing my friend did was offer me a CAMO shirt! Yeah, really! Yeah, I took it; to avoid embarrassment or something? You just can't fight these things, I guess?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2022 11:00 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I used to hunt quail wearing this really loud Hawaiian shirt. I'm talking REALLY loud with lots of color. Even without a dog I got my share of shooting. Sadly, my wingshooting sucks sooooo bad that I can hit about as well from the hip as from the shoulder. That whole 'trying to aim instead of point' the shottie thing.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7476 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2022 11:46 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't tell ya how many coyotes have succumbed to copper and lead poisoning from an idiot dressed up in sandals, shorts and whatever tank top I was wearing.
But I got to admit sometimes that camo paid off in the fact my movements were less noticeable, and I am a fidgity type caller. I really think the face gave me away more than anything seeing as I wear glasses and the hand movement didn't help.
Probably should have bought an e-caller but it just isn't the same as fooling them with a mouth call.
Ever notice the two year and older coyotes were the ones that were the most cautious and more apt to spot your face or hands?

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2022 03:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with camo gear, even use a bandana that I can pull up over my nose like a bank robber. I absolutely draw the line on face paint. But there’s a difference between casual coyote hunting where it’s not a matter of life and death, and a serious contest. In those sort of things, if a partner chuckles at missing a coyote 3 times, I have to grit my teeth to keep from driving off and letting the dink walk home! No, wait! I mean, if he has a gun, I guess I should unlock the door? But on serious hunts, bring your game face!

Good hunting, El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2022 05:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I've hunted with camo and without, thick brushy country can get by without, open country I won't leave home without it. Many coyotes shot up close and they had no clue what killled em and neither did the 200 yard lookers. Had a coyote get up between me and Randy R. one time on stand never new we was there or seen us.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 4845 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2022 07:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One time, I think it was on the res? Three guys in a triangular setup. Let’s say I was at 6 o’clock, my Buddy was at 12 o’clock and my son was at 9 o’clock. Coyote ran in so fast and was standing not more than 3-4 feet behind (Richard) Buddy. I was on him and had it been my regular partner Pat, I’d have killed that coyote without a second thought. But since I thought Richard might freak or give me some “what if you missed; Bullshit, waited. Lucky for me, coyote ran in front of Richard on a beeline for 9 o’clock but my son was facing south towards Mexico. Anyway I rolled him just as he passed Junior. I know it sounds a little unconventional but there were terrain features that made us sit where we did.

And that’s another thing about “camo” and the other guys blending in and hard to pick out in the weeds. I know another guy that never allowed me to be aware of where he was located. Sort of a pet peeve of mine, I think partners should make an effort to make sure the other guy knows where you are. The guy I’m thinking of would even climb a tree and blend in, and do it while I’m placing the caller so for sure I don’t have a clue where he’s at!

Anyway,
Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2022 10:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean Leonard. I was on the Res. with two members from here. I set up like I normaly do and take high ground but stay just little low from the top. One guy sets up in front of me but out about 50 yards and little lower, he was safe but still close to my line of fire and second guy goes to my left and also little low, too low in my book but both of them was use to what I call southern calling and at time i never knew where the guy on left was. Turned out to be a textbook coyote coming in on a string, thing was neither guy saw it due to being set up to low for this kind of country. Coyote hits a low spot and then appears in front on top of small ridge in range. I wait for someone to shoot but nothing and I couldn't take shot due to guy being in front of me. I had to wait the coyote out and keep it interested at same time till it finally moved left so I could take the shot. Took the shot coyote goes down and short time later everyone stands up I say to my self oh shit that was to close for me and guy to my left. After I tried to explain nicly to both guys we don't set up like that in this part of the country, was trying best not to hurt any feelings. Things did go smoother after that. I still prefer to call coyotes alone, one less thing to worry about.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 4845 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2022 11:23 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I cover my face and hands for sure. My camo consists of the old military woodland stuff or the after season bargain bin at Wallyworld.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 401 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2022 12:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's just no substitute for having a steady partner that you think alike and aren't knocking heads. I'll say it again, I do NOT like hunting with a man toting an AR! Some of them apply the safety and put the gun in the back of the truck. I don't like that and I don't like either, when they clear the chamber and on the next stand, we have to tolerate all that chambering noise!

I also do not like to hunt with a man that walks a half a mile away from the vehicle! I hunted with a guy once that would walk out, wander around, (I'm not kidding!) for 30 minutes looking for the perfect spot/then turn around and walk back to his vehicle. Sort of, gee I couldn't find a decent spot....in eastern Arizona? He passed up about 15 spots that I would call!

Another man, well known, who would walk and walk and walk and WALK! Before I caught on, I thought he was just going to the point and I sat down to watch the arroyo on the left side. I didn't realize that he kept going, hither an yon. I don't usually sit a stand for much over 15-20 minutes max. But when I was ready to pack it up, I could hear him starting his sequence, and I couldn't even guess how far away he was?

I play percentages. If I can make 3 stands to his one, I don't know, but Maybe I could have 2 coyotes in the truck while he is treking into that good stuff half a mile in and half a mile out. But, if I could hear him a quarter a mile from the road, imagine how far a coyote could be hearing it. Everybody has a system.

All I'm saying about that is, a good partner you can work with is a beautiful thing. No, I don't like to hunt alone, I'm not a loner. The deep shit I get in to, having another guy to push or help in unimaginable ways is very valuable. Solitary people are just different? When I leave the house, one of the things that my wife used to worry about was that I could be in any one of 3 or 4 different states, any I understand her point. Having somebody to bullshit with while driving 8 or 10 hours is desirable, while sharing expenses; just makes sense to me?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters