The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wow what a wonderful future it will be when we are all EV!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow what a wonderful future it will be when we are all EV!
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2022 12:10 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Read this link and think about the math.

A family purchased a used EV 2014 ford focus for $11,000.00 with 60,000 miles on it. Six months later the battery goes dead. The dealership recommended the battery be replaced for $14,0000. Then the dealership discovers Ford has discontinued the needed battery.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/florida-family-electric-car-problem-replacement-battery-costs-more-vehicle

THE MATH: The cost of driving this electric car is $14,000 to go 60,000 miles. Divide 14,000 by 60,000 and you have a cost of 23 cents per mile. A gas powered 2014 focus gets 27 city and 37 highway. I am going to use an average mileage of 30 mpg. So let's multiply the mileage, 30, and the price per mile, 23; and you get a cost factor of 6.9 dollars to drive 30 miles in this EV. I recommend sticking with an Internal Combustion Engine, ICE.

This brings me to a total rant about Ford. Ford usually makes dependable vehicles, but I hate working on them. Let's go back to Ford Triton engines. They used aluminum heads and used only 3 or 4 threads in these aluminum heads. The result was plugs being blown out making an awful noise. If driven for a while, you could destroy the engine. The dealerships would replace the heads if under warranty. The aftermarket developed a repair process that worked well and the average cost to perform this repair was around $250 for one hole.

Next they came out with a new and improved 3 piece spark plug that was made in such a way that some of the plugs would break leaving parts in the head. When this happened you had to resort to special tools to get the broken plug parts out. Lord help you this happens to the rear plug on the passenger side.(cylinder #8), My brother in law has a Ford F150 and it cost him $800 to have the plugs replaced. The shop had to bring back a retired mechanic to get the horrible number 8 plug hole cleaned out.

Every car manufacturer except ford has used the same plugs that have been around for the last 80 years. Why does Ford have to redesign the spark plug. I hope they don't try to redesign the wheel because it could get kinda bumpy.

Now my next rant relates to the above ford focus. It is well known by mechanics that ford is the worst manufacturer when it comes to discontinuing parts. I'll take a chevy or a dodge anyday.

Thanks for letting me vent.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2022 04:54 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe some Triton engines had problems, but not all of them did.

I owned a 2000 F 250 4x4 Super Duty with a Triton V 10. I bought it new in October of 1999 and sold it in June 2017. I changed the plugs one time and never had any plug blow out of it.

I agree on the EV bullcrap. No thanks.

[ July 18, 2022, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: MI VHNTR ]

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2022 09:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am convinced that the EV bullshit is a complete scam. Environmentalism, also a total scam. It's amazing that so many people fall for this crap. Why worry about a natural condition? The earth has cycles, the environment changes, no need to lose any sleep over it! We can't do anything about it anyway!

As far as car parts and specifically WORKING ON FORD PRODUCTS,

Let me share. I'm not hard on vehicles, I bought a Ford 500 in 1963, I was Leary but the price was right. I put 3 transmissions in that fucking piece of shit! In 2 years! Doing my mom a favor, on her little car, I had to practically dismantle the whole driver's side to get at it and good deeds are always punished! I've never been a Ford fan and never will be! Those two instances are the sum total of my over 60 years of driving, just those 2 fuck ups and they reinforced my opinion that this kid and Ford automobiles are not to be, I could almost make an exception for their heavy duty truck line but there again, my story:

My uncle whom I greatly respected, Marine Corps, Iwo Jima, etc. Anyway, in his later years, he and my aunt Betty bought a travel trailer and a big fucking Ford Pickup to pull it around. He went to the Ford dealer a couple times complaining about the 5 1/2 miles per gallon milage but they all convinced him that it was quite normal and he soon bailed out of that fancy rig before it cost him his life savings to travel fro Vancouver, WA to Palm Desert to visit family at a trailer park, or RV park. Anyway, he learned his lesson but I do remember that he had a hot 52 Ford V8 and it shit all over my dad's Chevy and my other uncle's Hudson, all this with the kids piled in the back, full blown road race! This was in the early fifties in Minnesota when everybody rented cabins at the lake every year on vacation. Jesus! Just remembered one of them, Uncle Des had a Plymouth with mudflaps with red reflectors, very Minnesota cool, in those days! My dad had little US flags stuck on the fenders with suction cups. What a bunch of hicks, all WWII vets, too.

Anyway, take my advice and stay away from Fords-those are true stories!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2022 04:35 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2000 Super Duty towed, hauled and plowed snow the entire time I owned it. Never broke any parts, only replaced tires, brake pads, one set of rotors and oil changes.

I'll stick with Ford. American made. American owned. No taxpayer bailout.

--------------------

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2022 05:54 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Ford does make reliable trucks, but they are in some cases much harder to work on. A good example is if you need to remove the engine or the cylinder heads, the easiest way to do it is to first remove the cab. This is because the cowl has a huge amount of overhang over the engine.

An average starter labor time is about 1.5 hours. My brother in law has a 4x4 2004 Ford with the 5.4. The 2x4 models have an average starter replacement time. The 4x4 is about 6 hours. I refused to do the job, and my brother in law paid over $1000.00 to have it replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKksQfNU3E&t=9s

DO NOT BUY A 4 CYLINDER ECOBOOST. In many cases they are experiencing engine block cracks on cylinders 3 and 4.

I will never buy an entry level car made by ford, chevy or dodge. I would only buy a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2022 07:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ok but what about my uncle's claim of 5.5 MPG while towing a 5th wheel? Actually, not sure if it was that or a standard trailer hitch? I think it was a 3/4 ton with the 460 engine, might have been a 1 ton?

But, I'm not kidding about the crap I had to dismantle, to get to change my mom's battery!

To be fair, I had a total bitch replacing the starter on my Suburban. Oh, and the damned filter in the gas tank, @ 100,000 miles! that one takes the cake!

Also, the big bitch about all Ford products is they keep changing their parts, year to year and in the middle of a model year, always redesigning replacement parts. That's true, no denying it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2022 10:38 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about a real bitch. I"ve heard that some of the v8s with overhead cam engines have the starter in the engine's valley underneath the intake manifold. However, I cannot verify this.

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2022 02:56 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I've confirmed it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/bfc22c/shout_out_to_the_engineers_at_toyota_lets_place/

--------------------

MI VHNTR
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2022 05:04 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you mention toyota and their starter location. That's been a known problem for many years now. On that subject, the new 2022 toyoya tundra trucks have to have the cab removed in order to repair their new v6 twin turbo engine which has more than a few problems.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tundra-turbo-wastegate-i ssues-keep-piling-up-179617.html

From the article "Toyota Headquarters moderator MG recently posted a few pictures of a cab separated from the chassis in order to fix the wastegates, which is a gargantuan task for such a small problem."

So there's more than a few brands of trucks that require cab removal today, not only Ford trucks.

I'll still support an American auto maker and an American company over any foreign automaker. That includes toyota, nissan, stellantis, honda, et. al. They've all produced some real POS and continue to do so today. The new toyota tundra is an example of this.

[ July 22, 2022, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: MI VHNTR ]

--------------------

FJB Let's Go Brandon

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters