The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Finally Rain!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally Rain!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2022 04:12 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got a half inch of rain on Sunday. Gave me a reprieve from watering the lawn. Suppose to go to 91* on Friday.

Temps have cooled. Covered the garden and turned the heaters back on in 2 greenhouses.

Tonight is the cold night coming.

Flooding south of us in the Chilly valley area from the Big Lost River.
Haven't seen the Salmon river but hear it's up and rolling big time. Will see it tomorrow still in physical therapy with the shoulder.

Cutting firewood couple days a week and working the garden. Have taken time to go fishing. Water a little too high in the creeks now.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2022 06:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Still watering a lawn? Been almost 4 years since I put in artificial turf. It's trending around here, we are back on watering restrictions, twice a week, either before 6am or after 6pm. And they still have the nerve to encourage people to rat on their neighbors if they catch them violating the ordinance. In another 15+ years, it will pay for itself! (sarcasm, but accurate)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2022 11:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We got dressed up yesterday and went to Wally World.
It rained really hard for about half an hour. Streets flooded over the curbs.
Got home, about six miles, and barely a drop had fallen. Rain gauge still had dust in the bottom of it.
Gotta love the desert. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2022 12:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I always marvel at the experience I had that time way down south, close to Tombstone. We were staying in a real cheap motel and I had crossed to street to the "food Mart" gas station, just for a coke and when leaving the store, I got caught in a world class deluge in the middle of the street. I sprinted for our room which was the last one in the line and mind you, it wasn't raining on this side of the street but when I burst through the door, Pat was laying on his first bed and I was as drenched as if I had fallen in the pool, which there wasn't one. He was particularly puzzled because from what he could see out the window, it was a clear blue sky, but he was facing north so he couldn't see any of it, had to take my word for it. I mean, this was a Biblical downpour....but it never crossed the street!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2022 03:09 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
down to 32 yesterday morning. Didn't lose any of the garden. Had everything covered and 2 greenhouses with heaters on.
Couldn't go any longer and set out 3 different kinds of cucumbers and my acorn squash. Might have to get the plastic up on them in a few days. More rain wind and so forth for this weekend.
I'll take the rain.

Rivers are running high the spring run off finally happened.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2022 07:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Climate change is not something to fret over. It just is! We can't do a damned thing about it and Liberals didn't discover it ten years ago, it's been happening FOREVER so get used to it.

My big Grrr is that they whine and claim the sky is falling but their solutions are penalties and worse than useless.

California needs IMPOUNDS, but as usual, environmentalists are against it for some half baked reason. We have marvelous storm drains that funnel rainwater, actually flushes it wastefully into the ocean. What the hell would it cost to trap and save it, let it percolate into the ground water table. That's too easy, can't be done so we are on water rationing every summer.

I used to do a lot of hunting down along the border on the Papago and those folks figured it out a long time ago. You can't drink it but the cattle don't care because they shit in it anyway.

I don't know, just a thought. Too logical, never happen.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2022 05:15 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Went up to a local lake to fish this morning. Was at 8,000ft when the snow drifts stopped us. Less than a 1/4 mile from the lake so we all walked in on the snow. Got to the lake and most of it is still under ice.
There was 30 feet of open water is all. The guys all fished while I looked around.

There is a big marathon race up in this country tomorrow. Usually several hundred people show up. Hope they have gaiters on.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2022 05:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It was 107* yesterday.
The smell of rain is in the air today.
Our Monsoon Season is eagerly awaited.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2022 07:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You just never know when the mountain lakes will melt. Some years, Opening Day of the Eastern Sierra Trout Season is delayed because all the lakes are still frozen. Even then, I've had landed trout freeze solid as soon as they are exposed to the air temperature.

Somebody said it was 115* in Phoenix yesterday, ko ko. Also heard on the news that some dude in Death Valley died while walking to get some gas. Seems like this happens more often than necessary; both collapsing from heat exhaustion and running out of gas in Death Valley in the summertime. Not long ago, it was two females that broke down and hiked out, both perished. In the first place, summer is NOT tourist season in Death valley....duh!

And, by the way, locals in Phoenix wouldn't get caught dead, outdoors in the middle of the day. This is why most of the businesses, especially restaurants are open quite late, in the summertime. No matter, you really have to be quite nuts to live there. (I know, I know! Who am I to make a statement like that!) Local survival techniques include standing up before flushing a toilet! Hot, (very) water in a commode is a local phenomena you don't see, other places. No need to thank me for that little tip.

Love the Monsoons! The heat lightning at night keeps your mind focused, while sipping ice cold Dos Equis. And the frogs, did I mention the frogs, many on piggyback? Makes for slippery driving.

Climate change is real, folks! Just ask that idiot, John Kerry, last seen tossing his medals over the White House fence! UPDATE: Oh! they weren't "his" medals!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2022 03:59 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
More rain yesterday plus fresh snow on the mtn tops above 8,000.
Summer starts tomorrow? [Confused]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2022 08:18 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
rains here all the time, no big deal.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2022 08:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Tim. I remember! Don't you love them skeeters?

One thing we have here is a very good Vector Control Agency.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 25, 2022, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2022 07:34 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
no skeeters around my place just few fly's

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2022 07:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a phenomena, here in what's called The West End, (of San Bernardino county)

See, there are a number of dairy farms mainly in Chino, which is about 12-15 miles directly upwind from Upland. They accumulate the cow manure in big piles and I don't know how, or where they dispose of it but they do, and when they do, they disturb the flies and that's when we, (directly downwind) get renegade house fly invasion AND the accompanying aroma; which they say: smells like money! Anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2022 09:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that they ship the manure up to the mushroom farm in Olympia.
Another place that you don't want to live downwind of.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2022 02:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
cow shit no big deal, use step on cowpies bear foot, and still have my feet. LOL Hog shit no thats another ballgame.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2022 08:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Been getting a bit of rain lately.
Lightening storm lighting up the night sky. Our lightening storms have a cool factor that's off of the charts. [Cool]
Time to pour a glass of Mead and enjoy some patio time. [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2022 03:52 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko glad the monsoons arrived for you.
It clouded up yesterday but too hot and the rain vanished before it hit the ground. Hit the 90's yesterday and 90's again today.

Watering fairly hard off the well now. At least we had a cool wet spring and prolonged using the well.

Snow is going fast on the tall peaks. River/creeks are slowly coming back down.

Fell a couple of weeks ago so dealing with bruised ribs and the stretching of the scar tissue in the shoulder so it hasn't been a fun couple of weeks. Tried fishing yesterday and paying for it this morning. I really hate even numbered years. [Mad]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters