The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I'm thinking about cashing in? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm thinking about cashing in?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted March 29, 2022 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered that Tillie has always become selectively deaf when sniffing around out front, or WOW, spying another dog on a leash, down the block! She has always been able to put me on IGNORE when something interests her-over there.

When I have her on a leash, she can have the damned thing twisted around both of us in 5 minutes. And remember, she graduated from OBEDIENCE SCHOOL! I have the diploma to prove it! The most useful thing to come out of that endeavor was learning about the "Gentle Leader" an interesting device that actually works as advertised. Check it out!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2022 10:02 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Always liked Federal the most then CCI, Rem. and W-W. Match primers always if I could find them and used mostly in small primers cartridges. The large primer cases were never as fussy so used what I could get but Fed. and W-W was a favorite there. Pistols can be fun for shooting cans other than that I never really found a use for them as far as hunting goes. Always thought if you can kill your game with a rifle what makes one think they can with a short, barreled pistol. Kind of same deal with those shotties that everyone chokes the shit out of it so it shoots tite groups like a rifle and only good for 45 yards, what's the point in having one? Admit they work great on birds though.

[ March 29, 2022, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5086 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2022 01:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you haven't seen a coyote looking like it's run over by a freight train when hit with Dead Coyote? In my opinion, #4Buck kills them just as dead, but DAMN! However, I have also decided that Dead Coyote is to valuable to waste on coyotes. I do agree with you that in general, a shotgun is a shrug when you have a rifle available.

Yes on Federal Match primers. Almost all I ever use, I trust them, especially on consistency. And what else is there?

In terms of preference my list is Federal, then Remington, then CCI and last choice would be Winchester, except as I have said before, I use WW Large Rifle exclusively in 300WM. For some reason, many people consider CCI to be the last word in primers and I have never understood a justification for that preference? It's a product identification thing; name recognition.

As I have always maintained, people are shortchanging themselves if they do not handload. It ads so much to your fund of knowledge. There are things involved with case prep that you don't understand if all you do is buy factory ammunition. That's just ONE little detail, there are many other things about ballistics you just don't pay attention to unless you load your own ammo. Generally speaking, a handloader can quote velocities and pressures, drop charts and concepts like overbore and the relative merits of extruded and spherical propellents. You will never experience the satisfaction of uniforming primer pockets or removing the flash from primer pockets, much less outside neck turning and understanding the difference between it and inside neck reaming, even when it's best to trim to length. All of those considerations, and much more are lost on factory shooters.

Granted, those questions are more the province of accuracy rifle shooters than most handgun disciplines. At least it's nice to know where to draw the line and where the law of diminishing returns comes into play. Suffice it to say that handloading make one a more intelligent shooter; at least a lot more aware of basic facts and how to apply them to your benefit.

End of rant
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2022 02:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The place for the shotgun (copper plated lead BB) is for hunting the thick stuff where 40 yards is a long shot. The coyote(s) weaving in and out of the sage is the situation made for the shotgun.
Unfortunately, people will miss or wound coyotes at longer ranges so the answer must be tighter chokes. Shotguns that deliver super tight patterns and kill out to 60 & 70 yards are to be had.
However.............. the long range killing pattern will be about the size of your fist at the closer ranges making it very easy to miss the 'easy ones'.
Be assured that if you miss a coyote running by at 20 yards one of your 'friends' will be there to witness it and tell all of your friends.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7589 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2022 04:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not known for my shotgun abilities, and for good reason. However, I don't favor the copper plated lead BB's in that heavy cover, (thick stuff) you describe, and I'll tell you why. The #4 Buck in a 3" shell will even pass through prickly Pear and anchor a big male, on the run. It's my go to for all close cover situations. I have used the 2 ounce Federal copper plated BB"s many times when walking up a cripple. That load will settle a coyote's hash as well as anything you might name. As far as choke, I'm not an educated shottie guy but I think it's hard to make a mistake with a full choke. Especially when that distance you evaluated at 40 yards turns out to be 65 steps over uneven ground.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2022 05:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
When the shot's 65 steps is when the Mini-14 really shines.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7589 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2022 08:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I attended one of the camp outs had a local partner set up for next day to hunt, walked over to his truck in mourning and he says all you got is a rifle. I said yes and then he goes to tell me I can't hunt with him. LOL Lucked out and got teamed up with two other guys for the day. I shot 3 coyotes all within shotgun range and closest was less than 15 yards with a rifle! Hmm

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5086 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters