The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Bad news for us predator hunters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad news for us predator hunters
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 08:34 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Without this food source the pup survival rate will be much lower.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/deadly-hemorrhagic-disease-that-kills-80-percent-of-rabbits-spreading-across-u-s/ar-AASW6GB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 10:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I've ran into areas South of I-10 that had large numbers of dead rabbits from this.
As if the drought wasn't enough ...........

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 10:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, this could be a problem. But, since the coyote is just about the most resourceful animal on the planet, they might target other critters like rodents and voles, mice etc. Besides, we have all heard of the seven year cycle and supposedly, coyotes even control the number of pups in a litter. Who know is this is true or just a natural response to the food chain?

The thing I found curious was no mention of hares, blacktail jacks? What is affected, just cottontails, or maybe horseshoes? Are we to assume they are all affected?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 11:03 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Number of pups is determined by age of female and how many times she is mounted by the male during her cycle. and also depends on how fertile each one is. As for food the bulk of there diet during winter month's is mice and dead deer with some rabbit or pheasant. As for rabbits usually what I see is the coyote came across one sleeping by some brush or what have you and the coyote put the sneak on it, either it got it or missed and the rabbit runs off to live another day. Don't see much chase going on but it can happen from time to time. Coyotes here will also eat vegetable matter and clean up behind the cows and even so much as to eat field corn.

[ January 22, 2022, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5068 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
People out here, we are very used to coyotes eating wine grapes. There is a lot of agriculture in parts of Arizona and the coyotes know when the watermelon are ripe and then they take a bite out of many different ones, kinda like birds pecking in a fruit orchard. Certain times of the year they gorge themselves on green Mesquite beans, leaving behind some gooey scat. Another seasonal offering is coyote turds consisting entirely of grasshoppers, not the huge "Mexican Generals" which are as big a cigar; these are usually the small red legged ones. You would think they would be rather scratchy coming out? Whatever?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 22, 2022, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 12:02 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that the other day.
It hasn't been good for several years now.
Around here the jack rabbits are very low.
The first winter we were here the cottontails were everywhere.
They crashed by the next winter and we're just now seeing some around.
Have a couple here on the place and I'm leaving them alone for now.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 05:40 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Really knocked the hell out of the rabbit population down here in southern Arizona. Noticed it first last year, found unusually high number of dead rabbits while walking to stands. This winter, I've just not seen many at all,virtually no cotton tail rabbits, at least I have not laid eyes on one yet. I've been out on maybe 15 hunts so far, 50-50 between half day hunts and full days I can count on one hand the number of jackrabbits I've seen,maybe 3?
I've read and listened to those in the know say coyotes control litter size, meaning nature does of course not the animal itself. I'm not sure I buy the number of times a female is mounted theory,I doubt there is much validy to that?
Coyotes seem to be everywhere I've been calling,not a stellar winter, but I've seeworse.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2022 10:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Az I been breeding dogs for a while here and they are about as close to a coyote you going to get. Thanks to Scott H. I would check my female coyotes for scars, so I had a rough idea of litter size for my part of the country and 5-8 is about normal for here but usually ends up on avr. of five due to illness and whatever else you can think of. There is always something here for the coyotes to eat and they over time can get pretty fat if left alone. When breeding a female dog, you have roughly 9 days coming in and males take interest, but she will not let a male on her and can fight to the death to stop one if not ready. After the nine-day period then she will come into 9 days in cycle and is ready to breed. I let the male breed her once and then skip a day and let him breed her once more. This will make sure she takes and if in good condition and fertile she will have a litter size around eight pups as that will be about all she can handle. After nine days in roughly then she goes into roughly nine days out and can still be breed at this time but not usually needed. A coyote female very similar and for good reason, incase her mate gets killed she still has time to find another or if it takes a while for one to show. Young female dogs will not breed till a year old and will also fight a male off if needed. Dogs come into heat twice a year, coyotes as far as I know only once a year, also you feed a female dog as much as you like, and it don't change the litter size. I had one female that got bred by accident and didn't allow a second time, she was just over a year and coming in to first cycle, she ended up with just 3 pups and the male was also a first timer.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5068 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2022 05:12 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
It was raining one morning on a full day hunt. We were parked alongside a citrus grove. This coyote comes running out of the grove with an orange in its mouth. I said to my partner, look how smart hey are. That coyote knows it needs vitamin C on a day like this.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2022 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but WHATABOUT all those dead rabbits laying around? Sounds like a Coyote Bonanza! What? No?

I think it's a little like Tillie. If my cheese gets a little mold that looks icky to me, she is more than willing to help me eat it.

In other words, the coyote and the dog gut culture contains bacterias that would probably kill a human. A dog will gobble down some smelly hamburger and love it, things I used to toss out before I got her.

There is something to that stuff about immortality?

https://socratic.org/questions/how-is-mitochondrial-dna-inherited

When you think about it, it's a little like the San Francisco sourdough yeast culture that they renew from maybe a golfball size to a basketful overnight. and there would be hell to pay if some minimum wage dink happened to toss that golfball, and there goes the franchise.

That's a loose comparison, but there is a direct, tangible link between your mother and her mother and it goes back centuries and millenniums in a straight unbroken line.

Basically, the coyote inherits that code from it's mother along with the cultures within the mother's gut. The momma bear and the kangaroo give that baby a package of survival stuff that's unique to a species. At least that's my understanding of how it works. The cultures in my gut are very different from the cultures in Tillie's gut and we both got that little package of survival thousands of years ago, and trace it back however you like, but it's a connection on your mother's side that the father does not provide.

So Tillie is equipped to handle tainted meat that would make me sick, thanks to her momma. She might be able to handle a steady diet of dead rabbits and stay healthy. I know that Tillie's grandfather, a champion was raised on an exclusive diet of raw chicken, for all the good that does to my murkily explained theory. ha ha! What I mean is that a coyote could probably safely eat dead, diseased rabbits. That's if you believe Dr Fauci's claim that viruses do not jump species....or does he sometimes claim otherwise?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2022 06:19 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
A coyote can eat things that would make a billy goat puke. The article says the disease doesn't affect humans so I think coyotes are safe too.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters