The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Anyone??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone??
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2021 05:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Doing anything other than sitting here and bitching?

Chasing elk in 60 degree weather is proving useless. They are staying way to high to hike to and if we did we'd never get it packed out.
Seeing 40-100 elk a day but just out of reach.
12 more days to hunt. Suppose to be 60 plus temps today so took today off. Rain snow coming in on Monday maybe that will turn the tide.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2021 12:36 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from doing a few "Good deeds" and stopped in to read bitching as I am tired of listening to bitching on the idiot scope.
Leaves are all but gone now and the little deer around here are hiding from Elmer Fudds rifle.
BUT the weather is enjoyable shirt sleeve stuff at the moment anyways. Nice enough out the bees from the neighbors hives are all out and about.
All and all I am just glad to be sucking air and drinking a beer.
And besides my give-a-shit meter seems to be broken.
You all have a great day and may Mother Earth be kind to you.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2021 02:29 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
NVWalt, wind has come up but it's shirt sleeve weather here too.
Stays nice trees will start budding out. Sure hope not.
The lawn hasn't stopped growing it really needs mowed.
It should be 20 degrees and a foot of snow.

Was up over 8,000 yesterday and just on the north side there was 6" or snow hard and slick stuff. Dust is ankle deep and like talc powder.
I hate the stuff.

Enjoy the beer and the day.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2021 05:46 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
These parts around here temps are in the 70s pushing 80s every other day. Been on call for the last two weeks, I haven't done anything other than work, sit at home a baby sit my work phone. Lol, had to work 12 hours on Thanksgiving.
Hoping next week cooler weather comes in, gonna try for another deer and call some coyotes. The white tail bucks are still pushing does around it seems. Mule deer season closes this weekend so no mule deer hunting for me this year. Freezer is sitting ok with the 2 deer I shot in Missouri the week before Thanksgiving. Looking like a warm start for winter for us in the Texas Panhandle.-Tex

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2021 07:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Morning fog has been the rule lately. Right now it’s 48*. Tillie hogged the bed all night! She wants to be right in the middle and I’m supposed to work around it. I might have to drag the kennel in the house and have her ponder the possibilities!

Anyway, the sun is starting to show up and I can turn off the furnace.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2021 08:42 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fire in the woodstove at night, air conditioner in the afternoon.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2021 09:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
By "woodstove" (one word) you mean a kitchen wood burning actual cooking stove? Wow! That's so trendy.
Seriously, do you worry about catching your face on fire? You know, bending over the fire pit, and holding a flame to the kindling? Every winer, I get these ads for "FAT WOOD" which is core resin kindling that catches Mox Snell, and burns pretty hot. Oh, and you can harvest dead pine and conifer in the National Forest, for free? Then you go and spoil it by activating some kind of electrical heat pump in the afternoon? Impressive! There are some neighborhoods that monitor those that abuse resources while playing loud jungle music. Watch yourself, Amigo!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2021 12:32 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's just a boxy version of a pot bellied stove. I 'harvest' scrap wood pallets from Wally World. Free is good and a couple of those 'soot burning logs' now & then work surprisingly well.

In my neighborhood we still burn brush. I live on a dead end dirt road and when I hear gunshots I try to guess who it is by the sound of the shot.

No jungle music. ZZ Top or Waylon and the sound of my Let's Go Brandon flag flapping in the wind.

And if my bowstring can't get my beard, a little fire doesn't stand a chance of lighting it.

Ok .......... Gotta go pack. Archery tournament in Tucson this Sat. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 04, 2021 09:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, William Tell!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2021 07:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The flat top wood stoves are used for cooking . I don't as I have a propane range and oven P.S. be carful of pine as it is soft and will clog up the chimney and cause fire if I use it at all I mix it with a hardwood like juniper or oak.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2021 09:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Juniper you would consider a "hard wood"? No matter, but I agree that stuff like pine can be hazardous to the ventilation system. But, on an open campfire, pine snaps crackles and pops very satisfactorily.

Very good to hear from our esteemed member of the Melching family. Keep it up, Pilgrim!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and you have never seen a more splendid bonfire than of one constructed of pinecones! What a blaze!

[ December 05, 2021, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2021 05:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the soft pine can be a problem. I got a stack of those 'soot burning logs' at a year end close-out and actually followed the instructions on them for the last couple of fires I had last year. When I got up on the roof this summer to run the stovepipe brush, the pipe was surprisingly clean.
And I get the scrap pallets free ............. free is good. [Smile]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2021 09:31 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Juniper is a hardwood I run it in my smoker and alot of furniture is made from it don't confuse it with pine !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted December 13, 2021 06:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I promise

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters