The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wild, wet, white!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wild, wet, white!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 03:44 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Morning, been a very dry warm week/weekend.
For a change the weather peeps got it right.
33* and snowing like a bugger right now.
Which is fine, been so dry everyone was afraid of the deer hunters coming in and leaving warming fires and starting bigger fires.

Know of one group in the back country in flimsy pop up dome tents. No heat for inside. Watched them go in the first day 3 guys, 3 big packs on one ATV. They're cold and probably wet this morning.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 05:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
48* clear w/light breeze.
I love the summer but am really looking forward to a freeze that will kill off our bumper crop of 'skeeters.
Been a weird year; neighbor mentioned yesterday that she just saw a flock of quail with young 'ins. [Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 05:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
48* clear w/light breeze.
I love the summer but am really looking forward to a freeze that will kill off our bumper crop of 'skeeters.
Been a weird year; neighbor mentioned yesterday that she just saw a flock of quail with young 'ins. [Confused]

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] Getting a 'service unavailable' message when I try to post ??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 11, 2021 09:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you must be guilty of something, or did something wrong?

We have documentation that you have claimed, on numerous occasions, to be computer illiterate!

You are always blaming this platform for your problems.

This really has to stop! My blood pressure can't take much more of this petty harassment!

PS I cried for 20 minutes after reading your post before I could get it together enough to respond. Show a little pity, I'm not well!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 10:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten how sensitive the Southern Calif. Male is. Very rude of me. I will try to do better in the future and re-read my copy of Men Are From Mars / Women Are From Hell or something like that. Forgive me; I live on a dead end dirt road and don't get out much. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 11, 2021 01:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
THAT'S ANOTHER THING! ALWAYS FLAUNTING THAT DEAD END ROAD!

Can I help it that I don't?

TTYL

PS I'm (in the middle of) inventorying centerfire handgun ammunition for insurance purposes. (WOW)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 03:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be paranoid, but you do know that if the insurance companies aren't currently sharing information with the State & the Feds, all it would take is the wiggle of a pen ................

"Uh, Mr. Bosinski, could you explain why you have so much xx caliber ammo listed but we're not seeing that you've registered any weapons in your arsenal that use that size bullets ????"

Just sayn' ...........

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 04:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to control my impulses.

Example: during the last "ammo crisis" I bought the only 22LR rimfire available from Midway. Yes, it was spendy; Lapua Center X, and I paid about $120 for a brick of 500.

In my recent inquiries, just for giggles, I looked up that same "cartridge" and they are rationed to 3 boxes of 50 @ $19.95 a box, but if I could buy 10, the list price is $194 for 500 rounds. Not quite as good as Google stock but That's serious shooting at 40 cents a pop. Especially when that ammo guy claims that he won't pay more than 6 1/2 cents per round.

Now what the hell am I doing with serious Lapua target ammunition? I don't have an answer, but at least I resisted the impulse to stock up on more of it.

While looking around, what was available, and some calibers were completely sold out. But for example, Remington UMC 357Magnum 125gr.JSP....$77.99 for a box of 50! Huh? That can't be right? Winchester 110 gr. $69.99

44Mag. PPU 300gr. $48.99. This doesn't jive with the above except the DEMAND FACTOR, and popularity.

And, 40S&W Remington 165gr. $59.99. Somethings screwy because they had off brands for a lot less. Magtech 180gr. $28.99

In 32AUTO for my Seecamp, I couldn't find any price on Winchester Silvertip 60 gr. but the Winchester 71 gr. box of 50 listed at $48.99. I have a box of Hornady 60gr. XTP 20 rounds for $35.99. The thing is, while 71 grains is kinda sorta standard in 32 ACP, Seecamp only recommends the shorter 60 gr. loads.

25AUTO - 50 rounds of Remington FMJ for $36.99. compare that with the 40S&W 165 gr. $32.99.

All in all, say what you want about 9mm versus 40S&W but as far as availability, you could buy anything you want in 40 cal. and 9mm has limited availability and at prices at least 50% higher than 6 months ago.

So, it might be time to insure your ammo stash and find room for it in the safe.

Yes, I know that ko ko doesn't care, I think he has a small Ruger and only needs a 1/2 box of whatever it's chambered in, to get by. Must be nice.

Anyway, FYI.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 11, 2021, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2021 05:47 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
????????? This is screwy; They're forecasting a low of 55* tonight and have issued a Freeze Warning for this area. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Last ammo purchase I made I told the little girl behind the ammo counter at Wally World that there was a case of .22 in the back room and I wanted to buy it all. She told me that the limit was three boxes. Told her that they weren't in boxes, they were in buckets. She said that the limit was still three. The fact that there were 1400 rounds in each bucket didn't matter. Limit was three. I took three. $64.00 per each. With discount & tax (9.10%) total came to $188.52 Should be a lifetime supply.
On the other hand, the way that Blundering Buffoon Biden is sending the country down the road of ruin, .22 ammo could very well become a form of currency in the brave new world.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted October 12, 2021 08:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As to your speculation, I have to agree. At least it sounds likely and logical. It's hard to think of a more durable commodity in scarce times than ammunition and the 22 rimfire is ubiquitous, has been around for what must be more than a hundred years and everybody knows about it and likely has a supply on hand. It's everywhere and in demand, it may sound a little crazy right now, but the little pipsqueak cartridge could be traded and exchanged very much like currency and come to think of it, like gold!

But, your sneaky little maneuver shows that you need watching. That little wench that you outfoxed probably got canned because of your greed/duplicity.
I hope you are proud of yourself!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2021 03:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope ........ they promoted her. She's a Manager on day shift now.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2021 07:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This otherwise worthless inventory is just for curiosity sake and probably exaggerated in the extreme. Having established that, it appears that I have on hand, boxed factory centerfire cartridges, a little more than $3,100, and I have about half again more in handloaded fodder. Most of that is in 357, 45ACP, 44Mag and 40S&W. I don't see much to gain, at this point, don't have dies in 9mm, 32Auto and 25ACP.

Another irrational point is that I only own one rimfire handgun and (I think) enough ammo to last quite a while. Maybe not if measured in buckets? I even have some of those nostalgic cardboard 50 round old school type boxes that have been rolling around in the glove box long enough that some of the printing has rubbed off. No doubt, ammunition packaging used to be a lot more exciting than nowadays, especially when you think of Winchester white boxes. I've seen bars of soap in more attractive boxes.

Anyway, I have nothing better to do so I will start counting rimfire....one of these days? Still chewing on those rationed 1,400 round buckets. That kinda takes the cake. If those buckets are hermetically sealed, and waterproof, they might make a half way decent boat anchor. Or door stop.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: cataloging rimfire was a lot easier. Including that pricey Lapua stuff it came to just over $500. That doesn't include all the plastic boxes of things like MiniMags, and a bunch of small boxes of 50 rounds, very assorted, some quite new and some must be 20 years old. But there is some nostalgia in those old dated boxes that you don't see any more. I don't shoot rimfire very much, to tell the truth.

But, Something I just remembered and a few of these companies don't get, is that the old fashioned packaging is attractive and I've been told that there are people that buy and collect certain boxes of ammo strictly for the looks. I can see that. I happen to have a few of the old cardboard containers of H4350 and 4831, and they have the round metal cap that you just push in. I know that I used to get this powder for $1.95 per pound, military surplus in the '60's. If there's a better rifle powder for most big game cartridges, I don't know about it? This temperature stabilized newly manufactured powder might be the cat's ass but I never let ambient temperatures bother me, just sight in locally and you are good to go.

That also reminds me of this bullshit called "Long Range Hunting" I personally never shot at a game animal over 400 yards away and sniping at animals from a mountaintop, 800/1200 yards away is narrowly defined as "hunting" I guess? I don't think some people realize how much an animal can move while the bullet is in flight? I don't think their rangefinder is that dependable depending on sun angle and reflect-ability. Anyway, different strokes, etc. like I never participated in driving deer in the woods, but it doesn't appeal to me as a still hunter. Actually, I did get roped into something like that once. These guys had this big meadow valley figured out with shooters all along the perimeter at sunup. About 10 o'clock a small group of does crossed but that was all the excitement until they broke off for breakfast. And, this operation involved about 15 hunters. Not my cup of tea.

[ October 15, 2021, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2021 03:54 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Around the 9,000 foot mark the snow is 6-9 inches.
Going out the ridge road it varied greatly not counting all the snow drifts from the wind. Little on the cold side too.
Made the last trip over the pass yesterday. Seen a fair amount of deer tracks, finally seen 3 bucks but could never come up with them.
On the way back out way down low other half connect with a nice 3 point buck. We're tagged out on deer now. Only thing left is to help the neighbor get his first buck since living up here. He's so use to sagebrush deer he has a terrible time spotting the deer here.
Temps have cooled greatly. Blood needs to thicken a lot before I can get use to it.
Now its wait and see how many storms come in and start the snow pack.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2021 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing, thinking about the first and second week of October and eastern Sierra Mule deer season. I never wrote it down, documented it or anything, but It always seemed that a big ass storm would roll through and in some cases, trigger the migration eastward into Nevada. So, get off the mountain tops and kick them out of the gullies, sometimes right beside 395. Some of the sage is 6 foot tall and can be a deer magnet. You have to remember that California Fish and Game don't want you to kill a deer and if there is any way they can manipulate any detail out of your favor, expect it. If not this year, for sure next. When they began draws for very limited tags in the X zones, that would often convince me that Utah and Colorado public land was a better deal.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters