The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » In trouble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In trouble
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2021 12:16 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we over did the chokecherry picking. Roughly 9 gallons picked this morning. Got second batch in the steamer now. Have at least 2 more batches to do. Half gallon out of the first batch.
A lot of jelly and syrup making tomorrow it looks like. And we thought we didn't pick enough. Don't have to go look for anymore.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2021 12:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Anything worth doing is worth over-doing !!!!

I wonder how choke-cherry wine would taste ???

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2021 02:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I sorta thought that's what you did with it?

I know it's not the same, but I used to work with a guy that had access, or a source for black cherry juice, which is supposed to be real good for some ailments. But, way way unreasonably expensive. Anyway, I'd score a free decanter now and then. I didn't have anything that needed a remedy but it's tasty stuff and if I had to buy it, I could live without.

Well, Victor just left. We had a good time talking good old days, but he was Marine Corps and I was US Army. We also worked together at three different companies, so we go back a ways. I managed to square up with him, bought his breakfast. Now that Dick Jones died a month ago, Vic is probably my closest friend. Had a very enjoyable visit!

He still has that Model 700 280 Remington I talked him into buying. He packs a bragging group laminated in his wallet, it's in the .25?" neighborhood X5. And, he met Tillie, she loves everybody! His birthday is 2 days before mine so I invited him to my club for a little range time. Excellent visit!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2021 02:54 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got through most of the chokecherry juice.
Ran out of small jars and energy by 4p.
Sore and tired.
Made jelly and for me that is a slow process. Have more juice will have to make syrup as there isn't a small canning jar left in this town.
I have plenty of quart jars for the syrup.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2021 03:39 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got the last of the chokecherry juice made into syrup Thursday.
Made 5 more pints of salsa.

The other half has been sending in a slip for depredation hunting.
We were called on Wed if we wanted a couple of cow elk tags.
Thursday we were up in Salmon so went and picked up the tags.
Which means 2 extra cow elk tags.
We went and checked out the area on Thursday night. It's a limited area to hunt mainly on hay ground. Seen 6 elk way up on the hillside.
Other half and neighbor got up around 0300 yesterday morning and took off for the area to see what they could find. Only the other half would do this. By 0630 he had his cow down. Only took them 2 hours trying to drag the cow out of the hay field. Can't leave a carcuss in the fields. He got home at noon then we cleaned the meat up and got it into clean bags and hung up. Don't have a walk-in cooler so have them hanging in the shop with ceiling fan on. Probably will have to cut it up tomorrow. I have until the 15th to get mine if I'm lucky enough.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2021 05:28 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the cow nothing better than cow elk!
Now finish up fillin that freezer !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2021 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, hope you are successful! Am jealous, too!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2021 12:58 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe we got called and can't believe he already got his cow.
We went up and checked the rifle out to see if I can still hit a barn.
Drilled mine at 500 yards.
His scope was off and it's a miracle he even got his.
I'm not sure mentally if I'm actually ready for this. I guess when I'm there it'll happen.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters