The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cima road (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cima road
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2021 01:25 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to know...can you still hunt out there? Have not been there in 20 years-ish.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2021 03:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know....exactly. Technically, you can, for sure. However, they have severely restricted access and I heard it's down to two and if the Rangers think you might be hunting they will bird dog you relentlessly and you better not pull off the trail. Think harassment. The actual official policy is catering to FOREIGN tourists who backpack and hike in sandals with socks and are frightened to death by firearms, shooting, hunting and therefore, National Park Service or whatever they are are called will hassle hunters and especially anybody hunting predators, I think they lighten up on quail and dove hunters, in season. Expect to be checked for documents and make sure your tire pressure is what it should be. (just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

[ July 23, 2021, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2021 04:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not one to talk about Cima Road very much because I have been fed up with California Fish and Game policies for 20 years and almost exclusively hunt in other states like Nevada and Arizona. But I hear stories....

Good hunting. ElBee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2021 06:28 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah same here. I hear stories but never sure what's what. May venture over this fall.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2021 06:46 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of your fine state of Calif .........
Whatever happened to that development scam out past Mojave that former Senator Cranston was up to his ass in ????
They had graded out a grid and put up a few road signs, then brought in investors that got sheared like sheep.
We used to call from one of the intersections.
And ....... even, Gawd forgive me, used LEAD SHOT.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2021 08:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Way before my time, Gramps! Allen Cranston? Wasn't he bald?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2021 08:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-Huh.............. Sure.......... Way before the time of the one guy here who was around when mud became dirt.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2021 09:52 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, too funny. [Big Grin]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 24, 2021 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a funny boy! Needs a time out....or should I take away his vowels?

edit: PS Pinky is going in for much needed claw clip and wing clip. Back in business after COVID.

[ July 24, 2021, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2021 01:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yr thrts dn't frghtn m. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2021 03:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to Magnolia Bird Farm this afternoon. http://www.magnoliabirdfarms.com/

Interesting place, they deal in a lot of bird seed, apparently ship all over the country and they have birds up the ass! There were some recycled hook bills and for you non avian types, that means parrots, from parakeets to Hyacinth Macaws and they had one but it wasn't for sale. The last one I saw for sale was $8,000 but anyway, they did have a Blue and Gold for $3250. There was a Moluccan like Pinky but also not for sale. We were there for our biannual toe trim and wing clipping, which they do at no charge and it is a valuable service and they should be commended for it!

So, while waiting we looked around and I bought some safflower, which Pinky loves, and it's a lot better for him than sunflower seed. He's a confirmed seed and nut eater which is not ideal, but he's healthy. I wish he ate more variety, like fruits and carrots but he's stubborn about his diet and I got him that way. Best I can do is get him to eat pretzels and cheese-its, Freetos and popcorn but I can't get him to eat meat and potatoes. His favorite food is cashews, the first thing he reaches for.

Anyway, he is bleeding like a stuck pig, one of his claws is nipped a little too close to the quick. He's not going to die but he's tracking blood all over the aviary. As I said, there was a Moluccan just like him in the open aviary and it looked like a female, to me but it's difficult to sex these birds. I would have liked to see him react to the other one. I show him videos of other Moluccan's and he pays VERY close attention. I think I will do that since he was a good boy traveling.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ July 24, 2021, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2021 06:49 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably too late now, but would WoundSeal work on bird blood ??? Being on Low dose Aspirin and hunting in Mesquite, CatClaw, and misc. pointy stuff I go thru quite a bit of it. Handy stuff to have around.

If only they were Bull Frogs.
Couple of inches of rain and a cacophony of peeps, squeaks and croaks from the tree frogs that have been dormant all year.
At least the rain will put water in the river and the carp & catfish will move down from Clifton.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2021 04:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
In my youth I raised pigeons both racing birds and show birds it is amazing how fond you can be of a bird . My favorite bird was king he had the coloration of a hawk but was probably the most common bird in the loft he was also fond of me.
At one time I had 36 pair. then I got Valley fever from the dust in the loft and it was all over.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 25, 2021 06:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I guess some type of lung ailments is entirely possible if thrashing around in an aviary so you Liberal masked up types would know what to do.

I have read extensively about parrots and own the "Bible" large format coffee table book titled "Parrots of the World". It lists every parrot that ever lived, and then some. Anyway, they claim that parrots and pigeons are closely related, I guess you can see it in body conformation except #1, they can't talk and lack the hook bill. Any pigmy parrot can draw blood and the larger birds can come close to severing a digit, if you aren't careful. Walking around Magnolia Bird Farm, you can buy just about any pigeon or dove for $8 to maybe $80? Parakeets, I think were around $20 but anything a little more exotic is going to run hundreds$ and good talkers like Blue Nape Amazon or an African Gray is going to cost more than two thousand dollars, sometimes a lot more. Hand raised are much more.

I have kept and bred Love Birds and Lories mostly, but for the past 8 or 9 years, Pinky has the aviary to himself. It has Masonite walls and coved linoleum floor with a drain and a hose bib, an exhaust fan, lights and a window and an eight foot slider across the front to keep the squawking down a bit, yet he can see pretty much everything that's going on in most of the downstairs so he's quite content in his little kingdom. Pinky definitely likes girls, I don't know how he can tell, but he can tell and responds to females very positively. If a woman extends her finger, he will allow her to scratch his head. If a male does the same thing, he might regret the indiscretion. If you were to grab him in your arms, and he takes exception; he will fight you to the death, yours or his. He is actually fearless. No shit!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2021 03:55 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard
He knows the girls are the ones with out pee pees !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2021 03:57 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Birds are certainly a fascination !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 26, 2021 01:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they sure are! Cockatoos are judged to be as intelligent as a three year old human. They can count higher than a chimp and know what something is missing; like if his treat is supposed to be three peanuts and only two are dropped, he will look all over the place for that third peanut. That is a strong indication of intelligence. Cockatoos can solve very complicated puzzles to get a prize, puzzles that have to be operated in the correct sequence or there is no prize. And once they learn the sequence, they never make a mistake. I saw a research lab that set up a complicated routine damned near like opening a bank vault combination. It's amazing what a cockatoo will do for a cashew!

Anyway, Pinky is quite a character. These birds have a distinct personality, he's very observant, misses nothing that goes on.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2021 05:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Question;
What is Pinky's reaction when he's outside and crows / ravens fly over ?????

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2021 05:22 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The birds I watch daily have no reaction to crows unlike the little ground squirrels they run like hell. I have two crows that hang out in my yard I have lovingly named them Heckel and Jeckel ! I have watched the crows chase down a ground squirrel on more than one occasion !

[ July 27, 2021, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2021 06:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but how do the Magpies feel about crows named Heckel & Jeckel ????? [Confused]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted July 27, 2021 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have often pondered that question, ko ko. He sees the pigeons and the crows and the magpies and all the LBJ's, (Little brown jobs) read sparrows flying and seems to accept the fact that he can't do it. One time, he was in the garage on a perch and I operated the garage door and that startled him to leap off the perch and soar/glide all the way across the garage in a more or less level flight. However, when he is in, or more likely on his cage, he's afraid to jump down to the floor, which is about 3 feet. So, he will stay hanging on to the edge of the cage forever without ever considering hopping to the ground. It's unfortunate, but I got him that way, as a caged bird and he makes no attempt to fly, at all. Other than flapping his wings if he's real excited, but that's just waving his "arms" around, with no attempt at actual flight. He's probably safer that way, flying birds have a habit of landing in a frying pan or whacked by a ceiling fan, or out the door, never to be seen again. This is why people keep the wings clipped. Pinky had all his primaries fully developed until a couple days ago. I t will take about a year to a year and a half for all of them to grow back. He gets around the aviary with his feet and his beak as the third foot, even with a peanut in his mouth, he can still climb with the beak. He's happy, what he don't know doesn't bother him. I know nothing about his history before I bought him at the swap meet in Chino. The Mexican woman said he was 5 years old and I've had him about 8 or 9 years. But, compared to living in a domed bird cage, he knows he has it made with a 12 foot aviary to himself. He even has a screened window he can look out and he is no longer a feather biter or "notcher". I think that means he is fairly content? When a parrot starts plucking feathers, it's damned near incurable. I don't know if biting and notching his feathers is the same thing but he doesn't do it at all, any more. This is where they bite the feathers they can reach and as a form of grooming, they bite and notch everything they can reach and it gives them a bedraggled look. These days, he looks like a million bucks! He's a handsome boy and he knows it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2021 10:24 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Sitting outside and listening to ravens. They or one is just kind of doing a slow throat chat.Don't know how else to explain it. Almost like clicking your tongue. Magpies were giving them hell yesterday.

Had a humming bird come in under the cabana table then came up by
my leg to my waist to look at me then took off doing 90 yesterday.

Every morning early have a bunch of black birds come into the yard and walk the lawn looking for food.

No parrots or few to no hawks around here.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2021 05:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have ravens out the butt not a magpie one EW listening to the ravens talk is a lot of entertainment ! Sounds like Pinky has it made in the shade !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2021 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Pinky is fairly content, these days. A lot better than living in a 24X24" half round domed cage at the chino auction and putting up with the chickens and goats, probably being shuffled back and forth from a garage to the swap meet in a pick up, and having to learn Mexican; similar to Spanish. Nothing against goats, of course, except they will eat your cage when your back is turned!

I have always heard raven's voice described as a "croak" and I couldn't get more accurate, or descriptive than that. By the way, there was a raven at the Bird Farm when we were there. He didn't look too happy, he was in a wood "shoe box" with screen on the top, I don't think he could even stand up? But, this was in the area where people bring birds to sell to the business and there are transactions all day long. I think they might make a neat pet. Maybe?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: however, come to think about it, ravens are a Federally protected bird, so I'm not sure if they are legal to possess them? Anybody?

[ July 28, 2021, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2021 06:30 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
''the chino auction''
Are you referring to the Macklin-Caldwell livestock auction and swap meet?

[ July 29, 2021, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: www ]

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters