The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Crazy week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crazy week
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 03:37 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The other day watched storm clouds roll bye. Never got a drop.
Down the road 30 miles into Salmon it was raining nicely.
Then the next morning it dropped to 28*. We had everything covered but got frost nipped on several plants. Did loose my cantaloupe plants.
Yesterday we were in the upper 80's. Today low 90's and tomorrow upper 90's.
There was even fresh snow on high the other morning.
Watering like mad woman hoping to keep everything alive for the coming week. The new section of lawn we just sowed should germinate any day now.

Still nursing the dog's leg back to healthy. Figure we're going to be at this until the first of July. See the vet tomorrow and see what he has to say and do with his leg.

Bought a used canoe and just finished resealing the gunwales. It's in great shape for being 30 years old. It's 17' Wenonah. Just waiting on the towers and rods so we can haul it around.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 05:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The weather cant make up its mind around here either!
watched the Westminster dog show agility trials a first for me some amazing dogs ! I've not been well enough to prepare a garden for my wife maybe Ill be able to start late! It's only enough food for one person so a tub or two should do !
Good luck with the canoe sounds like a blast !

[ June 13, 2021, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 09:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just smoke & high temps down this way.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7591 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted June 13, 2021 10:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Deliverance about a month ago with grandkids that had never seen it. What an adventure! Canoeing down a river looks kind of special. They are a lot of work, but you get that nostalgia fix. Maybe a kayak is better for some water but where do you put gear and another person? There's something restful about a watercraft that requires manual labor!

I had a small 12 ft boat once, used an electric trolling motor. What a kick! Make sure you have a paddle, it's a long ways to the boatramp!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 01:25 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We have 3 paddles that I sanded down and revarnished this spring and the canoe came with 3 paddles. Hopefully that will do.

Paul get better. West Westminster is fun to watch. Don't get to watch it anymore.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 01:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Earth;
I've had a 15 foot aluminum Ouchita (sp?) canoe since 1968 that I was able to purchase by indenturing myself into servitude for an entire summer.

Couple of things that might be useful;

I find myself using a Kayak paddle more & more when going from point A to point B. I got one with bright orange paddles, the better to be visible to jet skies & speed boats.

I also have a very long paddle that I made by splicing together two regular paddles. When I'm bow-fishing & such, I use it standing up to paddle. I would NEVER try that with another person in the canoe but alone, I have no problem.

Another problem that I've run into is the wind catching the front of the canoe and spinning it around. I solved this by putting a rock about 40 pounds or filling a 5 gal. water jug and putting it all the way to the front when I'm alone. Levels everything out and actually makes it easier to paddle.

One other thing, I rarely carry an anchor since I'm usually back in brush or flooded trees. Instead I use a large squeeze clamp that woodworkers use for gluing on a 3 foot piece of rope.

Did I mention that I really like my canoe ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7591 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 02:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
By order of the future Mayor of Safford;
Get Well !!!!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on that, ko ko! Paul, quit messing with us! Get well, we need you around here! With all sincerity.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2021 05:19 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Sold an 17' Grumman a year ago. It had just gotten to heavy to lift up onto the pickup.
This Wenonah is much lighter. Just waiting on the dog can't get him near water. He's so much fun to go fishing high mountain lakes. He'll swim across them then follow a fish in on the line. He'd probably love to go swimming right now in this heat.

Other half loves canoeing he's done a lot of trapping out of one. This time I'll be able to go along instead of going to pick him up or pick up beaver when he got over loaded.

Sold our Jon boat this spring with a 30hp jet. Big wide Jon very stable. Just don't have the big water up here to use it.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters