The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wine ????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wine ????
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2021 12:03 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I know that with one exception, this is mainly the Boone's Farm / Ripple crowd but was wondering if anybody here has any insight on using Prickly Pear Tunas to make wine ?????
Looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop of them in my yard this year.
Also want to try flavoring a batch of Mead with Mesquite beans.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2021 02:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think coyote shit mesquite beans is kinda like shitting Okra, slimy. It could be because they don't pick the beans out of the pod, not sure about what causes the slime. As to the Prickly pear fruits, that sounds interesting. Where to go for guidance? Beats me?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2021 04:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Been looking at some You Tube videos.
Seems as though prickly pear tunas make a decent wine / mead.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2021 07:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be some local dialect I am unfamiliar with? The fruits are called "Tunas"? Okay, but I don't get it?

I always called them Prickly Pear Salmons, but whatever?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2021 01:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope .............. 'Tunas'.
As in La Tuna Canyon over in Sunland off of the 210.

--------------------

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2021 04:16 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. Get the juice and make wine.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2021 05:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Simple. Get juice. Make wine.
Simple is good.
There-fore, Extremely simple must be extremely good.

Getting ready to put up a maple syrup / honey mead while I'm waiting for the tunas to ripen.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2021 07:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very large cactus, more than 30 ft. tall that produces thousands of fruits. They have a red skin and the pulp is white with small black seeds; really small, like poppy seeds. Anyway, the taste is sweet and a little like watermelon texture. The birds let them ferment and get drunk, flop all over and make regular asses of themselves. These are a sparrow type with black and white stripes on the head and they arrive in a whole flock. Anyway, the fruits really are tasty and I could eat several at a time. They are plum size. I'm always encouraging people to taste them but they do it reluctantly because I don't give up. Then, they admit it's not terrible but have such an aversion that they can't let their hair down and just enjoy something different.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2021 07:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
They have always been tunas i think that what you have Leonard are mackerels !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2021 08:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, people are funny about what they will & will not eat. Food connoisseurs eat lobster but only Rednecks would eat crayfish.

Found a video where the hero was using a Dragon's Breath Torch (great for de-icing sidewalks or burning pesky weeds) to burn the needles off of the fruits. Fresh picked in a pile, torch propped up, tongs to hold 'em in the flame and drop in the clean bucket. Quick & slick.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters