The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » What happened

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2021 05:47 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I had 80 pair of hummers the year before more like one twenty this year two pair what the hell happened? Where are my birds ? anybody know anything !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2021 07:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, I think? They ain't around here yet, either? However, this afternoon, I found a hummer nest out in the yard. Must have blown down from the wind we had yesterday. They will be back, but they are running a little late!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 03:16 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a few but they've been here all winter & spring.
Weird year............... Never did catch the carp spawn at Roosevelt Lake. Not sure when it happened but my bowfishing buddy & I were hitting it every week and finding nothing.
Now the hummers are missing.
Very strange.

[Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 03:40 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
They'll freeze their little tails off up here this spring.
We've been in the low 20's last few mornings.
Last couple of days have been in mid 50's.
Wind has been horrible so far this spring.
Everything is just starting to grow.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 08:20 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Can we just blame Joe Biden he"s sucha fuck !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But, that's the thing. The few that elect to remain resident year round have to endure the cold by going into what the scientists call, (I think?) "torpor". It's a little like suspended animation; life functions slow down and they become little feathered "Zombies". So, if they come north and it's a little early and a little too cold for comfort, they have the ability to survive. If anything could be called a SUPERBIRD; it must be HUMMERS!

I mean, I can't really get my head around that one little factoid that the eastern Ruby throated flies across the Gulf of Mexico, nonstop! How can that be?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 08:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
They come and go from here nonstop I don't understand it ! how they can go from here to Mexico without stopping ! Must be my sugar !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 11:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
YUP! That's it! Unless you are putting red dye in your nectar? Liberals claim that kills them? I'm just guessing it's liberals? My asshole neighbors don't use red dye and I assume they are liberal? They have all the symptoms.

Okay! Now the good news! It helps to just get out and observe, a bit. I did, and the first thing I noticed was a Black Chinned stationed in a Queen palm in the yard behind me and he was guarding the feeder in the back corner of Liberal asshole's yard next to me. So, that's already started, and the Black Chinned are almost always the first to arrive. This will tell you how I'm not paying attention because 10 minutes later I saw an Allen's perched in my Oak tree. Two minutes after that I saw two Allen's buzzing each other. My excuse is that I have been performing manual labor, digging and landscaping stuff and have not been paying attention. Sooooo, I better set out some nectar! And see if I have food dye. I make it a point to use it and put a feeder, (with red food coloring) where the Liberals can see it. It's so easy to tick them people off!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 11, 2021, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 12:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use dye simply because it's not needed.
If it would piss liberals off though, I could coat the outside of the feeders with Red Dykem but everybody on the road that I live on is an NRA member.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 01:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you just bragging? Or, are you teasing me? But, you actually do have a point. I don't know why I use red food coloring because as you say, it's not really needed. Hummers know the score, they know it's an artificial feeding station put out for their benefit. They know it's not a flower. But, the color does increase the drainage. Somebody, somewhere must have calculated it? There is scientific proof that hummers are attracted to the color red. We know they are attracted to a "bottle". So, if there be a dozen feeding stations scattered around a small area, would 6 red feeders be drained faster than the six clear glass feeders? Way too complicated, you have to start questioning the locations, forget it!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 11, 2021, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2021 02:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A little of both. My road's probably the next to the last place antifa's gonna march. (Paul's driveway probably being {literally} the last place that they'll march.)

My feeders have red tops & bottoms and a few of them also have gaudy yellow fake flowers. The birds and sometimes honey bees don't seem to have any problem finding the feeders.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2021 03:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Fed the hummers on the lookouts.
Usually all my summer storms came from the west. I hung the feeder on the SE corner. When storms came had to pull the feeders so it wouldn't spill all over the windows.
I have had them come in on the E side of the building through the door to find the feeder. Usually put the feeder on a short legged stool at the door so they could keep feeding durning the dust storms.
At another lookout one summer had over 20 some odd hummers show up one night it sounded like a big plane outside with all the little wings beating.

Started feeding them up here and had about 4 show up. Love watching them feed.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2021 07:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had crashes, almost always a certain 8' slider, it must look like a great pass through tunnel? It's usually the speed demons, don't recall a mockingbird, but have had bandtail pigeons and one time a sharpshinned hawk, who has been terrorizing the Bandtails for years! One time a black throat broke his neck and another time, it was also a Black throat, knocked himself out. I picked him up and brought him inside. I have photos of him in my hand, and flying all over the house when he "came to". But he took a powder through the same door 15-20 minutes later when I left it open for him. I bet he had some bullshit stories to share with his girlfriend!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2021 01:18 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Had 2 robins hit by front door the other morning.
Killed the female and the male lived.
At least the female isn't sitting on my chairs under the cabana and chitting all over them.
I have a lot of windows and the east side are always being hit.

Had 2 yellow, black white strip winged orange headed birds show this morning.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2021 02:57 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I never use dye its not needed !still no birds ! its 90 here today !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 14, 2021 07:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's your answer, Binkie! Use dye! Attract hummers with red! Who knew?

What you got to lose?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2021 08:17 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey El Bee;
Fun with Liberal Neighbors 101.
Put a bit of yellow food coloring in your feeder that 'those people' can see.
When they ask you about it, tell them that you're Diabetic, sugar in your urine, why let it go to waste, birds seem to like it, on and on.
If they're good liberals (control freaks) they will turn you in to Animal Control and when the Dog Catcher shows up you can invite him in to pet Tillie while you chat about urbane coyote densities.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2021 11:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've thought of that many times. They get that apoplexy just watching me water my artificial lawn, during drought!

I'm really starting to worry about Tillie. She goes nuts over lizards! They crawl into some crevice and then she barks and scolds and doesn't give up! I wonder if neighbors think I'm beating her? She will literally bark at a crack in the friggin' wall for an hour! I mean, I'm glad to see the hunt instinct working but she can drive even someone as tolerant as I, to get fed up! Another thing; she does not get it! Lizards only come out in the middle of the day, or at least when the sun is shining. Last night I saw her gobble a damned spider, after playing with it enough to really piss it off!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2021 01:03 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A clear sign that you don't give her enough attention.

BwaaaHaaaaaHaaaaa. [Big Grin]

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2021 04:17 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe it. Had a Humming bird show up last night!
So jumped up and got some syrup made for it.
We're going into a wet cool down. I'll believe the wet when it hits me.
The little did come back and feed before dark.
I still think it's a little early for it up here. Things are just now blooming.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters