The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » My bird farm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My bird farm
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2021 10:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bird bath and two bird feeders one on a frying pan drilled to accept some wire to hang in it in a tree the other is a platform mounted on a large dowel bout 1.5 inch sitting in an umbrella holder I get many scrub jays , crows actually ravens ,chickadees, finches and some little birds I need to look up the have an iridescent blue back and a bright red breast they seem to glow ! they are bigger than a sparrow smaller than a robin just beautiful , I know you are a bit of a birder Leonard do you have any idea what they are ? I also keep a pan of water out for the bunnies It is just a hoot to see rabbits (cotton tails drinking from a pan ) Its been a dry year ! bless my critters !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2021 10:45 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a number of birds
close as I could get was
Western Blue Bird?
Indigo Bunting?
Lazuli Bunting?
The Lazuli Bunting a small sparrow sized and amazing to see. Had them at the lookout in the summer.
Had the Western Blue Birds in the early summer.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2021 07:54 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm feeding a bunch of sparrows or something.
At least no collard doves this year.
This area is fairly brid-less it seems like. Lot of Canadian geese galore it seems like.
Have deer coming through the yard now with all the snow on.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2021 05:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks EW I did some searching and they seem to be Western bluebirds ! Just beautiful little guys !
I get some quail some dove and many others we are far from bird less ! I also have elk, deer and even antelope! as well as stinky Javelina!

[ January 06, 2021, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2021 05:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
forgot to mention coyote bobcat fox and mtn. lion I have them on game cameras cuz you wont find me outside in those temps !

[ January 06, 2021, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2021 08:46 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I have three pine trees around the house, full of birds. I'm always picking up dead babies that fell out of the nest so my dog doesn't eat them.

They drive us nuts, sorry not a bird guy ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2021 11:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tons of quail and I'm feeding Paul's Hummingbirds while they're here for the winter.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2021 12:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought, by the description was a blue bird. We don't get them around here. The western Bluebird has a lot of orange but the Mountain Bluebird is a uniform light blue except the females only have blue wings, the rest is gray/brown.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Dave, what possible harm could come from your dogs eating baby birds?

[ January 06, 2021, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2021 05:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Let em eat Dave its what they do ! Thanks Koko say hi to Steve and Queenie for me! You nailed it Leonard real pretty little birds ! After EW posted I went and looked up the birds mentioned and there they were !

[ January 07, 2021, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 07, 2021 07:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very certain that around here, more nestlings are killed/eaten by crows than any other reason. They are vicious and persistent bastards. The babies peep for food and the crows have incredible hearing, they zone in on the nest location and that's it. And yet, crows are extremely upset at the very sight of any raptor. They will hound them, gang up and harass a hawk for hours, especially owls! Crows deserve everything they get.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2021 09:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Out here we have a saying when talking to the game warden the crow is always the one on the ground and the raven is the one in the tree! All birds are viscous people don't realize how cruel they are !
THEY THINK PRETTY LITTLE BIRD !Voracious little predators ! Crows are truly the assholes of the bird world ,,,,,

[ January 07, 2021, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters