The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Merry Christmas (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Merry Christmas
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2020 09:05 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That Knob Creek 100 proof is some good shit ! My SIL knows my heart !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2020 10:01 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of partial to Chaucer's Mead myself. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2020 12:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Mead was a wine made with honey? In fact, I think I have had some, years ago?

Also, I have understood that 100 proof whisky is not recommended by doctors, maybe just some doctors? In what way is it better that Wild Turkey? I don't know anything since I have not tasted whisky in a coons age.

There were times while hunting at night when it was so incredibly cold that I was glad that I had a half pint of Peach Brandy to ward off the chill. But what helped was the conviction that the coyotes were very eager under a moonless night with high pressure. On the other hand, I think I was nuts to involve myself in such things.

Come to think of it, I've done many stupid things, more than my share....never mind!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2020 03:09 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, sir. Mead is a honey based wine. There are a LOT of variations of it. Some sweet and some dry. Some that I thought was more like honey vinegar. My wine snob daughter thinks that the Chaucer's Mead that I like is too sweet.
Mead; Good for the Vikings, good for the Gods in Valhalla and good for me. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2021 07:01 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Whiskey is bullet rye neat

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2021 07:31 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
''My favorite Whiskey is bullet rye neat''
Mine too.

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2021 07:43 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Fireball, maybe I need to try some good stuff ? not a drop last night though, stayed up till 2am watching Yellowstone.
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2021 09:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave;
Try Fireball & Rum Chata 50/50 on ice. Makes a great 'sundowner' on a cold night in front of the woodstove.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 01, 2021 10:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Brandy in the cold. As far as my personal tastes, I find not much to like about straight Bourbon whisky. The experts all claim the premium stuff is blended using some sort of secret formula. The actual preference for Rye whisky is also a bit puzzling to me? My dad always favored Rye whisky for some reason, their gang seemed to drink Whisky Sours. Us kids would get up in the morning and drink whatever was left in glasses which were probably somewhat diluted by melted ice. Rum and Coke was a little too exotic for that crowd, hardly ever saw it.

We had a good sized rec room in the basement where they threw all the parties. And, they seemed to have a lot of parties, in comparison, I have not hosted any parties other than for birthdays and christenings, but never thrown a party just to get together and drink. Oh, yeah, and dance, we had an actual one armed bandit and a fancy Wurlitzer Jukebox and they had a slick floor for dancing, tossing or sprinkling granulated wax. I never thought about it at the time, or since but all those people were veterans and glad the war was over and always seemed to have an excuse to celebrate.

Compared to my parents, I'm just a stick in the mud but I thought it was normal at the time. Never an incident, no cops, but that was Minneapolis. When we moved out here, totally different, Barbecues and pool parties. I guess the culture just evolves.

Like I said, last night the whatever it was, firecrackers or gunfire was scattered, didn't sound like a war and didn't last long. I kinda think (maybe) Americans are not as happy and carefree as they were 50/60 years ago? So, is that good or bad, happy or sad? I dunno, you tell me?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2021 06:18 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mayhap nobody wanted to waste precious ammo or explosives on celebrating the upcoming O-biden regime. [Confused]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2021 03:36 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Drinking alcohol to stay warm is folly it actually makes you colder,But it feels so good !

[ January 02, 2021, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2021 10:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've heard that, but sitting in a snowbank with the temperature way down in the single digits, at least psychologically, it seems to provide a little comfort. That's all I need is a little cheer. I know it's not as useful as sitting in front of a fireplace, but then again, I can't tote a fireplace in my back pocket but I can have a half pint of Peach Brandy. And, since I'm not a real fan of neat whisky at any time, the Brandy feels warm going down. In Germany, it was Cognac. Surprising, until I got there, I probably thought Krauts drank Schnapps, but they drink a lot of Cognac, which is nothing more than French Brandy. Almost all of it 3 Star. Hennessy, which is high grade and costs a lot more unless you buy it in the duty free store at the airport. Anyway, I happen to prefer Cognac, (Brandy) to Whisky.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I was stationed in West Germany, now it's blended with East Germany, but even then along the Rhine River where we were, for the most part, Mannheim, Darmstadt, Frankfurt, Kaiserslaughtern and Karlsruhe. It's very close to France and maybe that's why they drink Cognac, proximity?

But, since there were only two of us enlisted that were married and lived off post instead of the barracks, we got what they called "Class 6" stamps which was the privilege to buy American "spirits" at PX prices, and since neither me or my wife were big drinkers, we would buy stuff like whisky and sell it on the economy and at least double our money. This was just like the tobacco which was "class 4" and everybody was entitled to, living off post or in the barracks. I didn't smoke either so I could double that money, as well. In fact, I paid my rent with cigarettes. Without class 6 and class 4 and occasional KP duty where I could steal a chicken, we might have starved! Such fun!

[ January 02, 2021, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 10:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Tabaco and Liquor with no food sounds like a gubmint program !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 10:05 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
AND NEVER FORGET PIDGEON TASTES PUDRY GOOD !

[ January 04, 2021, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 11:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The Army just rationed certain things, like one carton of cigarettes per week, which is more than a pack a day. I think the ration on liquor was also 4 bottles per month? The way it worked out was some months there were 5 weeks and the rest there were four weeks and therefore four cartons or some months you could buy five cartons. Just went by the calendar, they would cut the stamps off your card with a scissors to redeem them, not very high tech. But you had to buy these things at the PX, "Post Exchange" and the big rush was the first of the month when everybody got paid, always a day off.

That's it!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
jUST SITTIN IN DA PARK EATEN MY PIDGEON AND DRINKIN GUBMINT LICKER LIFE IS GUUD !

[ January 04, 2021, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 01:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh............. Fire roasted squab washed down with Thunderbird !!!!
Who says this ain't a classy place ??? [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 02:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they really make Thunderbird wine these days? It was pretty trendy stuff when I was in high school, so that was between 1956 and 1960. Honestly, I have never heard of it since because I joined the Army and was mostly deployed and I'm not supposed to talk about most of that stuff. Quite seriously!

I think it was a sweet wine? I never actually bought any. We had a slick deal because my buddy's dad had a market and Richard had keys. We could go in there at night and shop like a grown up, it was really a trip because when you are 16, somebody else had to provide you with booze. I had one other friend, Earle, who looked old enough to buy booze but I looked about 13 so it was really a big deal to put your stuff on the counter and Richard would ring it up and we would pay for it. He didn't have hard liquor, just wine and beer, but the cool stuff, at the time was Country Club Malt Liquor, in a can that was about half the size of a regular can of beer. The cool beer was none other than Lucky Lager, with a big red X on a green can. Everybody carried a church key which was a can opener that punched a Vee opening on both sides of the top. Imagine! No self opening can! Those were the days, steel can, too.

Where was I? Yes, there were other wines besides T Bird. Eden Roc was one, same type, I think they were kinda sweet, I don't remember them as "dry wines" but I didn't drink very much wine, just Country Club when I could get it. The can would fit on a jacket pocket very easily, like at the high school dances. No metal detectors and no frisking, we were pretty law abiding in those days, kinda like American Grafitti. I think everybody had a hotrod but me.

Earles been gone 10 years and Richard moved to Jacksonville and Dick is up in Washington. I see a few of the girls, once in a while, but mostly email. That's one of the things that was canceled this past year was our high school reunion, 60 years. I think they will have it this summer, maybe combine it with the class of '61? We had a fairly close group that year, I think the graduating class was about 500? There's a news letter and before the Virus, we used to have a breakfast on Saturday mornings in San Dimas, every other month. You never knew who would show up, mixed classes but mostly 58-59-and 60, one guy, Wayne was '57. It's getting harder to recognize these people after 60+ years. They/we need to restart the breakfasts, at the Pepper Mill in San Dimas. Everyone in favor, raise your hand!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 04:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
But what about that all time high school favorite ........... Boone's Farm Apple ???????

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2021 05:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure that was later. My wife actually liked that stuff. I guess mid sixties, maybe? Ten years later than what I'm taking about. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2021 10:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
At sixteen a bag of pretzels and a bottle of Ripple two hits of white Sandoz good for the day!
pretty scary to look back on it ! but Im still here !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2021 01:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, uh huh, and back then you were immortal, too1 I know I was. And didn't trust anybody over 30, right? Your perspective seems to change, somewhat.

edit: Ripple! I totally forgot that one!

I may have mentioned that in Germany, the focus is on their 12% beer, and there is a different brewery in every town. Park Brau in Kaiserslaughtern, for instance and in Karlsruhe it was Monager Beer or Harvey Dincalargher/ and I mangled both of those names pretty badly. The point is that there were very few national brands but there was a brewery in every town.

In fact, I brought back, when I was there as a civilian in 1989 a whole suitcase full of glasses from every brewery or I should say, every Gasthaus we stopped at.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 05, 2021, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2021 05:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother used to laugh and say that in Europe they drink beer at room temperature but the temperature of a room in Europe was about 40 degrees !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2021 08:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty funny, Paul!

Another thing, we spent a lot of time in the field, various maneuvers and every dirt road lead to a farmhouse. Except, most of these farmhouses were several hundred years old and made out of concrete or stone and big enough for their ten kids. The funny thing is that in the winter, they would close off the whole house, at least two stories and the whole family would live in one room with a cow or two. The cows provided heat and room freshener. You can't make this stuff up!

The other thing, although I personally don't have too much direct knowledge is those farm girls didn't need much coaxing but they wore a type of Lederhosen , basically leather underwear. They tell me that pulling those pants off was a real boner killer, I don't know, my wife was with me and we lived on the economy, not government housing.

Those isolated farm houses were very interesting, pretty much self sufficient. Sometimes there would be a couple residential buildings and a church, that was the key, more than one farmhouse, you need a church. That country goes back a ways, we might talk about 1776 and that's a long time ago, but they could go back to Martin Luther which must be twice as long?

For some reason, Germans absolutely LOVED our C Rations, they all knew about them and they would get excited over some of the stuff we discarded, like the instant coffee and even the toilet paper and every box had a pack of cigarettes, which were highly regarded over the local Peter Styversantes brand, (there I go mangling the name again! So, we could trade a case of C Rations for a case of beer, which were the one liter gasket bottles. A German would have that bottle in his Schnitzel Bag, and take a sip all day long, at room temperature.

Germans pretty much cultivate and groom their forests, they have a Burgomaster take care of the game and they didn't let the clutter accumulate. It was common to see whole families, the men in their gray suit and gray shoes and the females dressed up, and they would wander down these paths in the forest and there is always a Beer Garden where they could enjoy, (what else) a tankard of beer. They loved to stroll in their woods. We would hang communication cable in their trees and the Burgomeister would charge the Army a Mark for every spike hole in the bark, then cut the brass hocks and sell them for scrap. There is not a lot of game in the woods, very few deer and rabbit, what they have the most of is the European Wild Boar, and you will only see them driving at night.

Strolling down Memory Lane
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2021 08:53 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My great great grandfather was the Burgermiester of Hanover Germany I used to have his beer stein think my sister has it now !

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters