The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Any horse people here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any horse people here?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 07:46 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking at horses and thinking and this and that.
Had horses growing up then they got old.
We were working 24/7/365 and so have not had a chance to get anymore.

Is there such a thing as well broke grade horses anymore?

Everyone seems to think ol' soap is bred from Man O' War and Pegasus.

I'm having a hard time justifying paying 2500 and up for horses.
Also would need to buy a horse trailer.
Have the rest of the equipment. 3 saddles and 2 deckers.Plus all the other stuff you need.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My son wound up with a horse without hardly trying. First you need to have a relationship with a Veterinary assistant. There are people that can't afford a farrier, much less the alfalfa and vet visits they need, so....

Some people can afford to keep and maintain unwanted animals, but if approached right, will let you have one, maybe older, maybe no negatives at all?

I bet there are people that would love to get out from under a decent animal, maybe they are boarding them, maybe not caring for them as they deserve. Let's face it, a horse is a big responsibility, and a big expense. Maybe you are adventurous enough to adopt a mustang?

Judging by the menagerie of unwanted goats and cows, horses and cats and dogs that this woman has accumulated, and having the room, (and her mother's money) I bet if you inquired with a vet that has a large animal practice, they could probably put you in touch with somebody anxious to get rid of a decent horse, without having to spend a lot.

LB

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31491 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 06:27 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear ya. Had not rode in years until recently. Been helping my neighbor this summer and fall here and there with his cattle.

There is something about being on a good horse. Hard on a pasture though you know that [Big Grin]

Like everything they are expensive. The one I like to ride of his is really smooth. I can buy him for 5K.
[Eek!]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2020 05:57 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man! But the commitment of ownership is like having a child huge time commitment at my age cant justify it even if the horse was free! Oh did I mention I love horses!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters