The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A Face Only A Mother Could Love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Face Only A Mother Could Love
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2020 08:30 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
While it may not be a land predator this kokanee salmon is plenty predatory in the water. While this is a face only a mother could love, they do look pretty cool all spawned up like this.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2020 09:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite a set of jaws! I thought you didn't bother fishing them in that condition, they aren't interested in eating...unless you snagged him, maybe? Are they edible?

LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31495 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2020 09:10 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
As I've stated already, I'm not much on eating fresh water fish so that really isn't a factor to me. I will say these salmon put up a heckuva good fight and are a blast to catch. The will still hit a lure, but it is a reactionary strike. You don't try to fool them into eating, just try to tick them off until they can't take it, and attack. My preferred lure is a marabou jig. I pretty much catch all my fish either on a marabou jig when I'm spin fishing, or a fly when fly fishing.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2020 06:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dry flies?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 05:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Used to catch a few in the eastern Sierra on a creek where they were land locked. fUN to catch I always tossed them back!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 06:32 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, mostly wet flies like midges, leeches, nymphs. Rarely use dry flies.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 08:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 08:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The only fly fishing I do is dry flies using spinning gear and a bubble. I have not tied a fly since I was a kid, but they are cheap. Maybe it's a poor excuse, with a fly rod, but I really enjoy it as the sun goes down, in the late afternoon. It's the best fishing of the whole day, no matter your preference.

LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2020 11:42 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I too, have caught many fish using the fly and bubble method, and I'm sure I will still do it again.
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2020 01:55 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Those salmon on a fly are a real hoot to catch and fight like they mean it. The wife used to tie up all sorts of guady and funny looking flies for me to try on the salmon and they all worked because you just piss them off and they hit.
Winter steelhead were my favorite though. Quite the accrobats they are and strong fighters.
Those "OFF' colored salmon made good fertilizer planted in the garden WAY out back.LOL.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 644 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters