The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hello Boys! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hello Boys!
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 04:11 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
crawfish aint fish its a crusty !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 07:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Something, sort of a blast from the past, in thinking of edible seafood.

Years ago, we used to do quite a bit of snorkeling and spearfishing, primarily in that area between Laguna, Emerald Bay, Crystal Cove and sometimes as far as Corona Del Mar. The prize catch would have to be Calico Bass, good eating and very hard to poke with my 4 band Arbolette, a very powerful speargun.

But, the best eating was the black abalone, which are fairly small, compared to the reds and pinks found in colder waters up the coast. We would tenderize them and form into hamburger size patties and deep fry. You can't compare abalone to stuff like scallops or oysters, which I don't even eat. It's more like tiger prawns, stuffed with crab meat.

As I understand it, most of my old stomping grounds has been converted into a marine sanctuary, but don't quote me on that, but I believe that's the case. Kind of a shame, I guess? After all, who the hell, except strong young men would venture into the deep and actually harvest the abundance....time for Liberals to put a stop to this kind of fun!

Anyway, if you happen to see deep fried abalone steaks on a menu in some little joint along the coast, I recommend it! You need a cocktail sauce like for shrimp.

That's something that has changed in southern California. At one time, it was common to see abalone shells scattered in a garden, in the older parts of town. I can't tell you the last time I saw this? Even one?

take care, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 08:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What I think of those tiger trout, resemblance to their parentage. I never ate brook trout, but in appearance, they, (edit: tigers) resemble a Brown, all the way, forgetting the color, just the shape, the cut of the jib, so to speak. To me, a brown trout is a hell of a prize, if you are lucky enough to snag one.

LB

[ November 17, 2020, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 09:01 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tasted a fresh water fish that can compare with good ocean fish. I'll take rock fish, sword fish, snapper, halibut, and mahi mahi, along with shrimp, prawn, lobster, and crab over the best fresh water fish any day. However if a guy is going to try and eat trout, I like tiger trout the best, then brown, followed by brook trout. A lot of people say rainbow trout has an earthy taste. Let me translate that for everyone. Earthy is code for it tastes like dirt! [Big Grin]
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but how about the orange flesh Lake Crowley rainbow that looks like a steelhead?

edit: but I totally agree about salt water fish!

[ November 17, 2020, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 10:16 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know. I've never fished Crowley, but as a rule rainbows with orange flesh have a high content of freshwater shrimp in their diet. Folks say they taste better than the white/lighter colored meat a lot of rainbows have. I have had both light and dark orange meat rainbows. I don't like either, but the dark orange is slightly better. Then again that's not saying much as both taste like dirt to me.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2020 04:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
that's very interesting about a diet of shrimp contributes to the orange flesh. As far as the taste of mud, I'd have to go back to my childhood except I do remember marching at Fort Ord with the powdered dust that should have killed us. I would be hacking it up all though dinner chow. I'm positive that these days, somebody would call their congressman on their cellphone and they would restrict those forced marches to pavement. Meaning that the present bunch is coddled and of course, the girls are considered and I probably wouldn't recognize none of it, today.

But yeah, I guess I could remember how mud tastes, if I think about it long enough.

HOWEVER. For me, I could almost not be aware of the taste as I inspect every morsel for all those damned little bones! For me, it's scary eating Rainbow trout. I've seen a few detailed instructions on how to fillet a fish that eliminates bones. For Rainbow's, I'm not impressed, or convinced. Have bread handy.

LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters