The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Did it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did it
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2020 06:59 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, finally got the new email and login straightened out. Thought I was lost forever and gone! [Big Grin]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1100 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2020 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I did wonder, a little? Glad you solved the problem.
Huntmasters people might be world beaters in many categories, but computer knowledgeable ain't one of them. And, I don't give a shit, either. I see cute little Asian kids being pushed around in the shopping cart and playing with their smart phone. But not like my kid might have done, with a hammer, these kids seem to know what they are doing.

All in all, does it mean that they are raising smarter kids than 50 years ago? They all need that calculator app to add numbers, forget about doing it in their head.

We would play that game where you throw a ball over the roof of the house and then run around whichever side and throw the ball and tag somebody. And, I forget the point of the game, now that I mention it, but we would stay out late under the streetlight and just find stuff to do and unbelievably, no cell phone, in fact when I was pretty young some people still had party lines, where you had to count the rings, to answer the call if it was for your house. A real status symbol was a "private line" which could cost as much as $7 more!

Another popular activity was roaming around the neighborhood with BB guns when we were grown up. Before that we had rubber band guns fashioned out of a couple pieces of wood and a clothes pin. The rubber bands were cut from inner tubes, in strips and stretched from the tip and over the edge and the other end clamped in the Hi Tech spring loaded clothes pin. You just squeezed the side that wasn't screwed to the frame and put neighbor kids eyes out with the swiftly launched rubber strap. I can hear the Peanut Gallery: "how quaint!"

And then there were MARBLES! I had an heirloom leather marble bag that actually did belong to my dad and a few genuine agates, a very prized possession. We had the latest hi tech "cat eyes" and purees, and laggers and shooters. We played "chase" and "Pot". Chase was shooting at the others guys marble and winning it if you hit it, which could be easy or drawn out. In POT, you put an agreed amount of marbles in a dug hole and went back behind a line and the object was to get your shooter in the pot first, thereby winning the contents, and there might be 2-3- or maybe 4 players, so you could make a killing, if your aim was good.

The other game involved scratching a large circle in the dirt and everybody dropping an agreed amount of marbles in the approximate center of the circle. You had to shoot from the edge of the circle and knock those center marbles out of the ring, whichever ones made it outside were yours. you had to "shoot these shooters by springing them out of between your index and your thumb, at high velocity, with the same motion as you might flip a nickel. Only sissies would throw marbles, in fact, I don't think it was allowed?

Can you imagine such simple games to keep us entertained? If you think that's primitive, guess what the girls were doing? Ever heard of "Paper Dolls"? You carefully cut these clothes with tabs and dressed your dolls with different clothes. It was important that you didn't accidentally cut off the tabs that held the clothes on the paper dolls because then you might have to scotch tape them on. What was the actual point of paper dolls? Looking back, it seems kinds pathetic, when you think about it. If you are thinking, whoa, wait a minute, why did they do this? I'll never figure out how or why it caught on, but it kinda did.

Wow, tripping down memory lane again. Must of warped my little brain? I can still go for hours not caring where my cell phone is. Sorry!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31269 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2020 09:18 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We played Kick the Can at night with boundary limits.
Red Rover. And such. Or stick horses and cowboys and Indians or outlaws.
Growing up from age 7 on I had a horse or two or three. I didn't need to be entertained.
I only have a flip phone for my cell usage and I won't turn on the internet on it. Can't read the screen any way. LOL

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2020 03:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Was recently recounting to my adult kids the things we did for fun. One was our cannons. Remember when soda came in steel cans? We would assemble four of them in such a way that they formed a tube. A tennis ball fit perfectly. We used dad's lighter fluid as our propellant because every dad smoked something and most had zippos.

At first, we'd just hold the tube. Then we got the idea of attaching training wheels and damn! It's cannon! You could send a tennis ball half a block with that thing. My dad and the neighborhood dads thought it was an ingenious invention and a good way to spend our time, until we built two cannons to take our neighborhood "wars" to an entirely new level. Things got canceled when we discovered you cold soak the ball with fluid before dumping it down the tube, thus sending flaming balls of fire over the street and into the neighbor's yard. Yeah, they quickly determined that lighting the whole 'hood afire wasn't such a great idea. LOL We sure had fun playing outdoors. Kids today don't know fun.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2020 04:06 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHH memory lane. I do seem to remember all the good times only. Party lines on the telephone, the marbles. BBguns and 22's.
I still don't own a telephone. You can phone the wifey nice but not me.
True story, I had a falling out with Ma Bell a million years ago and told her to get her phone out of the house and I never got another one until my youngest daughter was 16 and I got one for her.
I still have no use for them and they never worked where I was hunting in Nevada anyways.

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2020 04:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm? You seem pretty sure of that, Walt?

edit: but, you are right, probably the middle of Nye county you still can't get service? I mean, what for? Who's there? And, who ever is there doesn't have a use for a phone anyway. Who are they going to call? Little Caesars take out?

[ November 22, 2020, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 04:20 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, I remember those cannons. Friend figured out to use post hole pounders and to turn the oxygen on from the cutting torch and put some in and touch it off.

Also use foam cut Gain cloths washing soap in the bottom of one cup put a second cup on top put some gas in it and run!

I was never brave enough for the oxygen stunt. Don't think I even did the Gain/gas thing either.

Just way too busy riding horses.

--------------------

NVWalt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 04:22 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
As an example. The wife bought me one of those Trac phones or whatever they are that has x amount of hours or calls or whatever on it because I spent so much time alone out there hunting and she had little faith in my ability to take care of myself. Well I was hunting above Copper Flat and could see our building some miles away down in beautiful, cough,cough, Ruth. So I tried to call her. No signal no nothing and you could see line of sight to the building.
Didn't seem to matter where you were ,if you got anywhere, not far, from any major hwy, another laugh there, your phone didn't get a signal.
And no I really didn't have a phone in our house until my daughter turned 16.

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 05:01 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My specialty was bazookas I wont go into details
As I have a friend that lost a hand trying to copy my design I was able to put a 2.5 inch hole in my
mothers garage door from about 200 +- yards. we were animals and had a blast every day stayed out doors till the street lights came on. I have not had a landline phone for twenty years jobs and my own businesses dictated that I have a cell. I only have one now to be available to my bride should she need me. I like the idea of horses best, I had access but never owned one they were some of the best days ever riding a horse or mule . mule equals a four legged sofa horse equals a sore ass! but always a good day either way!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 23, 2020 08:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt, I do not think people really understand the solitude of THE LONELIEST HIGHWAY IN AMERICA? Especially 40-50 years ago. It's changing before our eyes.

I wonder if they can appreciate that all those scenic TV commercials of New Cars and Old Dominion Trucks driving down a lonely highway surrounded by wide open wilderness are all filmed on U.S. 50.

El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 09:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking hard on getting into horses again.
This elk hunting is a killer on us older folk.
The thought of hiking in a mile or so to find elk then killing it and then the terrible hike out with meat on the back.
But everyone seems to think they have a blooded horse that has a price tag that makes me choke.
So still hiking grumbling about everything.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 01:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here I am, pondering a 450 mile road trip with Tillie the Blue Tick, and remembering all those considerations about traveling with a dog. $75 worth of leads and harnesses for a front seat seat belt, the food, the water, the water jugs, the food bowls, the protecting the leather seats and wondering how to keep her from ripping the door panels, nosing all the glass she can possibly reach.

And now you bring up horses? There's an animal that wants to kill ya and can do it! Lots of nostalgia involved, of course, I hear ya on that.Some people prefer mules and some others hate mules especially. Then there's the care and feeding and you will especially worry about them if it turns really cold.

I guess it's different if you own a horse that you know every little quirk rather than learning those things about Mr Rent-a-Nag.

The first thing is you must be a horse person or it may not be all sunshine and lollypops. Myself, I still have a bad back from being kicked by what I thought was a trustworthy animal. I should have fucking killed him and probably would have, if he didn't belong to a girlfriend.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 01:28 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
My first horse wasn't Trigger but he was close. My second horse became my best. But I rode all the time. The horses were sell seasoned. These pasture poodles now a days actually would scare me to just go climb on and take them out of the pasture.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 04:18 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Something about a horse for sure. Love-Hate relationship ? Dunno.

Nothing like a good one though.I'm happy with my set-up ,help my neighbor and ride here and there working cattle.

A cow horse and hunting horse can be different depending ? I like a good trail horse, but working cows is different. When a calve squirts loose and you have to go run it down is different.

I think I mentioned that I will probably take riding lessons this winter just for that. I have difficulty staying in the saddle when you kick the spurs and go after 'em !! Haven't fell off yet..Lol

[ November 23, 2020, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2020 05:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Team roping used to be a big deal over 4th of July up at Mormon Lake, quite a bit of money changing hands. I haven't been up there in years, ever since my cousin got divorced and he got the cabin.

But, that's a really specialized skill for a horse, (and rider, of course) and I didn't notice that they were good on both ends. I noticed the quarter horses they were using were very well bred and obviously expensive.

LB

if the party slowed down, it was probably due to the Mormon Lake Lodge burning down, twice! Used to be fun, good bands, decent food.

[ November 23, 2020, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2020 06:28 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day we had lots of fun with M-80s. They could really blow shit up. There was this telephone booth with a flip down coin return that I'm not going to talk about. But I do remember a lot of coins lying on the ground for some reason.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 401 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2020 07:37 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
M- 80's down the toilet at a certain high school evokes some memories !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2020 08:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And who can forget fishing with M-80s ????

Amazing that we survived our youth !!! [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7482 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted November 25, 2020 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Our's were cherry bombs inserted in carp. They came from far away South Dakota. This was in Minneapolis.
And that area of that city has changed. I saw the Chicago-Lake Realty and my dad sold real estate from that office. This used to be a very decent neighborhood, now taxpayers and insurance will rebuild a little. This will punish the residents for many years, just like "south Central watts". They have never rebuilt. Where they once has regular grocery stores and furniture stores, new and used, just like most places. When they burned and looted, and this was what was it, 3-+ years ago? Now all you have are fast food restaurants, primarily fried chicken, no joke- everywhere. And, chiseler "convenience" stores, selling chips and Gatorade and candy at exorbitant prices. If there is anything resembling meat or other staples, it's Slim Jims and BBQ potato chips. This is where they slice a 12 pack of beer in half and sell it for whatever they can get. At the counter, you might see cigarettes sold by the each, in a tray.

Oh, and the whole place is chicken wire and plywood and the cash register is elevated so they can keep an eye on the clientele. And the watchful eyes are
of some immigrant with a juicy government loan and they must be doing OKAY! They sell stuff in small sizes that you never seen before, coffee, peanut butter and crackers and the price is what you would expect to pay for the large sizes. But, what do they care? They buy this shit with a "EBT" card? FREE MONEY. I think that's what it is from the county, and it's actually the Food Stamp program, but they don't stigmatize the folks with food stamps anymore. It looks like the same sort of Debit or credit card that everybody else uses.

Anyway, that's what they have along all the major streets, with billboards advertising malt liquor I am unfamiliar with and special kinds of cosmetics. It definitely looks a bit third world. Not a legit supermarket or Walmart for miles, and they do have busses because lots of them do not have personal transportation.

Why all this? Because insurance companies are not stupid and they know that the next court decision that they don't like will trigger another looting spree. What stores there are do not have any glass windows.

When I questioned the proprietor about the altered 12 packs, he just said, "so go somewhere else". Which I did. I guess they have to be compensated for the possibility of having a gun shoved up their nose? Although I think shoplifting is a refined art in the ghetto.

And, in my old neighborhood of south Minneapolis, the city of lakes, this is what to expect. And, the houses here, close to golf courses where I used to earn my walking around money, maybe some will become slums like further toward the downtown area. But hey, it was all worth it for some cool tennis shoes and some electronic shit. I just can't imagine that neighborhood as it is today, I mean it was a nice area, solid middle to upper middleclass.

LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2020 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny story

We drove to TJ, in my dad's Renault and bought a gross of cherry bombs. We also bought some booze but when it was time to leave, we thought we better hide the fireworks so we stopped right at the big traffic circle, I think they call it a gradiola, or something. Got out and stuck the box under the front end and good to go.

The thing is, in full view of everybody, I bet there were phone calls to border Patrol before we had even drove away. Even before we got to the front of the line we were motioned to a side area and a team came out and pulled that car apart, GULP!

they fined us about twenty bucks and impounded the vehicle, We didn't have twenty bucks so we tried to hustle what we had which wasn't much. Some guy gave us a couple dollars to top it off and they released us with no gas and no money. That was a nervous trip!

I forgot. WE were free to walk back and forth across the border but somebody inquired about my age and since it was 17, my buddy was legal to cross, but I wasn't. So they called my dad....He said things, while talking to the sheriff's people like, can't you lend them the money and I'll send it to you? Sure! So, it was Dick that was hustling across the border while I was cooling my heels at the sub-station. For several hours, then Dick paid the fine and they released the car and he picked me up on the other side.

I think my dad was a little amused, I didn't get in a lot of trouble over it, but what strikes me is our stupidity in stashing a box under the car in full view of probably hundreds of people and thinking that nobody was paying attention. They get a percentage of fines from BP so I have no doubt that there was more than a dozen tips complete with description and license plate! Were we stupid or what? We didn't even do the usual of buying pussy and or drugs, just goofing off for the day and they confiscated the liquor because we were under age.

Mi VIDA LOCA! sure applies to me, a wonder I survived my teens.

LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters