The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Deer hunting Kansas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deer hunting Kansas?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2020 03:58 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious what all is Kansas deer hunting is like.
How many does are allowed to be harvested and so forth?
Better to get an outfitter or try on your own?

I'm just as bad hunting the midwest as a easterner is hunting the west.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2020 06:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a buddy, known him since grade school, his family was originally from Kansas but lived in southern California for at least 40 years and then, his parents moved back there and bought an ice plant. Anyway, they all came out here a few years ago for a reunion and we ate at a nice place in Montclair. The subject of hunting came up and while they have and can prove that they have some really nice whitetails in that state, (at the time, and this might have been 8-10 years ago) it was virtually impossible for non residents to get a big game tag for deer but bird hunting was entirely different.

That's it, all I know? Maybe they welcome out of staters, these days? But besides that, as you might expect, you have to know a land owner, because those big bucks are on farms and not open public land.

This is why, in spite of many negative things where I am, we still have a lot of National Forest and BLM land where access is pretty good. AZ has a lot of what they call "state trust land" and the only requirement is that you buy a non resident hunting license, which gives you access privileges.

Then, there is Texas. I'm not even sure if there is any public land, at all. Every turn off you are immediately confronted with a big gate. Hunting leases are very popular as a way to gain access, otherwise, (at least it seems to me) you can't hardly step off the road and you will be trespassing.

My point is, access just about everywhere is getting more restrictive every day. Plan ahead!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2020 09:37 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We're not into big bucks. Was thinking more along the lines of management does and bucks. I want the meat over the bragging rights.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2020 11:43 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Texas is 97 percent private. Not a whole lot of public land to hunt.. Sadly it's for the most part pay to play. Either outfitter, lease hunting, or knowing a land owner is the best route. But up the the Panhandle there is the Canadian river north of Amarillo, lake meredith, or the prairie dog town fork of the red river are public. Texas also leases land for owners for walk on only hunting. These leases are more for upland birds and water fowl. You will need the APH endorsement to hunt theses units. -tex
Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2020 11:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you could cruise the Interstate 10 in Texas and pick up whitetail roadkill. It's amazing, they hop the high fences and graze the center median. In some places it seems like they are more numerous than rabbits? If you are looking for meat, there seems to be plenty of it. I wonder if there's some law against it? Just an idea <shrug>

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2020 05:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas does allow NR resident hunters in sizable numbers now. As to the different tags you can get as a NR, you would have to check the website for Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism as that is a moving target from year to year.

As was noted for TX, KS is also 97-98% privately owned, but leasing isn't as big a deal here as the deer outfitters pretty much got their tails stepped on over the years by bad apples. There are some decent ones out there so it might be worth looking into.

As also was stated, who needs a license when you can just troll I-70 and have a pretty good chance of tagging out. Between my wife and son, I have had three different cars totaled by deer. In one, my wife was on I-70 and hit an 8-point. She was one of 17 different deer hit in a 6 mile stretch of highway during an 11 minute period. That was on Nov. 17 which is the traditional worst day for deer car collisions in Kansas due to movement from rut.

Another note, firearms season for deer used to be a big deal. Since the state legalized crossbows, the bigger share of deer hunters are tagged out well before firearms season so hunting pressure and competition can be very light during the last week of Nov/ first week of Dec firearms season. For residents, you now have the option of buying an any deer tag that is good all season and can be filled using any legal means of take for that date. In other words, you can start with muzzleloader and if you don't score, switch to a bow or xbow when that season opens,. Again, if you haven't tagged out by the opener of firearms season, you can use a rifle, or still use your bow or blackpowder, and if after that ends you still haven't sealed the deal, you can go back to your bow until the end of Dec.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters