The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Killin'Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Killin'Time
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2020 09:32 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Been to fucking hot and humid out to do much tree cutting and clearing, so I took on a project to kill some time. Picked up a Poly 80 kit off one of my other forums. The kits, for those not up to speed, offer a pistol frame that is 80% complete, thus it does not fall under needing an FFL to go thru to purchase, there is no serial number etc.
Bought a custom slide and barrel on Ebay then some after market Vickers combat sights to replace the plastic ones on slide.
Drilled out the frame for pins, removed plastic flanges etc that are needed to be removed to complete, put it together, and I'll be damned if it doesn't run like a champ?
In the end, it only cost about two hundred bucks more to put together than if I would have just bought one off a guy on one of the forums.....logic ehh?
 -
 -

[ August 03, 2020, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1596 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2020 10:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A wise man once sayth;
"Money you enjoy wasting
Is never a waste of money".

Logic ??? ............. We don' need no stinkin' logic !!!!

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2020 03:13 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet Vic!! Sounds like a really project!!

I am equally impressed by the, "yip, yip, yahoooooo" underneath. Did the Professor make it?

[ August 03, 2020, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 03:38 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Schweet!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 11:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too! I'm pretty sure that's a friggin' Higgin's Howler purposely set under to prop up the hobby project! It's getting so they are a dime a dozen, anymore!

Seems there was a write up in one of the mags very recently about doing the exact same thing as "Mr. Too Much Time On His Hands."

Never mind that first of all, I don't understand the logic of the 80% situation? And second, needing an untraceable non serial # firearm sort of escapes me? Unless I'm going to be the last dirty and dug in (literally) underground patriot.... and that type won't ever be granted bail.

Yeah, I just read the article, I think last month and already threw it away. They said the hardest part was lining up the roll pins and also said that you can get a factory slide for it, more or less drop in? And only $200 more than if you went out and bought one second hand, and it's always the original buyer that is traced and woke up in the middle of the night.

And, BTW, just what Victor needs, another gun!

And, I just had a thought. Considering that BassProShops is sold out; damn! maybe he's on to something?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 04, 2020, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31321 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 02:05 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely no ulterior motive in toying with the 80% ghost gun thing, I could give two shits if it has a serial number or not. My interest was only because the 80% frame kit was on the cheap on one of my forums, didn't realize the real money came into play with the custom slide, custom spiral fluted match barrel, custom sights, tuned trigger kits etc.
There's a sucker born every day so they say?

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 03:12 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
With the pre-election panic on guns N ammo, I doubt you can find a 80% kit for sale now, the places I just checked are out of stock.
I use Ammoseek web site to get my ammunition from, and 9mm stuff that I bought for 13 cents a round a month ago, is now 50 cents a round and higher, crazy shit this panic buying causes.
I can only hope when Trump gets re-elected and BLM fizzles out, prices and availability goes back to normal.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 03:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, 'splain me. I know you got two Dillons, and one must be dedicated to 9mm x 19?

So why would you be buying @ 13 cents a round? Seems like you could load at least 1,000 rounds per pound of powder and how much are small pistol primers per 5,000? I have not priced 9mm bullets, what do you use, 124 or 115 or what? I'm thinking that you can crank them out for maybe a little over half of 13 cents a round? Check my math?

Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 04:30 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
About .15 cents a round not counting brass to reload, and with the hoarding, some components can be hard to find. Was always cheaper to buy 9mm in bulk online, sent right to the house, tucked in the closet.
I don't shoot 9mm much, but have a few pistols chambered for it, so I don't piss with loading the stuff.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 05:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding? Well, shows you how much I know? In fact I have not reloaded any 9mm Lugar yet? And, I agree, it's cheaper than shit. Around here, the last I bought were just under ten bucks a box for 50.

What I have been doing for YEARS, is saving all the 45ACP I can find, which can be about half of what I shoot. Then I save them until I have at least 700, then I like to load with the 200 grain Sierra. So, if that means I bought 14 boxes of factory fodder, eventually I get enough brass to bother with.

I got that Shield in 40S&W 3-4 years ago and then about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago, I bought a Springfield Arsenal XD9 and haven't shot it enough to build up a supply of brass yet. But when I do, I will tool up for a performance load. I have no idea what it will be, but @ ten bucks for 50 rounds, I take that back, the last 4 boxes I bought were 9 bucks per box- Herter's. Anyway, it would be for at least a year that I break down and get a set of dies....and this is the slow tedious way, no Dillon for this kid. Nothing against Dillon, I just don't shoot that volume to justify the purchase.

But if you are getting .13X50= $6.50 per hundred plus whatever your shipping is, I don't know? Thanks to the assholes in Sacramento, I can't mail order ammunition from out of state, so I guess I could realize a small savings by handloading? (if my time was worth nothing, which it is) and $9 a box at BassProShops is 18 cents per round, not counting sales tax.

No matter. I have never been motivated to handload for the purpose of saving money. Near as I can tell, it can't be done? Factor in all your gear and you can't make it pay. Well, yes you can, judging by what the factories are charging for their top of the line custom stuff; rifle cartridges. But pistol shooting equals VOLUME! so if you are a serious high volume handgun shooter, potentially, there could be a saving? Not when considering Victor's numbers? Oh well, like I said, I've never tried to save money by handloading, for well over 50 years. I started loading for 270Winchester with a Lee Loader and a scoop. Those were the days!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: back in the day, you could buy BC2 or 4831 in a paper bag for less than 2 bucks a pound.
edit: I wanted to mention how pleasantly surprised I was in shooting that XD9. It shoots great and is very comfortable. It doesn't beat me to death like the 40 S&W does.

[ August 04, 2020, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 07:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheapest on Ammoseek now is .45 cents a round, with what you would call "defensive" ammo running around .80 a round......getting crazy.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2020 09:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t think I need any that bad right now, and 45 cents is for sure crazy! I’m not sure, but I think I might have 300/400 rounds of the cheapest shit foreign made 9mm Ball? Good enough for right now.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

edit: plus a couple hundred white box Winchester

edit: DID YOU SAY 80 CENTS A ROUND? Who the fuck would pay that for "defensive" class 9mm? Damn, people sure get crazy from wearing that friggin' mask all day long! That's beyond hysteria. Maybe if it was that Black Eagle Claw cop killer stuff, but NO!

[ August 05, 2020, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters