The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Very First

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very First
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 03:44 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
one of the season. A very bright Rufus male humming bird came into the feeder last night.
He didn't stay long and he was wild. But glad to know they do and will come to feeders up here.

Went by a house yesterday morning and I bet she had 6 or more of the 2 cup size feeder hung out along her porch.

Since we don't have quail up here and no cottontails on the place nice to have something new to watch. I will miss the lookout for not being able to watch the hummingbirds.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 04:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Last season I must have had sixty pair easy this year more like six or eight pair. maybe antifa got on the way up or they are at KOKO's house.
But my cottontails abound from tea cup size to full grown. They are fun to watch and they have no fear of me I can walk outside and they don't scatter. Wish i could post pics.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 04:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing little creatures.

Down this way, bees taking over the feeders are a constant problem. Regular feeders are terrible and the regular 'bee proof' feeders only slightly less so.
The only feeders we've found that attract few bees are flat ones shaped like a plate.

A friend of mine put a trail camera on a feeder and got some really cool photos of bats getting a sip at night.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 07:11 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
we only get the little black and white bees sometimes called sweat bees and only a few ! How are you humming bird numbers down there ! As I said mine are much down from normal !

[ June 27, 2020, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 08:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a lot but pretty normal for this time of year. Should start seeing more in a few months. We're somewhat rural here and about every fourth or fifth house has a feeder so we don't get the concentrations that you do up in the wilderness.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't even put them out this year.

edit: but question: How do you tell a Rufus from an Allen's?

edit: or ANY Female? Well, there is a white dot next to the eye on some.

[ June 27, 2020, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 09:57 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Rufus males have the hologram bright orange/red throat.
We get the Black chins and a couple others I think.
Will need to get the bird book out again.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 10:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The two are virtually identical until you look at the rump, which is green on Allen's and rusty orange on the Rufus.

You can consider the Black throat to be the western equivalent of the Ruby throated, which is (I think?) the only hummingbird east of the Mississippi.

Can you imagine a bird that size flying all the way across the Gulf of Mexico twice a year to winter in southern Mexico? Non Stop!

Of states, I'm pretty sure that Arizona has the most varieties of hummingbirds. In California, at Lake Henshaw, I think they have a huge amount of Cottonwoods and in summer, the various hummingbirds are so thick you have to watch your step! Amazing concentration, and many different species.

The only bird that can fly backwards is? ko ko? Are you sleeping in class again?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2020 02:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The two birds that can fly backwards are the humming bird and the political shitbird.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2020 11:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to ask you to go easy on the green grinning emoticons. They ain't free no more!

Thank you for your service! El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2020 03:00 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the little buggers better put their woolies on the next couple of days.
Weather peeps saying snow around 7400-7500 foot next couple of days.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2020 03:49 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
43* this morning and rain all night.
Had one little female come in last night in the rain.
We're in a winter snow advisory today. [Confused]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2020 04:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not supposed to get over 100* today !! [Big Grin]
Can't go outside, though, without smelling or seeing smoke from fires. [Eek!]

Wind's not blowing .............yet. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(It's OK El Bee, I got these on eBay [Razz] )

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted June 29, 2020 07:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Cross the street until it passes!

Why do I have to 'splain stuff like this, should be almost automatic to most normal folk? [Big Grin]

(less is more, see how that works?)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2020 07:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
PS!

Yesterday, in neighbors yard, unless I was hallucinating? I saw a bird, looked like a sparrow of some sort, what the Birdwatchers call: "LBJ"
which is "Little Brown Job"

But anyway, this friggin' bird was hovering like one of those raptors, (like a Kite, maybe?) putting it in neutral, in the field before they pounce on a mouse. I'd think hummingbird but it was twice the size, so that don't explain it? Not exactly the same as flying backwards, but kinda hard to do, I think?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters