The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Area set a record

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Area set a record
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2020 03:49 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
TV heads saying our area set a 24 hour record for precipitation.
1 inch of rain. We only recorded .57 and we're not that far from the airport. All I know we had a lake out front of our garage yesterday morning. Water running everywhere.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2020 04:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the monsoons come soon and help with theses fires !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2020 06:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Smoke everywhere down here.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7590 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2020 01:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've had close relatives in Arizona since the mid fifties and since this was my dad's brother's family, we would spend many holidays over there. Outings to the Ramada's around Phoenix Valley, Camelback, south Mountain and always up to Mormon Lake and Pine Top.

But, I never heard the word "monsoon" back then, only the past 20-25 years or so, but to me, that's kinda recent. My uncle Larry worked at Motorola for about 100 years, never knew quite what he did there but he gave me a top of the line 8 track tape deck and I called a hell of a lot of predators with it. Still have it! It was the first portable game caller that I know of? An 8 track, you had to modify it a little bit, find the strip that changed track and cut it out and splice the tape back together. They alway wound up tight and we would take them apart and sorta unwind them.

Some of you people might be purists on sound, and I know those eight track tapes weren't the best quality and the speakers we used weren't great but I bet I called a hell of a lot more coyotes than you ever did with your fancy Foxpro. Me too. I called a hell of a lot more predators, and killed a hell of a lot more predators way before anybody ever heard of Foxpro and their flashlight caller. This was before the Johnny Stewart too.

Back in those days, there wasn't anybody else calling! WE had 4 western states to ourselves. None of the locals even knew they had a resource. There were some guys calling in Texas but that's about it. Otherwise, everybody hunting coyotes, I pretty much knew them and they belonged to some chapter of the CSVCA.

Those were the days, my friend!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 03:58 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the origin of the monsoon term but the local weather idiots tried to use Haboob for dust storm did not go over well ! Leonard I've heard real rabbits that did not sound so good ! back in the day I think it was noise that brought them in .

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 04:35 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking out loud;
We know that coyotes can hear stuff in ranges that we can't. So, is it possible that electronic callers have some kind of 'white noise' at a level we can't hear but warns today's coyote off ???
Doesn't seem likely that a hung up coyote would have heard all of the recorded 1200 + rabbit in distress sounds available but with a FoxPro under every Xmas tree may have heard (at high volume) recording noise.

Mayhap the day (or night) will come when we all go back to mouth calls for the 'pure' sound ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7590 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 04:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey KOKO geet out the BBQ its the eeekweeeknocks !
I know I Know its Sunday but I will be in church and unable to post !

[ June 19, 2020, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 06:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually .............. It's the Solstice this Sat. You get high marks though for knowing something's going on.

So, as long as you are thinking BBQ ............

Get some peach halves. Fresh is good, canned will work.
Put 'em in in a gal. zip-lock bag and pour in a jar of honey. Add Alspice, Nutmeg, and / or Clove and squish it around a bit.
Take the halves out with tongs and put 'em on the grill. Don't over-cook but get some grill lines & smoke them up good. (Keep an eye out for Yellow Jackets.)
Put a couple of the halves in a bowl and add a dollop of Strawberry Preserve where the pits were. Put two scoops of Haggen Das Vanilla ice cream along side and drizzel some honey over everything. A splash of Peach Brandy too if you're so inclined.

Enjoy. [Smile]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 06:51 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah soulstuce !LOL Do you dance naked in the yard?
Asking for your neighbor !

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 07:37 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you natives remember when they used the term "chubasco " for rain season in July/august in Arizona, only lasted a few years as I remember?
Posts: 1633 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 08:32 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I have trouble remembering last week. [Confused]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 08:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ko ko, I have to admit, that recipe sounds decadent and delicious! But, I'm a peach nut all the way, I'm pretty sure it's my favorite fruit. Strawberry is so ordinary! The trend around these parts is to breed strawberries so they are HUGE! Bigger than a plum, close to tennis ball size. And, they taste like, um? bland is a polite word, but nothing like the sweet berries grown up in coastal Oregon, which are dainty, in comparison, maybe the size of a bing cherry? I just don't understand the trend to these huge tasteless strawberries? I take that back, they have a taste-sour!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: remembering last week? Fuck that! I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday! Sometimes I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

[ June 19, 2020, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2020 03:27 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
EW. We just had a thunder shower that lasted an hour or little more and when I checked the rain gauge it read 7/8 of an inch. Sunshiney out as I type this. Not like I was used to in Nevada.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 644 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2020 03:52 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
NVWalt, talked with a neighbor and she said for the 18 years they've been here they had never seen it rain like it did the other day.
Old timers were saying they haven't seen a rain like this in over 40 years. With a double rain shadow this is a very dry valley. Like 6" of rain a year. Glad to get it would like more.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2020 06:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm still, (I guess "pondering" is a correct word) why Walt would move from one of the most remote locations in the lower 48 and move to, (of all places) Tennessee? Never been there, I'm sure it's beautiful?

Everybody else wants to become.... what's that deal where you get off the grid? Man, I could handle clean air, walking distance to the Continental Divide, peace and quiet, clean air, and about a million acres to look at, with the Loneliest Highway in America, (U.S. 50) So, our boy packs it in and moves to the only state that looks like Kentucky, if you squint your eyes just right.

I've been pondering, prob. never finger it out, keeps me up at night!

Just kidding; but you got some 'splainin' to do, NVWalt.

Just kidding!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2020 09:02 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Well... The deal was with my daughter and I told her I would move if she found a place that was warmer in the winter. I just can't handle sub zero cold anymore after I had my heart all replumbed.
Anyways for a couple hundred thou she got us 20 acres with 2 houses with garages outbuildings etc with a year round creek and our own knob(wooded mountain ? hill) So I sorta was committed. BUT the area we live in now is 97% white and very conservative with no income tax and the china-mart is 15 miles away, not 3 1/2-4 hours away. So the wifeynice is happy.
It has taken a couple years to get climatized to the humidity during the summer but I can handle that now.L Kinda like getting used to Lost Wages in Nevada. Lots of foxes, coyotes and raccoons around here. I am constantly trapping coons and foxes around the chicken coup with some deer, turkeys and bears also , not to mention pigs, tons of morning doves and my bird life list has expanded a bit.
I truely do miss my wide open spaces and not being able to just jump on the quad and go calling anytime and anywhere but that was the trade off. So now you know.
When is the last time you saw only white landscapers? Totally differant here where I am at. Don't know about the rest of the state cause I got enough around here to keep me more than busy fishing etc. I've gotten to really like this country around here.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2020 04:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK thank you for the insight.

I have a very few places that really tug at my heartstrings. In no particular order, the Hawaiian Islands, (any) The Sonoran Desert, and last but not least; the freedom of northern Nevada, where you can shoot any Magnum you happen to have and nobody hears it, the serenity of the place. If you don't know it, it's hard to explain. I think Freedom, actually.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2020 05:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Never been to TN, but did spend a couple days in KY and I was impressed. Very beautiful country, especially when you learn the difference between a mountain and a hollow. Red soils, green grass. Rolling hills. Very picturesque. And that was in the winter!

Had to do some stuff at their capital building. Everyone was in a panic and fretting to leave for home because the forecast said snow. I asked the lady there if I should be concerned, and she looked at my paperwork and said, "I'm from Nebraska, you're from Kansas. These people are crazy in the snow. You'll be fine."

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted June 21, 2020 05:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That snow question sounds like it would apply to SoCal. Especially, there idiots don't know how to drive in the rain. They still cut people off and think, fuk 'em, make 'em hit the brakes! Same with visibility and they don't understand that turning on their headlights isn't so they can see better, it's so that others can see you better. Other than that, we are the best drivers in the world.

PS Phoenix drivers are rude. Oregon drivers are rude. Washington drivers are also rude....to California plates!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2020 03:18 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
That's because if your from Commifornia you are a disease to the free people of our nation and they don't want you around. Present company excepted. But that's only by me. Not the rest of the nation. Florida and New York plates get the same treatment here.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2020 11:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I get it. But what people don't understand is that there are millions of conservatives just like you in California and our voice is not often heard because the friggin' Liberals know what's good for us.

You know, Wyoming and North and South Dakota and a bunch of those less populated states seem to get a lot more respect than do the 40% of the 35million in California. When we do get fed up and move, we find out what they think of Liberal Californians. It's like the whole west coast is reliably Liberal, but inland people in all three states are fairly conservative. And, as I said, that's a hell of a lot of people to dislike because of a license plate.

Anyway, I know we deserve it. I should have got the hell out a long time ago. Peace, Bro!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2020 01:08 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya Leonard. My daughter is fed up with Nevada just because,you guessed it, it is all controlled by Lost Wages and Reno areas. And they have just become suburbs of California along with their Demonrat liberal ideas. They have no say whatsoever as far as politics go because of it.I bet you will be able to buy a pretty nice place there in White Pine county when she leaves to move here in another year.
And where I came from it is pretty conservative with nothing but a bunch of bukaroos, miners and prostitutes living there.I feel for you and the rest of the poor schmucks that have no say in that workers paradise

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2020 03:03 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The snow deal applies to Boise now. Half of So Cal moved in along with about every other state in the union. I was so bent out of shape if I had to go to work and there was any kind of weather to deal with. I didn't mind the weather it was the idiots behind the wheel that terrified me.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters