The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Fireplace (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fireplace
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2020 05:06 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Had the fireplace all clean and put up till next winter, runnin a fire this AM yesterday was colder than a well diggers ass could not do it again today !
It was 30 this morning and only 60 in the casa ! too cold for me !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 12 posted May 21, 2020 07:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They got this gas, butane or propane that is capable of heating several rooms, not just the one where the fireplace is.

For efficiency, it beats the hell out of a fireplace. You should look into it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31451 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2020 09:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one it was on the other side of the property Not makin that trip in the dark !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2020 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I new you'd have an excuse!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2020 02:32 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Last few days have a fire night and morning. Just enough at night to warm the house then let it go out and mornings the same way.
Sounds like by morning will need it. Suppose to snow over night but not stick. Hope we don't lose the power again.
The other morning at 0230 we were up and moving plants into the garage because a transformer blew and took our power out for 4 hours or so.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2020 04:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I go to bed the house is 82 I get up its in the low 60's ! It is very well insulated and retains is heating and cooling well I'm not getting this ! My petunias made it thru my calla
s are gorgeous my geranium's are toast !

[ May 22, 2020, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2020 07:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody will miss those stinky geraniums! I have one, in a clay pot that my son gave me 6 or 8 years ago. The damned thing just won't die, but I keep hoping! What anybody sees in geraniums is beyond me? Keep them pruned level with the ground and you might get lucky!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2020 04:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time for geraniums up here just wanted the color, would not try to cultivate them I got some unusual colors and thought I give em a try ! most are close to ground level now the weather seems to be going in my direction! 47 outside this morning !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2020 04:26 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I am growing is in pot up off the ground on tables or plant stands anything on the ground will be eaten ! Except my Iris nothing eats them !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2020 06:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a full house propane system with floor vents throughout the house cant stand the noise ! I like the wood stove it heats well and the heat lasts unlike propane.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2020 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to think that you have made a few improvements up there since I was there last? I assume you still have that canvas Quonset Hut? But now you speak in terms of "throughout the house"? What House?

Raised beds sound like the way to go with those resident rabbits under the house?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2020 09:54 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought and installed a manufactured home 17 ft. by 72 ft. sitting on engineered pads. I put in complete solar and a 2500 gal water tank have my own pump house just like white folks ! I been busy , built a 9x29 quilting room for my wifes 14 ft. Gammill
Weeze just fancy up here in the sticks! Have not done a garage yet that's next not bad for a 70 year old geezer !
Inspector told me the cleanest installation he had ever seen in Ash Fork not sure if that a commentary on Ash Fork or a compliment

[ May 23, 2020, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2020 01:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wouldn't know either, but I know what he meant! Codes are for the dudes down in the Valley.... right?

But, you sure did the smart thing. I hope the appraisers are kind on your property tax base improvements.

Like I said about my solar roof. You wouldn't believe what that did to my assessed evaluation!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: about how far down is the water table? Is a well feasible?

edit: how did you come up with 17X72?

[ May 23, 2020, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2020 03:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not come up with 17x 72 the mfgr. did it was as big as I cold get in a single wide don't want a double and the problems that come with that ! I am no geologist but have worked construction long enough to understand expansive soils .

How is the Faucchi flu treating everybody My life has changed not one bit except to stand in line at Costco!
Thanks Bill Gates !

[ May 24, 2020, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2020 05:58 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've still been burning a fire too, most mornings. Mostly just because my wife works from home and her office space is in the basement and we all know it's always chilly in the basement. She loves the fire box, and honestly I'm like Paul, I prefer the silent heat from the fire compared to listening to the heater running.
Denver did set a new high record last week. But it was a one day flash in the pan. Back to normal, well, below normal today. We do have a chance for rain finally. Probably won't be enough to pull us out of the drought that we're slumping into. Fingers crossed for an inch of the wet stuff today.
I ran into work yesterday afternoon and the amount of traffic on the road tells me that most people decided that this weekend was a good time to get out. It was the boat, RV, travel show. Not sure where they all were heading, but they were heading out.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 24, 2020 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, and appreciate a fire, and I do have a fireplace that I don't use because it needs cleaning afterwards. If the forced air makes noise upstairs, I don't hear it?

However, for all the intrinsic benefits of a fireplace, we have to admit, the heating efficiency sucks, ever with one of those blower gadgets, it's still warming basically one room.

And, I'm not knocking it. Except for hauling wood, maybe? You go up to the National forest and most of that dead wood has been harvested close to the road and around these parts, you better not be blazing trails. Then too, burning pine and cedar, everybody know the more expensive hard woods can be difficult without a log lighter. I just think a fireplace, while nice, has a few drawbacks.

And, lastly, in this state, they have outlawed fireplaces! How Oprah Winfree gets away with six of them, I don't know?

My brother who lives in God's Country, in Olympia has many "NO BURN DAYS"! Due to the inversion layer. That's specific to their romantic potbellied stoves and comfort fireplaces.
They got ya, coming and going!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2020 10:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Mesa and we had no a burn day that's when a I had fire in the back yard just a bad person fuk em!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 24, 2020 12:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks! Everybody here spends a lot of effort covering for your picadillos and you just let the cat out of the bag!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2020 02:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I know somebody who's picadillo is on the internet.
Not sure how I feel about that.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7578 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 24, 2020 04:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Play safe and deny knowing the kreep!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2020 04:22 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a huge difference between a fireplace and a wood stove fireplace all the heat goes up the chimney wood the heat stays in the room.
The heat that goes up the chimney heats thin wall pipe to radiate more heat. The EPA had a hand in the design surprisingly the are very efficient and smoke very little.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2020 04:24 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I almost feel like a communist I said something nice about the EPA! lol

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2020 06:18 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lucky in that I get free hardwood, other than my labor and chainsaw gas, from my families farm in KS. I never go back home without a trailer behind the pickup to get a load of the good stuff. Since there's always good wood laying around from mostly the rebuilding of fence lines that get over grown with trees, it makes it worth my while.
Was 34 degrees here last night. Lots of rain, 2.15" in the gauge this a.m., and even had a little snow as well. I didn't keep the fire going all night, but I did stoke it before bedtime.
With this rain, we might have some green yet this summer.
I live at elevation where we don't have, "wood burning restrictions". What we do have at times are "no outside burning" restrictions due to dry conditions. We have an outdoor fire pit but we only use it once, maybe twice a year, usually do smores when we have the fire.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted May 25, 2020 08:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you have the issue well covered!

edit: Yes Paul. I appreciate the difference and that's what I'm talking about. My traditional fireplace is not efficient, mostly decorative, comes in handy for hanging stockings at Christmas time.

Oh, and mine has my parent's Burl hanging over it. My wife put her foot down on a muledeer over the fireplace mantle!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 25, 2020, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2020 09:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Burl ???

[Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7578 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters