The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » New addition to the family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New addition to the family
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2020 04:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Won an eBay auction for a 48" Bear Magnum recurve at 60#. Can't wait to shoot a few with it.

Eat your heart out, Paul. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2020 05:11 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to its on the table ! just sitting here crying !

[ May 04, 2020, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2020 05:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you man that's quite the fucking deal!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 04, 2020 01:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, twenty-five bucks is a steal! Are ya gonna get it camo'ed?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2020 03:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A wee bit more coin than $25.

Not sure on the camo. I have a set of camo bow socks that I may put on it along with a retro 70s Bear bow quiver. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 06:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But, that's last year's technology? Who would pay more than $25 for some outdated, retro 50 year old bow? Have we forgotten how to make one, now a days? And why bother when you can get a state of the art compound with which you can hold a full draw all day long? What am I missing here? [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

PS you know I'm just poking at ya.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 09:25 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't shot a wheel bow in over a decade.
(Brief pause to jerk a telemarketer around [Razz] )
The part that you're missing is even in the Traditional Class there are some shit-hot high $$ set-ups.............. And there's nothing quite like outshooting somebody with a $1200 bow with a bow I got on eBay !!!

Kinda like it's not the expensive scattergun that makes the skeet champion...... it's the guy who knows the basics forward & backwards.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 11:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I see....

You realize, of course, that I'm just yanking your chain. I appreciate the craft involved.

Let me ask you, since you have not fired a wheel bow in a decade, did you just set all of them out at the curb on trash day? You didn't retain any, just for old time sake, did you?

There is a restaurant along the Interstate, might be Seligman or Williams, somewhere along there. Anyway, there is a distance from the cash register to the west wall that has a pair of Texas Longhorns, up high and there is an arrow right through the middle of the boss that was fired by a customer name of Howard something, famous archer from the 50's-60's. In recollection, it must have been a 40 yard, hell I don't know? But a historical document, a card either on the counter or the wall nearby, dated, etc.

As a certified bow wrangler, you should drop in or google it or find out what I'm talking about, and why the hell can't I think of the dude's last name? He was moderately famous, too.

Oh well, good hunting.
El Bee

edit: saved you the trouble

Howard Hill
Howard Hill (born Lemuel Howard Hill and later cited Howard H. Hill; November 13, 1899 – February 4, 1975) was an expert bowman who for over two decades, from the early 1930s into the 1950s, was often introduced or billed as "The World's Greatest Archer".

[ May 05, 2020, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 12:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The compound ended up under a workbench and at some point mice chewed thru the string and cables.

Howard Hill was (is) our mightiest hero and the standard that all other wanna-be archery heroes are judged by if for no other reason than he was the first to even consider doing some pretty outrageous stuff.

You can still find his videos on uTube.
Others to watch are Fred Bear and Ben Pearson.

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 05:55 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
my shoulders don't even like repeatedly pulling my custom 45# recurve, let alone 60.
Thankfully I can pick up the wheelie and be shooting darn good in just a few practice shots.

Good on ya for keeping your shoulders in shootin shape.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 06:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a process that didn't happen overnight. I'm now shooting 50 to 75 shots a day with the 60# Super Diablo.
Got a deal on a 70# Howatt Hunter and promptly found out that 10 pounds is too big of an increase in weight. I take it out about once a week just for yucks & giggles. May even get it back to my anchor point sometime this year.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2020 09:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins has or had a 100 lb bow. He’s a fitness nut. I drew the thing once. He seemed impressed but all I did was pull it back, made no attempt to hold it for any length of time.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2020 04:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins has also crucified 22 coyotes last time I spoke with him about it and that was easily 10 12 years ago !!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2020 08:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what he is up to, these days? I also don't know what you mean by 22 crucified coyotes? But, he's not much of an actual killer. He'd rather paintball them or shoot a hole through one ear. I don't know about that boy?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit Oh! are you saying he's full of it? The smartest thing he's done in the last 20 years was to divorce #4.

[ May 06, 2020, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2020 01:45 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A 100 pound bow is pretty awesome ............ IF it can be shot with good form.
Otherwise it's like missing something with a magnum cannon instead of hitting it with a 30-30.

22 coyotes with a bow is something that boggles the mind. Verrrrry hard to do.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2020 09:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh? I had no idea? I don’t think he ever mentioned that to me?

We had a guy in Covina Varmint Callers years ago name of Swede Swenson and he had most of his pins and they were specially marked with an orange moon behind the image of the howling coyote. A hell of a lot of people didn’t know what the orange moon meant, including me. All those animals were taken with archery tackle. Apparently, he didn’t use firearms at all? I have no idea about the numbers but it could have been quite a few. Just a guess but 30-40 bobcat fox and coyote, because each pin represented 4 gray fox, 3 bobcat and 5 coyotes. So those 3 pins would count for 8 animals. Anyway, forget it, it’s to hard to explain. The guy had a lot and I can’t imagine how difficult it may have been? Hell, one would be an accomplishment!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2020 04:54 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins is doing fine finally retired spent New Years with me three years back we had a hoot By crucified I mean he shot them in the melon !You look pretty crucified with a stick in your head !

[ May 07, 2020, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2020 05:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really hunt much anymore I like to call em in for others usually a new person they are fun to watch when something shows up , I have killed my share , Took out two nephews to call foxes the youngest got a double on his very first predator stand. His brother had the old AR click and nothing, gotta know what your doing when you chamber a machine gun . Took him out the next day and he got his first, he fell asleep while calling woke up to a fox right in front of him ! Things I will never forget !

[ May 07, 2020, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2020 06:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that "update". Good for him!

However, he is one of those people that have told me, variously, "I will never retire", or I will never be able to retire, or I don't ever want to retire.

I remember exactly, every time somebody tells me something like that. I think it's strange, or alien and in some cases, sad.

In his case, it was sad. But, if he did it successfully, I'd have to say it's because his fourth wife is no longer around to spend his hard earned money, and he is a hard worker, I'll say that for him.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2020 05:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The little guy arrived today !!!
It's no wonder that people sell bows that they're not happy with. It had the wrong length string, brace height was way off & the nock-set was about 1/2 inch too high. Needless to say ........ it shot a little 'rough'.
So...... made a new string and did some tuning tweeks & headed for the range.
Neat little bow & fun to shoot. [Cool]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2020 03:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO that's like buying a Chevy pick up with a six cylinder rambler motor and the rear end out of a jeep . Frankenstein bow glad you got it straightened out !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 8 posted May 09, 2020 06:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
or....the seller stripped useful stuff and replaced with some crap he found in the junk drawer? Wouldn't be the first time.

Hey, you probably stole it anyway and could it be worth twice what you paid for it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2020 04:18 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo, FIL had a bow made back in the day by Fred Bear. It's a
not a true long bow or a true recurve.
It has a 86lb pull at 23" (if that makes sense to you).

FIL in his day was quite the bowman. He shot mongoose in Hawaii during WWII. He was good at throwing knives and such. He was a cobbler. I guess the story is the Rangers would come in and hang out behind the shop shooting bows and throwing knives. They tried to talk the FIL into joining them. He said they'd leave for a while then slowly drift in and always a man or two short each time. He knew it wasn't a growing old position.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2020 05:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool !!............... Some of those early longbow / recurve hybrid bows could be beasts to shoot.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2020 08:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted a bow, when I was about 10 and the closest I came was that my dad bought a piece of hard oak that was longer than I was and he told me to carve my own. WTF?

But, OK. I tried, with a jackknife. I don't know how many of you have whittled oak? I've thought about it, and I don't believe my dad was mean, but what else could you call it? If you put your knee into it and pulled as far out as I could reach, I couldn't deflect it an inch, after two bowls of Wheaties! Wonder whatever happened to that jack handle? I do know it was still stacked in the corner of the garage when I left for college.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters