The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Surprise surprise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Surprise surprise
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2020 12:25 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Took the dog for a walk.
We walk down a dirt lane out behind the house.
Anyway we've had enough warm temps and the road angles to the south that a good part of the road down the center has melted out and I was able to walk down on dirt today. It felt good.

Weather peeps missed the weather again. The storm went south hammered Boise and left us alone. Got sunshine out now.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2020 01:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but don't you just LOVE the seasons? NOT!

ko ko got the right idea! Move to desert!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31489 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2020 02:36 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We probably should have but I like Idaho.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2020 02:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can sit out on my patio and admire the snow up on the mountain. Very pretty.
On the other hand, another week or so of this weather we're having in the desert and I'll be spotting the first rattlesnake of Spring.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2020 06:59 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be able to see snow into the first part of summer. [Big Grin]

We should have went to AZ. But they don't allow trapping on public lands with foot traps. Hauling cages around are a real pain.
I enjoy the desert in the winter only don't think the heat and I would get along anymore.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2020 05:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Ew
you can use footholds on unposted private land most of our land is in section's a checkerboard of private and public lots of trapping opportunity just gotta know where you are ! very little posted land.
I have cages as well and they are a r
oyal pain in the ass !

[ February 17, 2020, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 17, 2020 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How many coyotes do you get in those cages, Paul?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2020 10:06 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
LB maybe one or two YOY pups.

Selling the last of the cages here in a month or so.

I know you can trap private lands. It's all changed way too much and driving 2 vehicles with trailers down and back just isn't worth it anymore. One day may come down and do some calling and camping for a couple of weeks. Just to get out of the cold.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2020 07:45 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt we've had 8-9" of snow all winter. A fair amount of rain though.
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 17, 2020 10:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You better be taking good care of those critters, Goat Leader!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2020 05:05 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
EW let me know when you are comin thru northern AZ we can BBQ a dinner> Love to meet you and your fella !

[ February 18, 2020, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2020 08:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Or S.E. Arizona.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2020 04:15 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know when but will be sure to let all of you know. We always stayed over out of Wenden years ago. Now that is all changed and become Snowbird central. Tried trapping the Navajo once. Never again. So we need to see other parts now.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2020 08:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Trapping on the Navajo can be a bitch like anything else on the Navajo !
My cages are still this year too much time running mamma back and forth for chemo. I may set a few on my place I have a lot of bobcat and lion activity here ! Coyotes everywhere but they are very wary of cages I have never caught one but focus is bobcat two different creatures caught my dog once ! big idiot !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2020 09:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's friggin' hilarious; caught your dog! Bet she was glad to see you!

Like, just a while ago, I was cutting open the bag of kibble with a pair of scissors, and guess who stuck her nose in it? She yelped pretty good, but I don't see any blood?

She has also set off the rat traps in the garage. I have been having a roof rat problem since the weather got colder. You would not believeHow much it cost for a pest company to rodent proof the whole property! But, now, whoever's inside, they are going for the traps. So far as I know, they have caught 5, 2 in the garage, one in the upstairs attic and where else, I don't know? But they squeezed in where the AC stuff comes through the wall, upstairs, and in the sides of the garage door. But, everything is secure now.I was keeping some food in a pantry, in the garage. Resourceful little critters. You know, they don't look anything like sewer rats, except for the tail. Habits are completely different, as well. They eat cactus fruit, oranges, acorns, and I don't know what else? But there is plenty food available and I have found nesting areas in the Sago palms, but they say that they like under wood piles, stuff like that. The cats in the neighborhood don't seem interested, or maybe they are afraid? I know that they ignore the possums, and I do mean ignore, they won't even look at them walking by.

Roof rats are gypsies, they move around a lot. We had them years ago, and now they are back. We'll see about that!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 19, 2020, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2020 03:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
We have what they call pack rats actually wood rats they love to get under the hood of your car and build nests I have started my car and heard a thump only to open the hood to find a dead rat and a nest on my battery box ! Out here if you see a hood up it does not mean there is anything wrong with the car just keeping the wood rats away !

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2020 05:23 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
At the lookout it was nothing to put a giant rat trap on the engine.
Last couple of years other half's truck the mice kept getting into the bed and nesting in a box he'd set up for tools. Even found dead baby mice on the cabin air filter.
We'll see what happens up here. I know there is enough cats to kill everything that moves around here. So far the dog keeps them run off if he can see them.
He seen a cat last night across the fence and took off after it. Never seen a cat kick up snow like that one did. LOL

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2020 06:02 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My A c quit working in the FJ found a rats nest in the cabin filter box ! My wife does not understand when I say nothing in the traps that's a good thing I try to explain if we have nothing it means they aren't here !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2020 10:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, yes! Since I bought this Infiniti, I've had my Titan parked on the side. The battery went dead and I lifted the hood. Rats had built up a small supply of figs right on top of the motor! That was news to me?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: of course, I know all about Pack rats, from tramping around in the mountains and deserts. Never thought about it, but these roof rats must be closely related? I mean, they aren't noble creatures, but they aren't disgusting sewer rats, either.

[ February 20, 2020, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2020 04:16 PM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pass on rattlesnakes.

I'm as fond of them as I am of gators.

Don't like either. At all. No, seriously. I don't.

Although reading that does remind me a bit of when I read Ed Abbey's 'Desert Solitaire' where he had a rattlesnake nearby and removed it away from his trailer but it came back, so he said enough is enough and sent it to Valhalla.

[ February 21, 2020, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: DEL GUE ]

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2020 04:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be critical of a man that tries to reason with a rattler, but what he should have done is remove the attraction, like does he have a nest of bunnies living under the house. He's a mite too forgiving, for this kid. Rattle snakes don't get a second chance, I have zero patience. Now, go ahead, you liberal fellas out there, call me phobic. No, I'm not afraid of them, but I have no sympathy for their perverted lifestyle! And, that goes for rattlers, too!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2020 01:37 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Just kill em we have no shortage !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2020 01:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have fat little bunny's living under my home and under the quilting room I built for my wife ! Fat little fuckers and I am sure in the spring I will have prairie rattler's ! By the way we have quilts arriving from all over the U.S. she is quite well known in the quilting world and she is my baby doll !

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters