The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Is there a reason? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is there a reason?
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2020 06:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-huh. Sure. I'm guessing we have better catfishing in Kansas than you'll find in MN, and you learn early to use live bait for bank lines to get the big flatheads at night. Big assed hook through a 6-inch live bullhead right below the dorsal fin and put him so he dangles about an inch beneath the surface. 50# flatheads pretty common here and they aren't feeding on the bottom. Thirty miles away is Milford Reservoir, presently regarded as the mecca of bluecat fishing in the Midwest. HWSRN is full of shit, as usual, but we already know that. Kinda think we were the first to boot him as I never hear of him except for here. You'd have thought he was dead. Nope, just irrelevant.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2020 03:46 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
That was back in the 1920's or so. Eating carp.
A whole lot different then to now.
The Snake river from Twin Falls to the Oregon border is nothing but a sewer. Every year when the other half goes over towards Parma to spring trap beaver and rats the dogs would jump in the river and so forth and they all would get skin problems. It even smells somewhat like a sewer. Way to many farms and so forth that line that river for that many miles.
I prefer to arrow carp. When I was little we use to use pitch forks until I ran a tine through the leg just above the ankle bone and missed the Achilles tendon. Then went to bow and arrow.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2020 04:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
As loco would say thanks Leonard for
the hotdogamacation. My business partner and I would go once a year to Teds hot dogs in Tempe he (Ted) was from Buffalo NY and made many kinds of dogs and
sausage including the White hot all Veal dog. we would always get two of the foot long chili dog!
Everything was cooked over charcoal that was my hot dogs for the year .
My wife thinks they are disgusting so I always tell what else are they gonna do with that stuff when they clean the floor! Actually there was never any thing better than a chili dog made properly with grated cheese not that cheese snot they try to pass off now! diced onions and lotsa mustard !!!

[ February 14, 2020, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2020 09:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school, yes there was the school cafeteria, but the food was unremarkable.

So, instead, one of the places we went was The Pit, on Garvey and Hoyt. It is gone now and has been gone for, (guessing?) ten years or so? Brick building, the whole front was wide open, if there was and inside, I don't believe I was ever in there? They had a roofed area on the side with picnic benches.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if they had anything else on the menu besides the best friggin' Chili Dog on the Planet. And, like you said, it came on a soft type bun-and they were pretty generous with the chili. The rest of the stuff we applied ourselves, the sweet relish, chopped onions, and yellow mustard. We were normal size growing boys, but one of those Chili Dogs was a meal, and if we could afford a soda, Great! But that Chili Dog was 25 cents, also the best bargain on the planet! These wieners were grilled, always had burn marks to make them look yummy.

I can say that I never got tired of The Pit's Chili Dogs and every time I build one for myself, I try to replicate Chili Dogs I got from The Pit when I was 15, or so? Before that, I didn't know anybody with a car that would let me tag along. That's where sports helped out, and there were always older teammates the did have wheels.

Once in a while we went to Bob's and their special was a hamburger on toasted sandwich bread, the square loaf But he had a delicious spread and they were more than a quarter. If we knew we were coming, he would have them started before we got there because for a while, we sort of regulars.

HOWEVER, this is pure fact, and you can check it out. The number one location, the hangout for El Monte High School kids was The In and Out. Emphasize: This was the place, Friday and Saturday and all weekend. It was years later that I found out that this location on Valley Blvd and almost Peck Road was not part of the chain! WTF? No, the real actual name was, "RUSS' BURGERS" But I didn't now that for years later. Of course, everybody went to the actual In N Out's all over town, but this particular one was the hangout. The burgers were the best, but you couldn't go there for lunch, only one drive through line and the cars were always stacked.

I don't know why I'm admitting this but I was a bit of a rowdy, in high school, fights all the time. I don't think I looked for it, but I didn't back away from it either. Anyway, that's my version. The US Army was the same thing, always fighting with other Army guys, but especially Krauts, who fought like girls. Everybody over there thought they was bad asses, just because they had beat up a few Germans.

Another stroll down Memory Lane with El Bee,
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters