The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Is there a reason? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is there a reason?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2020 06:36 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The spring topic was locked?

LB, I know for a fact that the people of Iowa use to eat carp.
My grandparents did to keep from starving.
Had an old neighbor when I was a kid come by and grab a carp or two for dinner that I had shot.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1102 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2020 06:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Must have been a big mistake? I was posting on a little iphone, so it’s easy to poke my finger incorrectly. Sorry!
Go ahead and contribute, if you wish. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31275 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2020 05:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never eaten carp but have heard that cleaned properly and prepared it is good eatin !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2020 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, it's kinda like eating possum. Sure, meat's meat, and all that. There's no reason why I couldn't trap a few roof rats and make tacos, mourning dove don't have as much meat and we eat them?

Where wuz I? Oh yeah. Carp are kind of disgusting, to me. I have fished them and caught them quite a bit but there is nothing appetizing about them, if you ask me?

Of course, I feel the same way about catfish. It's in my head and I can't get it out. A rainbow is a clean attractive looking fish. As it happens, I do not care for most trout, but they still do not look ugly, for starters.

I like the hell out of bluegill or what we have always called "sunfish" up in Minneesota. A crappy is a little bit muddy, as a comparable panfish, but I could eat the hell out of a mess of brim or bluegill or sunfish, pumpkinseed, Red Ear. whatever. They grow a lot bigger out here than in Minnesota. I've never caught a great deal of smallmouth bass, but I think the Florida strain we have out here are very edible. Carp are not worth putting in the boat.

We used to get other trash fish, Gar, dogfish, Red horse sucker, eels and most of them were in the actual Mississippi river, not the other 10,000 lakes in that state.

Besides, I'm already a finicky eater, stuff like organ meat, brain, liver, chicken gizzards....yuck!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2020 09:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny the way we look at food.
If you eat lobster ........... you're a food connoisseur.
If you eat crawfish .......... you're a redneck.
I'll take catfish over trout any day of the week.
As far as carp, if you try to fix them like you would bluegills ........... you ain't gonna end up with a plate of something that tastes like bluegills. However, properly cleaned and smoked or made into fishcakes, they can be pretty tasty.
And ......... as a wise man once said; "Smoked carp tastes just like smoked salmon if you ain't got no salmon."

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7487 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2020 12:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I plumb forgot about smoking! That is one way to do a carp.

When I was a kid, in Minnesota, they had a forerunner of the Supermarket called the Red Owl and they would have Whitefish stacked in barrels, on end, and they were smoked and my dad would buy one once in a while. I think they netted them in Lake Superior, skinny fish probably not much more than a pound. But, they were smoked and dried and actually quite tasty, even for me and I have never been much of a fish eater.

It's just interesting as hell how smoke can cure a lot of meat and fish. We used to get cold smoked ham. It was cured and would last a long time but still had to be cooked, before you could eat it. Much finer textured than the normal way we cure ham. It's hard to understand exactly how smoke preserves meats.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 05:06 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When I could eat it catfish was a favorite !
And damned near anything smoked was good !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 06:23 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Carp are used to make gifiltefish, a appetizer used in some of the jewish religious holidays. There are loads of them in the Hudson River, there were caught and held in clean water for a period before consuming. I worked on the Hudson River after college doing fisheries research, enjoyed the work but loathed New York.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 06:37 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ted !!!!
Hard to believe that carp are Kosher but Shellfish are not.
Did you get any of this rain that came thru ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7487 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 07:01 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we got some of the rain, probably enough to make the two tracks messy. The Cochise Stronghold has a little dusting of snow, probably be gone by this afternoon. When does the carp shooting start?
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 07:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
They tell me the spawn in Roosevelt is in late March / early April.
I'm still looking for 'the place' to get into summer-long bowfishing. Possibly Lake Martinez on the Colorado.

--------------------

tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 08:02 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well good luck shooting carp. I am planning extended trip to the Lower Laguna Madre for Speckled Trout and Redfish in April and May. I would like to try the bowhunting for carp sometime. Shooting any coyotes?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 08:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
gifiltefish gegiltefish, I can't figure out how to spell it and neither can Sierra, but I do recall what it is and what it is made of....CARP!

The thing is, most of that ethnic food is pretty disgusting, to my mind. I am NOT an adventurous eater! I won't even eat Yogurt, "live cultures"? Forget that shit! And, let's face it, almost all Italian cheese stinks like some bush babies underwear! British? Kidney pie? Disgusting!

Has anybody discovered what's in Menudo? Cabezza Tacos just LOOK nasty; with the main ingredient staring you in the face! I've seen those guys wrap a nice juicy brain in aluminum foil and steam it. It breaks apart in bite size morsels with a nutty flavor, (so I'm told) BARF!

Just the idea of eating those fat grubs makes my stomach flip! Forget survival school, I'll have the lemon grass, please!

Have you ever seen coyote turds consisting 100% of grasshoppers? Sure seems kinda scratchy exit, if you ask me? Hell, I can't stand the thought of raw oysters, and yuck, yuck, it reminds me of a certain genitalia.

I'm just a creep. Sorry!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 08:19 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard
Tacos de sesos Nuthin like em !

--------------------

tedo
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 08:31 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago during some of my Arctic Alaska and Greenland jobs I had the opportunity to try some of the marine mammals, seal,walrus, whale.It was nasty. The best analogy would be Pennzoil soaked rotten coyote. When asked how I liked the mukluk (whale blubber) I responded in a negative manner and was informed by the eskimo that I should put A1 sauce on it. The musk ox was OK as well as caribou but during rut the caribou stunk pretty bad, the wife requested that I not bother to shoot any more caribou.
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 08:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ted;
Shooting at coyotes, yes.
Hitting coyotes, not so much but finding most of my arrows.
Been shooting tournaments lately. Apache Bowhunters Globe Az. Facebook page. I'm the handsome guy with the white beard. [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to what?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 11:04 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody 'cept Willie Jack the guy who looks and plays the git-tar & sings like that Willie Nelson feller. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2020 06:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't been able to eat many Kansas fish since my calling mentor remarked about how they lived in those streams where all the ag chemicals concentrate. Finned tumors. Now that's a yech.

That said, I fish for the fight and it's hard to top a big old buffalo carp nosing into the bottom. Easy to find 50-60# carp here if you go looking. Funny thing is where do they stay? Last summer, when the river flooded 3 different times, the fields on either side would be crawling with huge carp. Lotsa people fishing wheat fields for carp. Millions of them. LOL Always left to wonder where they go when the waters recede.

On catfish, the hypocrisy. Putting a nice channel cat next to a flathead and the channel looks to be the clean one. Except, channels are scavengers while flatheads are predators, thus the cryptic markings. Yet, most people will eat the shit eater first.

Funny how our upbringing effects our food tastes. Was talking to as Missouri DoC biologist one day and we got onto how few people eat what we trap. Told him it stood to reason since most of us are from a Judeo-Christian culture that frowns upon eating certain types of meat, like rodents, scavengers and carnivores. Pretty much everything we trap is one or more of those.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2020 04:11 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I like bobcat , though I have never had any I have heard mountain lion to be excellent ! Tried coyote once they taste just like they smell !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2020 09:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess most cats, at least the back-strap is fairly good eating, a light meat, more like chicken than pork. I have had some African Lion, a club member had it flown airfreight along with his rug, intending it for his dog, which is pretty pricy dog food, if you ask me? But, as I remember, it tasted sorta kinda like bobcat, but I only nibbled at both of them. I'm a real puss about weird stuff, kinda like how little kids won't eat the steak or the chicken with the grownups but will happily gorge on hotdogs.

You know, some years ago there was a big, huge expose' about the ingredients in ordinary hotdogs. If you go to the USDA regulations and the list of exactly what can be used it's enough to make anybody swear off wieners or "franks".

They list things like entrails and hog snouts and just about everything from soup to nuts. And don't get me started on the most recent trend of using poultry instead of more traditional ingredients.

But, here's the thing. Ethnic people have been using less than premium cuts when making various sausages for hundreds of years and what's the USDA supposed to do? So they allow these things rather than OUTLAWING these things.

This does not mean that your average hotdog contains pig snouts! far from it. The reality is that an average load in a smokehouse probably has at least $25,000 worth of ham, bacon or baloney, or....hotdogs. The fact is, the ingredient recipe is a closely guarded secret. They adhere to it strictly, they cannot afford to trash a whole batch with pig snouts so they ACTUALLY use a very good grade of chuck steak, something they know to be stable.

Now, the actual original wieners were made of beef and pork and veal, and delicious! Well, the Liberals have put the CABASHES to veal, and jews do not eat pork so they make an all beef wiener just for them, and they are called "Franks". But, they are not as tasty as the blended wiener, which you do not see any more. You will see a bastard hotdog with either/or chicken or turkey and beef, maybe some pork, but everybody has their own recipe. And, that's what I mean, the makers are allowed to use just about anything in their "Head Cheese" but they don't because there is not enough snouts to go around, in the first place, and second, they want a reliable repeatable ingredient.

I've seen them fill dumpsters with Bologna that might have split open due to some fukup in the process, and that makes very expensive hog food. It's not common, at all but does happen. Processed sausage type of meats are very complicated. Not only that, but cold cuts, as a category, is not inexpensive, per pound.

There is a local market chain called Gleasons, I think is how it's spelled? The closest one to me is probably 20 miles, most are located in the san Fernando Valley, but they make a friggin' hotdog you can't believe! It's kinda fat like a bratwurst, and they have the casing, it's not peeled. And, one is a meal. I have no idea what it's made of but they are tasty as hell.

And, now you are all knowed up on the Great American Hotdog!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 12, 2020, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2020 11:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but where can you get a good bowl of Haggis ????? [Razz]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2020 12:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
NO! With a gun to my head, NO!

PS Aren't you the one that claims that all it needs is a little Catsup?

[ February 12, 2020, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2020 01:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. It's a trick question. There's no such thing as a good bowl of Haggis.
Possibly you're thinking of the Nameless One ????

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2020 08:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Ha! He has chimed in, wants me to straighten out Lance on his catfish stories, says he got it backwards! But he's always triggered by Lance anyways. Never fails! Lance posts something about the sun rising in the east and HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED, writes me and says, "Tell Lance he got it backwards!" And, he wonders why?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: But, PS maybe the people in Iowa eat carp but the people in Minneesota are smarter than that. They do not eat carp, in my recollection?

[ February 13, 2020, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters