The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Your stuff when you croak?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your stuff when you croak?
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2020 06:56 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Guessing that most here, own more than a rifle, shotgun, .22 rimfire and the associated stuff that goes with it?

Have you given any thought to what is going to happen with your firearms, reloading stuff, optics, etc.. when you die? If you play this game long, a decent-sized pile of stuff can be acquired. Not to mention; antlers, hides, mounts, etc..

Do you plan on selling it off when you no longer really need it or letting the surviving members of your family deal with it?

I think of what my wife would do with my stuff if I died, and it would likely be a pain for her to deal with. Not knowing what it is or what the value might be.

My kids don't really hunt much anymore, but still shoot occasionally. But they have never stuffed a single bullet into a case loaded with powder.

Anyway, yardsale the whole room and gunsafe?

[ February 07, 2020, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2020 08:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, I have given the matter some thought. Sometimes I think a certain individual should get a specific item. Like, my wife has a etageres, what the hell do you call those upright furniture cabinet with the glass and shelves for displaying miniature ceramics and knickknacks and I would very much like for my granddaughter in Iowa to have it and everything in it. Who do I see for this to happen? I don't have a clue?

As far as "my stuff", the main thing I worry about is whoever should be in charge of disposal and or distribution, that they would not understand the value and would even set it out at the curb for the trash on Wednesday? Besides that, with the fuked up laws we now have, I don't know if they can hand a shotgun to one and a handgun to another and as far as the STUFF, that shit has much value that very few would understand, and so that's would be my main concern, that they would cheat themselves from ignorance or awareness of the value.

It's a problem, I will grant you that. I haven't quite figured it out.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I actually remember something from years ago. A guy that I worked with and I hunted with, he came into possession of a bunch of ammunition, second hand from somebody that only knew that he had guns and hunted. This person had found (literally) in the trash, a shitload of Weatherby factory ammunition for African Big Five. He didn't own any rifle that was chambered for 340 Weatherby Magnum and 378 Weatherby Magnum, and 300 Weatherby Magnum, even. He asked me and I said I had no use for any of it but my partner had a 300 and I took a couple boxes for him. But this stuff was worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars and somebody just set it out for the trash, not even thinking that (duh) it should go with a few rifles that "would" be considered and disposed of. Anyway, this is what we are dealing with.

[ February 07, 2020, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2020 06:09 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Very good question !!!!
Need to sit down and give this some serious thought.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2020 04:07 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Niece and nephew are going to get our stuff.
Might start thinning it out somewhat and we have way to much "Stuff".
No kids of our own. There is family somewhat and friends that hunt so we shall see. Have way to many guns. His dad hunted and was a gunsmith. My dad didn't have much and he gave most of his stuff to the grandson (nephew). Niece doesn't hunt but she would like her side of the family items. Seems fair enough. If they would just come visit they could find out about more of this chit.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2020 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My son will get my firearm's my son in law all my brass bullets and reloading equip. he is a beast handloader with several Dillions . They both hunt and shoot ! and eat raw meat !LOL

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2020 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the main thing is, just bringing the question to our attention, will get the wheels turning and maybe a few of us will settle things and find contentment in knowing it's been handled.

Actual MAIN THING IS: don't let it get set out at the curb on Wednesday because somebody who has been put in charge doesn't have a clue and can't be bothered. So HEY! Spell it out in the friggin' will! Believe it or not, I do not have an updated one since the Army, lot's of things have changed since then!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2020 09:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another thing that is worrisome and more common than we thing. Label stuff!

I have a stickpin, belonged to my grandfather, Stanley. It has a Moonstone, and you can just tell that it oozes history, If I don't put it in an envelope and a short explanation so the heirloom can be fully appreciated. There's stuff like that, my grandmothers wedding band, a lapel pin celebrating my grandfather's retirement after 50 years with the same company. I'm sure, if you people ponder it for two seconds, you have stuff that needs to be I.D.'ed as a family heirloom and not discarded as junk.

My mother was a self taught seamstress. They were heavy into Square Dancing for many years and she made all their costumes. Sure, there are women that can make a dress or a blouse, but my mother made men's western shirts, dress shirts and western pants. You might as well say she was a Taylor, her costumes looked store-bought. When she passed away, what to do with all the matching dresses and men's shirts and my sister found a theatrical company in Seattle that was happy to have such an extensive western wardrobe. She thought of it because they were planning a stage revival of OKLAHOMA! and that's when she realized where that stuff would be put to better use than dumping it in a bin at the Goodwill. Know what I mean? There are so many things we leave undone. And, it's a shame, really.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2020 04:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I own nearly every tool known to man a two of most ,
my wife is a long arm quilter and we have a 14 ft. Gammill Its worth bucks deluxe . Lots of stuff and no curbside pick up the kids will sort it out. lol Ill be gone wont matter to me ! The worst part will be getting it out of here ! wasn't easy getting it here ! The property will be left to my two oldest granddaughters that way it will never be sold! They will forever have recreational land with a house !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2020 06:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what happened to the Mormon Lake property, both girls, (my second cousins) own it jointly. Makes a hell of a spot for parties and bar be ques, etc.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2020 07:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I share a fence line with Kaibab national forest they have endless opportunities !Cant leave them a fortune but I can leave them this !

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2020 08:51 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Just before Christmas, a good friend died and since he didn't have family in the area, I helped his heirs go through his stuff when they came to get things sorted out.

My friend was very organized and everything had a place, but even at that there was lots of unknowns about items and where important documents might be found.

When all was finally cleared up, it made me realize that my wife and kids don't even know how to open my gunsafe or where to find the combination. That also got me thinking about other things that would be a major headache for my family if I get struck by lightning.

I've taken to getting the things I use and know more organized in case something were to happen.

Like my buddy said right before he died, "It's just stuff" but that stuff, can be a bit of a problem if you don't know what or where it is.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters