The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Woodstove ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woodstove ???
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2020 01:46 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Woodstove question for Paul or Earthwalker or anybody.
Do you ever 'treat' your woodstoves like one would 'treat' cast iron cookware ???
And .......... if you do, what kind of oil do you find best ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 10, 2020 03:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit that I don't know much about it?

But how can you burn anything in a wooden stove? Are they lined with fire retardant or what?

I think you got took, my friend!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I'm probably wrong, with Hi Tech, damned near anything is possible?

[ January 10, 2020, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2020 03:58 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't treat my wood stove with any thing. I guess I don't know why it would ever be needed.
Mine is an old earth stove. Looks as good as it did when it was new in my aunt/uncles house many years ago.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2020 06:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, are these things cast iron, maybe?

I have camped in wall tents that had flat steel construction, rectangular wood stoves on rod legs and a door in front. For the size they throw a lot of heat. Just have to split logs in quarters.

I looked at wood burning stoves for my room addition, but when inspectors started talking about 3 foot clearance from the back wall, and forget what else, I lost interest.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2020 08:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The cast iron kettle that sits on my woodstove for decoration was looking a bit scruffy around the edges so I wiped it down with olive oil. Major improvement. Got the matte black back. Tried the oil on a spot on the back of the woodstove & it shows promise.
Was wondering if anybody else cleans up a stove this way ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2020 08:39 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a Buck stove insert for years. Never treated it with anything and have never heard of anyone else doing it.

Removed creosote once a year but that was it.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2020 11:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should let him do it, Semp. He obviously needs something to do? It might even improve the looks of the stove, friends will admire such a beautiful stove, (which they never noticed before) He will be praised and his wife will let him know how proud she is of him, later that night. I view this as an opportunity not to be missed. Tomorrow is soon enough, it’s a little late to start on it tonight.
It’s a shame he doesn’t know how to take a picture of it....or he doesn’t know how to “post” pictures, one or the other?

So go ahead, you got the green light!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2020 04:08 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago when first starting out on lookouts. The first lookout had a wood cookstove for heat and cooking/baking.
As the stove would cool down from morning cooking, I would take wax paper and go over the top of the stove. It cleaned the top up and gave it a nice shin. Learned from my folks.

As for wood stoves now a days I don't do a thing other than get ash off. At the end of wood burning season I take the water pot off scrub the top of the stove/clean it then touch up the wear mark with stove paint for the summer.

My water pot is a cheap cast iron that I keep oiled up but use Camp Chef cast iron conditioner. There is also a cleaner for cast iron by the same company.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2020 05:50 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
After the season When everything is done I wipe it down with olive oil and let it sit gives off a smell at first fire no big deal they are more than happy to sell you lots of shit to treat your stove from shine to stove black never needed any of it !

[ January 11, 2020, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters