The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Quick question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick question
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2020 02:23 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here use an external sound bar for their TV?
At times I have a hard time hearing the tv and the other half says it's too loud.
I think it's more to do with tones. I've changed it several times to listen to in those changes and all sound dull and muted to me.
Thinking about one just don't want to spend a ton at this time.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2020 02:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife ordered an 'Avantree' set-up thru Amazon.
She has a BluTooth earpiece and loves it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2020 03:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me more!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2020 06:22 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all can get TV reception over there ?

I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

My wife keeps the TV @ a whisper. I just look @ the screen.. [Smile]

My daughter even complains when she's here.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2020 06:55 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We look right at the mountain top with all the over the air antennas.
Real nice don't get a lot of channels but I'm sure not paying for any of them.
Don't have a smart phone and don't do blue tooth. Had to go on youtube to see how to get the other half's phone to hook up to the no hands blue tooth thing in his pickup.
It's funny I'm at the computer which is a few feet from my recliner and I can hear it better at the computer than at the chair 3 feet difference. Driving me crazy at times.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2020 05:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My new favorite word is HUH?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2020 06:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The nice thing is, I'm at rock bottom. It can't get any worse. So, earplugs are mostly a waste of time and energy. Yes, I wear them when at the range, stuff like that, but when hunting, I think it's too important to hear what I can, rather than miss any audible signals, such as a hail or horn honking, vehicle driving by, explosion from Barry Goldwater, etc.

But, I do mis a lot of conversation on the TV. I notice that everybody else is happy to have the volume at 35 and I need it at 75 and still can't understand everything.

But, I was an idiot not to claim a hearing loss when discharged. It's been going on that long and I really feel like it has not gotten any worse.

I may have mentioned this before, but? After our club meetings, we would stand out in the parking lot for an hour bullshitting the same old shit that old farts always talk about. But, the funny part is that people could hear us plainly, a couple blocks down the street....and we were still saying: "HUH" face to face!

Old guys rule, and all that shit, but they can be pretty hilarious, too!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2020 01:49 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
we bought a Vizeo sound bar from Walmart couple years ago. Wasn't all that expensive. Really makes the audio much better, actually have some base tones now that the tiny speakers couldn't deliver.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 04:14 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Vizeo it works well, with my pain issues sleep is not always an option I watch TV late into the night and don't wake Mamma !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 04:57 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I played with the volume/tones yesterday and ran most as high as they would go and that has improved the sound quality a lot.
Going into the somewhat bigger city next week and there is a computer store on steroids there going to go in and look around.
I know just order from Amazon. I like to look first and think then maybe pull the trigger.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 07:48 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think Idaho Falls has a best buy ? maybe try there ?
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 09:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep promising myself to never set foot in a BestBuy store. They seem to fuck up everything. This has been going on for a number of years and I keep going back.

I HATE BEST BUY!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 10:06 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave A, that's a 3 hour drive this time of year and we're having daily snow storms.
Got to go into Salmon an hours drive or so.

Yeah, I don't like Best Buy either. They charge restocking fees regardless when you bring anything back.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 01:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What am I missing? Can't you have Amazon deliver and save a 3 hour drive? And, I know you just said, above why you would rather look first. In some cases, a drive in inclement weather is avoidable when you can have it delivered tomorrow and send it back the next day and all for less than the cost of the gas to go to the brick and mortar store. I don't really like Amazon, so why am I suggesting it? Beats me? However, there is a place for that type of service. I actually do buy slightly more stuff from catalogues than in person, showering and dressing and fighting & driving, and the parking, not to mention the exhaustion. Shopping is tiring.

One thing though. A couple days ago, me and Tillie went to BassProShops because they are canine friendly and I like showing her off. I walked out of there, and changed my mind, (due to the weight of all that ammo) so I hunted down a cart to roll out of there with all that ammo. While standing in line to qualify and show my credentials, etc. I happened to notice two pallets of ammo. One was bulk boxes of 22 rimfire and the other was just 9mm Lugar. First of all, apparently they sell a shitload of ammunition to have it hauled out in the aisles in locked pallet cages that were standard width and length, whatever that is 48X48, maybe? by about 2 foot high; a lot of ammo!

But, here I am in The People's Republic and I am not allowed to order from Natchez, which used to be my favorite. So, you don't know what you are missing until it's gone. Mail order is something everybody takes for granted, but they quit mail order of firearms with the Kennedy Assassination, and now I can't shop for the best price on ammunition from out of state.

Anyway, mail order is a good, convenient thing. I can still buy clothes and boots mail order.... for the present. I might be overly dramatizing this but the fact is, I have lost incrementally, a little freedom.

Do what you need to do.
Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 05, 2020, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 02:56 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
LB you're not missing anything.
I'm not going to Idaho Falls anytime soon.
I do have to go to Salmon next week.
Just thinking out Loud doubt buying a sound bar.
Worse comes to worse I'll buy off of Amazon.
Just trying to get the spending down on stuff that really isn't needed.
Haven't gotten a retirement check and it might be another month.
Yeah government at it's finest. Worst thing about retiring just before the holidays. Nothing gets done from T-day until the first full week after the New Year.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 03:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered! I got a modest raise in social security, I think twenty bucks? That’ll buy a coupleDouble/Doubles!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2020 07:26 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost a year ago, I got myself a pair of hearing aids. Nothing fancy. Miracle Ear units that were less than my plan allowance so they didn't cost me anything. First guy I went to at the "Professional Hearing Center" "tested" me and agreed that I had hearing loss, and that where it was in the frequency range, he couldn't do anything about it. Cost me $125 to be told that. Went to Miracle Ear a couple days later where they did a shitload more testing, including this little diddy where they had my wife sit knees to knees with me in a quiet room while she read a list of words at a normal level for her voice. I had my eyes closed and had to repeat back each word. I was unable to understand her 80-some % of the time. Audiologist told her that I wasn't lying - I cannot hear her voice because of the frequency @ which she speaks. Little higher or lower, I'm good. Asked them if they had such a unit that would "hear" her voice, then retransmit it into my ear at a different frequency so I could hear it. I guess they do, to an extent, but not that I can afford.

The bozo at the "professional hearing center" told me there wasn't anything to be done for my tinnitis. Gonna have to live with it. Gwen at ME told me that hearing aids would help to reduce the tinnitis, and I'll be damned, she is right. When I do wear them, they help immensely. Even hearing tracks on the car stereo that I'd never heard in old songs before.

When I win the lottery, I'll buy me a bluetooth set that syncs with my TV, my phone, the shitter, the wife, so I can hear everything even with the volume turned down to the rest of the world.

As to the soundbar, if you had some way to determine the ranges where your hearing loss is (hearing loss isn't always across the entire scale, I can pick coyotes yelping and sirens at a distance through a cacophony of noise), you might be better able to pick one out that allows you to custom set the different frequency ranges to boost the ones you struggle with a bit more.

Now, if the wife can only learn that I really can't hear her voice and she needs to speak clearly and not be looking the other way when she talks and not get pissed when I "ignore" her because she can't remember that I'm stone deaf to her voice especially in my right ear because she sits on that side and,..... breathe in.... married life is grand!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2020 02:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody tried those Walker Game Ears as general purpose hearing aids ?????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2020 04:05 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Right now Costco probably has the best deal on bluetooth hearing aids. Neighbor got a pair this fall and loves them.
Another friend got a pair earlier last year and loves them. Cost is way below anything else on the market.
I can hear most things but this TV tone has been bothering me the most. Come spring might make an appointment with Costco and go have my ear tested and see what happens. I know the other half need a pair bad. He's tone deaf to my tone of voice too.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2020 08:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As to what Lance is saying above; it's like this: Tinnitus is a fact of life, it's incurable. You have to learn to unconsciously "tune it out".

So, what happens is an INTERFERENCE. You have these tones in your head that interferes with the frequencies in speech and other sounds. Okay, some of it is going deaf but with tinnitus, it's that frequency of the ringing that drowns out the sounds of speech.

I have problems with words and sounds that have an "F" or a "S" or a "C", you might say hissing type speech sounds.

I do not know what anybody is talking about with this "bluetooth" stuff? But, my hearing aids are digital, meaning they can program certain frequency ranges to amplify what you can hear and to dampen frequencies that are constant and are interfering and keeping me from understanding what people are telling me.

Full disclosure. For myself, I would never have spent the money, at the time it was about four thousand bucks, but Nancy was tired of repeating everything. It wasn't her fault, but when she would be talking to the window while we were driving, it definitely didn't help. Also, there are times when she would speak a sentence with 20 words and one single word that was incomprehensible made the whole thing not understandable. AND THEN, SHE WOULD REPEAT EVERY FUCKING WORD, EXCEPT THE WORD I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND! This might be hard to explain, <shrug> I don't know?

Simple amplification is not a perfect solution, but turning up the volume on the TV is all we have. Now we come to these "Bluetooth" solutions and "Vizeo" and that's where I get off. Does it work like digital hearing aids or does it just amplify all sound coming from the TV, I don't know?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS, I can tell you one instance where I like to wear the aids is on a stand. Then I can better hear what is playing without blasting it.

edit: I read an article in either Guns and Ammo or American Hunter, don't know which? Anyway, the guy that bought Burnham Bros. is working on ultra high frequencies, sounds that cats and coyotes hear that we can't. Wonderful! Except I'm such a genius that I was playing around with that more than 25 years ago, just for my own benefit. Oh yeah, and I had a working model of a Foxpro before the Dillons were in grade school, when nobody had a portable electronic caller but I had a 8 track Motorola installed in an aluminum box I made myself run on a motorcycle battery. Kind of a pioneer, you might say, but I did do some of this shit 50 years ago. Oh well....

[ January 06, 2020, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters